Sleeper Spam

We let one sneak through and I need to take responsibility. I simply was too tired last night to do the normal investigation and he came on when most of the other mods were sleeping (first clue) We had a fellow claiming to live in Texas who was posting from Nebraska from an IP address listed on at least 3 blacklist directories. I didn't check until this morning. One of our members was on the stick (THANK YOU) and sent a message immediately warning of a similar scam she had heard about on a Facebook sight.

This particular fellow joined over two years ago and never made a single post until yesterday. It happens on boards more often than you think. We were immediately suspicious and decided to wait until he crossed the line, had I done what I should have we wouldn't have waited. Fortunately he only friend one person (necessary to send messages) who happens to be a mod.....

Should any of you EVER get a friend request from someone who makes you uncomfortable or offers good and services please let one of us know immediately

I want to assure all of you that despite this lapse of a few hours, that this is one of the safest boards out there. While I have been accused of being heavy handed, strongly opinionated and intolerant of alternative ideas, I don't much care. Opinions and experiences are welcome. As I have said before I don't care if someone believes in the tooth fairy, but the instant they suggest you stop brushing your teeth and contributing to your 401K depending on under the pillow gifts from the ol' gal as your teeth fall out, they likley will be poofed and their posts with them.

People with chronic illness are desperate, even I'm on the lookout for the next great thing. BUT that also makes us easy marks for the scammers out there. ON THIS BOARD we will err on the side of caution. I consider each of you an important and valuable friend (REALLY) and go out of my way to make sure the information shared here is correct and the information shared safe. I blew this one please forgive me. I will do better moving forward. We have a great team that was all over this by 5:00 AM (my time)

Lamb, you have nothing to beat yourself up for .... you were on it as soon as. One of the reasons that I joined and continue to stay on this board is because of its quality and the superb job that all you mods do. I don't think anyone expects you all to have x-ray vision all of the time ...... and anyway sometimes when there is a bit of a strange or contentious member it brightens up a dull day while I wait for them to be poofed. Thank you for this excellent board.

You made me laugh Jules! Yeah sometimes the drama on the board is even more interesting than TV or watching my chickens isn't it.

Thanks Mods for getting right on it. I was sleeping as usual!

Thank you, tnt and other mods! This is a good website.I had joined another site, too, but haven't gone back to it because people were being jerks on it and saying really mean and judgmental things. They sounded ignorant and opinionated, and I don't think they're looking to help others.

Actually whilst lamb is off being the sacrificing soul, i admit it was me who first said “lets wait till he crosses the line before we take action” (even though every mod could smell snake oil…,)

So I have to fess up, sorry :slight_smile:

I’ve always loved this board because there’s plenty of freedom to talk about stuff that really matters, but snake oil salesmen and the like often have a rather amusing and unceremonious departure!

My fellow mods on this board, and some of the members, deserve enormous thanks for this.

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

You and all the mods do a great job for us. Thank you for being a great team!!

I love this board and feel safe here because of all you mods and what you do. So the odd scammer might occasionally get through for a very short time, no worries. You were on it. :)