I missed you, did you miss me?

In case nobody noticed, I've been absent a bunch. Busy Semester, new resident Program, My granddaughter started High school, Had new "nannies" and the fishing sucks.

All that aside I wasn't expecting a hijacking crisis here....... I should have been suspicious from some of the e-mails I got about people saying they were not getting the support they once did because several folk were dominating every discussion with their issues.

I know we all want to tell folks having a tough time they are not alone, that's great, but I could not believe number of threads literally taken over by someone other that the OP making it about them. The other mods asked me to be gentle so I am.

The most important thing we can do is when somebody feels safe enough to express they are having some difficulty or a problem, to one up them or the kiss of death "THAT's EXACTLY LIKE ME BUT...... Please lets make it about the OP (or your post may disappear) and keep the thread on topic.

There will be a new category going up in the next few days called "list your symptoms" That should help. Now everybody can see whats going on with everybody else and maybe realize they aren't so different afterall.

Oh and please don't respond in all capital letters. Its considered very rude and is disturbing to many........ I'd sooner see bad capitailzation. None of us with PsA can type very well, so don't sweat the typos....

Yep lamb you were missed :slight_smile:

Indeed you were!

I missed you, Lamb, but then I’ve missed everyone because I’ve been travelling for four weeks, and without good internet access.

Between rounds of catch-up laundry and an email/mail backlog, I’m trying to get back up to speed on what’s been happening here. I’ve noticed some unhelpful hijacking as well. Our purpose is to support each other, and sometimes that doesn’t come easily or naturally on a board like this. So I’d just like to reinforce what Lamb says: respect the poster by keeping the thread on topic and about them. (By all means, share your experiences, but keep the focus on the poster.) If you need it to be about you, start another thread. And don’t forget that Blogs is a great place to let it all hang out … oh dear, at my age, that’s a truly scary image. LOL

So, I’m going to be catching up on what I’ve missed in the last four weeks. See you “out there”. Thanks, Lamb, for the reminders.

Totally missed you. Loved the response to Louise re. her friend.

Oh how I have missed you Lamb and Seenie! Welcome back! Lamb sorry about the fishing! What type of residents?

Seenie would love to hear of you travels in a different spot.

Glad you are back!

Yep...sure did and missed Seenie too! Welcome back :-)

I missed you too Lamb! But then I’ve been away too because of a combination of ever escalating work commitments and remote sites without Internet.

Welcome Back!

I will do a blog soon. Wonderful trip, except for the extreme medical tourism. LOL … stay tuned.

Kirsten said:
Oh how I have missed you Lamb and Seenie! Welcome back! Lamb sorry about the fishing! What type of residents?

Seenie would love to hear of you travels in a different spot.

Lamb....I'm sorry but I haven't seen anyone typing in capital letters. There are people who have been having a rough time and have made that clear. For the most part I see the information of sharing, real and supportive. Maybe if moderators have a problem with some one, they could actually address it rather then waiting for you to come back and say something ? To my knowledge the site has been running great, information, supporting one another....a lot of new members too :-)

Trust me TaraLynn its been taken care of. The smooth flowing board is because of a lot of work. There has been more "moderation" of late than in a very long time (there are missing posts AND missing members.) Moderators prefer to be a part of the conversation, not directing it and not sending out nastygrams or telling adults to be polite. Remember we all have very active disease too. (We hate to moderate any post believing they are made with good intent even though it may be missed) The mods get an auto email of every post with the first part of it. Even though we may not be "active" if we have internet service we have some clue of the content. All Caps posts are almost always eliminated on the spot. Anything else is discussed among the mod group. Discussion boards are not the wild west there is a LOT etiquette involved. not everybody is aware of it there are multiple sources for internet etiquette (netiquette) if one has questions

FWIW this site has over 2000 members representing 115 countries, Its most active times incidentally are between midnight your time and 6:00 AM. All the mods have recieved some complaints We decided as a group to try and make a light hearted attempt to pass on some gentle reminders. I got the job because I have the thickest skin and frankly just say it which is what they really wanted to do anyway. Our mods are in not just the US either..... We have Great Britain, Australia, the Philippines among other countries. Not all the mods are members of the group

I understand and I guess I am oblivious to what is going on in the back ground as I am seeing a lot of really good info and support :-) Thanks for the clarification. The moderators have been wonderful, both supportive and informative. I appreciate the time and energy you all put forward to keeping things running smoothly :-)

tntlamb said:

Trust me TaraLynn its been taken care of. The smooth flowing board is because of a lot of work. There has been more "moderation" of late than in a very long time (there are missing posts AND missing members.) Moderators prefer to be a part of the conversation, not directing it and not sending out nastygrams or telling adults to be polite. Remember we all have very active disease too. (We hate to moderate any post believing they are made with good intent even though it may be missed) The mods get an auto email of every post with the first part of it. Even though we may not be "active" if we have internet service we have some clue of the content. All Caps posts are almost always eliminated on the spot. Anything else is discussed among the mod group. Discussion boards are not the wild west there is a LOT etiquette involved. not everybody is aware of it there are multiple sources for internet etiquette (netiquette) if one has questions

FWIW this site has over 2000 members representing 115 countries, Its most active times incidentally are between midnight your time and 6:00 AM. All the mods have recieved some complaints We decided as a group to try and make a light hearted attempt to pass on some gentle reminders. I got the job because I have the thickest skin and frankly just say it which is what they really wanted to do anyway. Our mods are in not just the US either..... We have Great Britain, Australia, the Philippines among other countries. Not all the mods are members of the group

Hi, TaraLynn
Yes, there’s a surprising amount of activity that goes on behind the moderators’ curtain. We try to stay on top of what’s happening, and keep it all supportive. We appreciate the help that we get from members, both in the form of alerts to potential problems, and appreciative messages like yours. The mods are all in the same PsA boat as everyone else, and we all have lives in the bricks-and-mortar world. I value my friends here, and, like the other mods on the team, I want to do my bit for keeping this place special and positive. Thank you for your very kind comment!

Welcome back Seenie!

I really do appreciate this site! I have learned more and continue to learn so much! Yes there are tough days but it certainly helps being able to have people that can relate. Living with this disease is tough and it's easy to get into a negative mind set some days...especially when one is not feeling so great. It's life changing, positive and supportive feedback sure helps :-)

Seenie said:

Hi, TaraLynn
Yes, there's a surprising amount of activity that goes on behind the moderators' curtain. We try to stay on top of what's happening, and keep it all supportive. We appreciate the help that we get from members, both in the form of alerts to potential problems, and appreciative messages like yours. The mods are all in the same PsA boat as everyone else, and we all have lives in the bricks-and-mortar world. I value my friends here, and, like the other mods on the team, I want to do my bit for keeping this place special and positive. Thank you for your very kind comment!