Shoulder Tendon Inflammation

Anyone else have trouble with shoulder tendon inflammation? I have PsA in my neck and my Rh Dr keeps telling me that it is because of my neck. I go to PT 1x a week and that helps alot.

Ooooh, shoulder pain. I am right there with you. I can tell that it’s related to the tendons there. It is worst when I wake and eases as the day goes on, then kicks back up in the afternoon when I am tired. Sometimes, when I get up in the morning, I am unable to move them for 15 minutes or more. It’s sort of funny to watch me try to move my arm from its “flung-over-my-head” sleeping position to down by my side. I haven’t found anything to help it very much. I just work it out when it happens. I also haven’t mentioned it to my doc. I don’t think he really cares to hear about every ache I have.

Inflammation and weakness. A few years ago my shoulders were part of a major flare. I did PT for a few months and it helped, although truthfully I'm pretty weak there again. My neck is fine and has been fine.

And GrumpyCat, I don't necessarily mention every ache, but I do ask for a PT scrip when needed. I also try to impress on my rheumy the general direction that things are going. When I had significant tendon involvement in my ankles, esp. in my achilles, last year, was when she bumped up my meds.

I have had cortisone injections in both shoukders twice now. It helped for about 6-7 months at a time. I totally understand Grumpycat about trying to get your arm down in the morning. Such intense pain.

I have tendonitis in my shoulder, wrists, ankles and knees. It seems that is the major symptom for me. Its been this way for almost a year. I am now taking sulfasalazine and I am beginning to get some relief from the pain.

Thanks - I am going to ask for some cortisone shots and see if that helps. It is bad in the am and the pm also.

Had tendon issues for aprox 10 years, only thing that helps slightly is OT. injections were worse than useless for me I’m afraid

I've had it a few times. If it's really bad I get a cortisone shot and that usually stops it cold.

Shoulder pain was possibly the first sign of the arthritis for me(other than the psoriasis). At the time I didn't put all the pieces together though (being only 33 and not thinking arthritis is already a problem). After pt and cortisone shots that did NOT work my doc ordered an MRI and found a large bone spur, impingment, and a torn tendon. Eventually I had rotator cuff surgery which has mostly helped the issue. About six months after this, my hands, wrists, ankles, and feet began hurting and feeling stiff. Now about three years later, I have extreme daily pain in my spine, neck, hips, etc. The back and neck are the worst. Looking back I think the shoulder was the first indicator. I am very gald I had the surgery because I have less pain and much more range of motion.

@ Stoney - I didn’t mean it in a nasty way. Im really sorry that it sounded that way. I’m just down on my doc right now. I mean that I don’t think HE cares. I guess I am just supposed to assume that everything I experience is just part of the disease and the Remicade and MTX will help or they won’t and then we’ll try something else. That’s the impression I have gotten lately. I have tried PT, but a lot of the time I was in so much pain that I couldn’t go, or really suffered if I made myself go. I just got a referral for aquatic PT. I think that might be easier for me to do. I just have to get myself on their schedule.

br/>

Stoney said:

Inflammation and weakness. A few years ago my shoulders were part of a major flare. I did PT for a few months and it helped, although truthfully I’m pretty weak there again. My neck is fine and has been fine.

And GrumpyCat, I don’t necessarily mention every ache, but I do ask for a PT scrip when needed. I also try to impress on my rheumy the general direction that things are going. When I had significant tendon involvement in my ankles, esp. in my achilles, last year, was when she bumped up my meds.

I called for a cortisone shot, and the gatekeeper of my RH Doc said that he was real busy today and she could get me in on Wed. I said thank you, hung up, and called the general number and told the scheduler what was going on and that I was sure that my GP could manage a cortisone shot for me, and could she please check to see if she had some time? Oh yes, she did, she couldn't get me in until 5:30pm that night, but that was OK. Then the gatekeeper was backpedalling when I came in, telling me she was just about to tell me that she'd try to get someone else to see me. I said 'you were doing no such thing. this has happened before, so I called the front desk to see if someone else could help me.' I am sure that she thinks that I am a b*tch, but I am not going to be in massive pain until Wed when I know that someone there could help me. I wasn't trying to push in front of other people, I waited until my Doc had a slot, and actually sat there until 6pm, because she had an emergency that came in, uh soccer game casualty. I DO hate to be pushed around, don't you?

Anyway, I think that the RH Doc was correct, GP said the RH said that it was all driven from my neck, (she took the time in her busy schedule to check with him), so shots in the shoulder probably wouldn't help, so gave me a right hip shot, and 3 hours later, I am doing much better. I am not sure how the swollen vert in the neck affect the shoulder tendons, but it appears that he is correct. The GP told me that I was right not to wait until next Wed, I would have been even more and more swollen up.

Thank you for your help in telling me to get a cortisone shot, I greatly appreciate it. Going to have to send them each over a personal thank you card - they were slammed in there, lots and lots of people in our small town clinic.

I’m glad you got in, even with the hassle. You can get steroid shots in the neck, and if those work, you can also get an ablation that will last longer than the steroid do. I would go to an orthopod for that though. Also, you might want some sedation to go with it. I guess you need an MRI or an EMG to determine where the the inflammation is? If it is actually caused by nerve inflammation (in the neck it usually is) the ablation burns the nerve endings so that they “die” and thereby get rid of the pain. The nerves will grow back, but it takes a year or so. You really need to find out exactly what is causing the pain in order to get a good treatment for it.

Not taken in a nasty way at all. No offense taken.

GrumpyCat said:

@ Stoney - I didn't mean it in a nasty way. Im really sorry that it sounded that way. I'm just down on my doc right now. I mean that I don't think HE cares. I guess I am just supposed to assume that everything I experience is just part of the disease and the Remicade and MTX will help or they won't and then we'll try something else. That's the impression I have gotten lately. I have tried PT, but a lot of the time I was in so much pain that I couldn't go, or really suffered if I made myself go. I just got a referral for aquatic PT. I think that might be easier for me to do. I just have to get myself on their schedule.

br/>

Stoney said:

Inflammation and weakness. A few years ago my shoulders were part of a major flare. I did PT for a few months and it helped, although truthfully I'm pretty weak there again. My neck is fine and has been fine.

And GrumpyCat, I don't necessarily mention every ache, but I do ask for a PT scrip when needed. I also try to impress on my rheumy the general direction that things are going. When I had significant tendon involvement in my ankles, esp. in my achilles, last year, was when she bumped up my meds.

Yes to the shoulder pain. My rheumy and I decided to try the cortisone injections in shoulder and knee. I think it’s still too soon to tell as were just given this week. But, I am hoping for the best. I am going to aske for a PT referral next time I go in. Good luck.

Thanks, I am going to ask him about getting an MRI to see where this is coming from, I appreciate the help.

:slight_smile:

Stoney said:

Not taken in a nasty way at all. No offense taken.

GrumpyCat said:

@ Stoney - I didn’t mean it in a nasty way. Im really sorry that it sounded that way. I’m just down on my doc right now. I mean that I don’t think HE cares. I guess I am just supposed to assume that everything I experience is just part of the disease and the Remicade and MTX will help or they won’t and then we’ll try something else. That’s the impression I have gotten lately. I have tried PT, but a lot of the time I was in so much pain that I couldn’t go, or really suffered if I made myself go. I just got a referral for aquatic PT. I think that might be easier for me to do. I just have to get myself on their schedule.

br/>

Stoney said:

Inflammation and weakness. A few years ago my shoulders were part of a major flare. I did PT for a few months and it helped, although truthfully I’m pretty weak there again. My neck is fine and has been fine.

And GrumpyCat, I don’t necessarily mention every ache, but I do ask for a PT scrip when needed. I also try to impress on my rheumy the general direction that things are going. When I had significant tendon involvement in my ankles, esp. in my achilles, last year, was when she bumped up my meds.

Not sure I responded but yes, I do have it. Have had two torn rotator cuffs and bursitis. It is painful, the area between my shoulder and neck swells up and is very hot also. My neck stays sore most of the time. I have Fibro too so the collar bone is involved in the pain so they all get together and party!

Tonite I feel like both shoulder sockets are being routed out by someone

with a drill.

I have torn rotator cuffs in each.

Ow, yep; I know what you mean, "sort of funny", I cracked up laughing albeit rather painfully this morning as i tried to reach across the bed to turn the radio on. You have to laugh or else you cry as they say ;)

GrumpyCat said:

Ooooh, shoulder pain. I am right there with you. I can tell that it's related to the tendons there. It is worst when I wake and eases as the day goes on, then kicks back up in the afternoon when I am tired. Sometimes, when I get up in the morning, I am unable to move them for 15 minutes or more. It's sort of funny to watch me try to move my arm from its "flung-over-my-head" sleeping position to down by my side. I haven't found anything to help it very much. I just work it out when it happens. I also haven't mentioned it to my doc. I don't think he really cares to hear about every ache I have.

Ouch, I've only been getting shoulder/neck problems in the last couple of months after having to come off remicade. I wholeheartedly commiserate, hope you find some solutions and fast. (Me too while we're at it ;) ).

treasure7 said:

Tonite I feel like both shoulder sockets are being routed out by someone

with a drill.

I have torn rotator cuffs in each.