Anyone experience recurrent inflammation in the elbows and shoulders (tendon sheaths)?

Several of you have written about inflammation related to the tendons, primarily achilles or other foot-related problems, but has anyone experienced recurrent tennis/golfers elbow or shoulder problems?

I'm at the point where I can't hold a cup of coffee and it's becoming so frustrating. My rheumy has order MRIs of both joints, but I'm wondering what good this will do?

Any words of wisdom? I was dx'd about 2 years ago w/ PsA which initially presented itself as "tennis and golfers elbow"...at the same time. Add a round or two of pustular psoriasis...and there you have it. The psoriasis is under control - but is the tendonitis thing just here to stay?

CiCi

Hi CiCi,

I have had troubles with the tendons in my elbow/forearm attributed to PsA. I went through about 8 weeks of occupational therapy (for some reason, physical therapy for your hands/forearms is considered "occupational" therapy), much of which involved massage which felt *great*, as well as exercises to help strengthen the surrounding muscles. That helped a great deal, but those two tendons are always prone to inflammation now, even though I'm on methotrexate and Enbrel. I don't know how useful the MRIs are to the doc or you, but I'd highly recommend physical/occupational therapy. Hope you find some relief!

Hi CiCi

I have tendon pain in my right elbow and both shoulders. I find that the medication stops me being really ill but never takes away the pain completely. Stretching and strengthening exercise helps and MRI's help me and my advisers to know what and where the level of the damage and inflammation is and to then apply appropriate exercise.

Good luck

I was dx with PsA after recurrent bouts of tendinitis in my right wrist. At the time I didn’t buy the dx… I was told there were signs of arthritis in almost every joint except my shoulders. I was referred to a rheumy and quickly received dx… Wanted second opinion because I didn’t have any pain other than my wrist and back. Second rheumy said same thing even though I didn’t have psoriasis. I honestly thought they were both nuts! Took about 3 years for the other joints to start hurting. I was dx about 15 years ago and now have problems with most of my joints. The tendinitis in my wrists can get going pretty good if I do too much. I will also randomly wake up unable to pick up my right arm due to tendon pain in my shoulder. I have had joint pain in my elbows as well… But haven’t noticed tendon pain in my elbows. So you are deffinately not alone having these problems. Hope they get you on some meds that help!

CiCi

I have had predominantly soft tissue inflammation problems in recent years with large joints only really getting involved more recently. My doc always called this soft tissue inflammation enthesitis - inflammation of tendons and ligaments where they attach to the bone. For each of the multiple times this occurred, I was lucky enough to have private health insurance through my employer and regularly went to a local private clinic who would look at the tendons on ultrasound and inject a small amount of Kenalog (corticosteroid) into the inflamed area. I had this in my foot, groin, ligaments in my back and shoulder, and... and.... everywhere! Never had tennis/golfers elbow but a little shot of Kenalog cured each and every instance within 48 hours and (so far) the same place has never got inflamed twice. Just everywhere else has got inflamed instead!!! Might we worth begging your Rheumatologist!!

Paul

Thanks Paul,

This too is what my doc called it- I've questioned him about the ultrasound/injections and he still wants to get the MRIs first...I'm on the verge of begging though ;)

PsA999 said:

CiCi

I have had predominantly soft tissue inflammation problems in recent years with large joints only really getting involved more recently. My doc always called this soft tissue inflammation enthesitis - inflammation of tendons and ligaments where they attach to the bone. For each of the multiple times this occurred, I was lucky enough to have private health insurance through my employer and regularly went to a local private clinic who would look at the tendons on ultrasound and inject a small amount of Kenalog (corticosteroid) into the inflamed area. I had this in my foot, groin, ligaments in my back and shoulder, and... and.... everywhere! Never had tennis/golfers elbow but a little shot of Kenalog cured each and every instance within 48 hours and (so far) the same place has never got inflamed twice. Just everywhere else has got inflamed instead!!! Might we worth begging your Rheumatologist!!

Paul

Thanks all for the responses. I'm still waiting on the insurance approval for the MRIs. It's actually just nice to hear everyone else's experiences. I have tried the stretching (thanks Allan), but still too sore to try any strengthening exercises. Hopefully it will resolve soon! I'm so amazed at how great everyone is on the site! The encouragment and input I read whenever I'm on is so uplifting. Thank you!

Cindy

Hi CiCi. I don’t have any answers :slight_smile: but I wanted to say hello. I also have shoulder problems and sometimes can hardly lift my arms. I just joined this site yesterday, but am amazed at all the friendly people here. Hope you feel better soon. Liz

CiCi said:

Thanks all for the responses. I’m still waiting on the insurance approval for the MRIs. It’s actually just nice to hear everyone else’s experiences. I have tried the stretching (thanks Allan), but still too sore to try any strengthening exercises. Hopefully it will resolve soon! I’m so amazed at how great everyone is on the site! The encouragment and input I read whenever I’m on is so uplifting. Thank you!

Cindy

I’m very new here too. My left shoulder is where the pains really started. It just kept getting worse and worse. I have trouble putting my jacket on as it requires me to reach back behind me which I can’t do. I now have it in my wrist, back, fingers… It progressed so quick.

CiCi,

I would seriously try physical therapy. The tendon sheath of my middle finger swelled up and the finger became close to immobile. Over the course of a month or two a physical therapist got my hand back to normal. At the time I still didn't know I had PsA, we just thought this was mechanical.

Good luck!

--Andrew

Hi Cici,

Yes, I've had tennis elbow/golfer's elbow for years now. Some days are better than others, but it never truly goes away. :-( PT does seem to help me. As awful as it feels at the time, ice will really calm it down. (If you are interested, message me and I will tell you how my PT ices the elbow. )

You may find it helpful to wait until active inflammation subsides a bit before you begin trying to strengthen the area. It might take it a little longer to heal if you overuse it while it's really inflamed.

Sorry you are having these kinds of problems and hope today is better!

Even under control there is some degree of inflammation. The little space that the tendon goes through may not be enough. The MRI can confirm that. If all else fails including injections there is a simple surgical procedure called acromioplasty that can fix up the shoulders. I've had one on each now. The relief lasted several years but came back. Don't know if I'd do it again though. This whole thing is my major issue now. Is it worse in the morning appearing during the night??? That is a big indicator of PsA. (often used in the dx protocol) I have a rheumy apt tomorrow where this is the main issue. We shall see...................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromioplasty

Yes! Exactly! My arm (shoulder/elbow), starts to tighten up in the early evening. Most of my nights are sleepless- this has been going on for about 2 months now. The previous flares I've had on this shoulder didn't stay this long, but both shoulders and elbows are always 'just a little sore'- always! X-rays have already shown damage in both of my shoulders, but the horrible elbow thing is new to my left arm (right arm 2 yrs ago- but it's calmed down). I think one aggravates the other and vice versa. Until the MRI's are approved, I'm relying on ice and heat, with stretching. But it never calms down. Mostly I'm irritated that I can't complete the small daily activities without inconvenience (as Tinman said, putting on a jacket!). Oh the joys of joint pain!

:)

tntlamb said:

Even under control there is some degree of inflammation. The little space that the tendon goes through may not be enough. The MRI can confirm that. If all else fails including injections there is a simple surgical procedure called acromioplasty that can fix up the shoulders. I've had one on each now. The relief lasted several years but came back. Don't know if I'd do it again though. This whole thing is my major issue now. Is it worse in the morning appearing during the night??? That is a big indicator of PsA. (often used in the dx protocol) I have a rheumy apt tomorrow where this is the main issue. We shall see...................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromioplasty