Shoulder pains

Hey everyone, I haven’t posted since my first time, but I keep an eye out. I’ve been having issues that I want to know if anyone else has experienced. I had a cortisone shot in my right shoulder about a week ago for some serious pain caused by what my rheum said was bursitis, tendonitis, and arthritis. The pain has gone down, but not totally gone. Then just yesterday, I am having some serious pain in my left back around my shoulder blade. It literally starts in one spot on my shoulder blade then radiates out to the whole thing and into my shoulder and down my arm. Is this sounding familiar to anyone? it feels almost the same as the right side pain, but its starting much lower almost near the bottom of my ribs on my side then moves up the back of my shoulder into my arm. My rheum told me to see an orthopedic for the right shoulder. Has anyone had any luck? I know my shoulders crack every time I move them, and they hurt almost all the time, it’s getting worse to the point where I can’t sleep. Before I got the cortisone in my right side I hadnt slept more that 3 hours a night because of it. Now my left side is just as bad and the right side is feeling achy. All this damn wet cold weather isn’t helping. Just wondering if anyones had these kinds of shoulder pains and what you have done to help the pain. I have taken IB 800mg and aleve and tylenol, nothing helps. I haven’t been back on my regular meds because I am trying to have a baby soon, and we are trying to figure out what to do. But the shoulders are getting unbearable. Going to make an appointment with an orthopedic as soon as I get my referral. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

That shooting type pain sounds to me like it could be tendons, but that's just my thought. If you're losing so much sleep, you need to go back to the doctor. You can't function like that. If you will have to wait too long, I'm wondering if going to your GP in the meantime would be appropriate.

Wishing you luck with this. It really stinks to have that much pain.

I am actually going to my GP tomorrow, hopefully he can help me. Last time I saw him he gave me tramadol, and it made me sick, so I'm not so sure what he's going to want to do for me this time. And hopefully they can get me an appointment with an orthopedic soon, usually have to wait a month for an appointment with them, but no way can I go a whole month on top of what I already have with these pains. Thanks :)

Good luck with it and post what happens here. Hopefully you'll get better relief.

Mine hasn’t been as severe, but that sharp pain from the bottom of the shoulder blade going up certainly sounds familiar.

As mine hasn’t been so severe, I’ve done nothing more than check the Internet to see if there’s a tendon there (there is).

Let me know how you get on.

I have been diagnosed with Bursitis in one shoulder and hips and Tendonitis in the other shoulder. Cortisone shots from time to time have helped. My shoulders clunk in and out especially if I rotate my arms which aggravates the joint. I have been to physio therapist and he said the rotor cuff slips a bit out of the socket. The exercises were not much help. I can no longer swim free style as this makes it worse. I don't have the shoulder blade pain. Last time I had this shoulder pain constantly and for about a year and many times before. I find gentle massage and avoidance of using my shoulders have improved but I have learned to be very careful and to avoid the clunking which seems to stir it up. Accupuncture with a Herbal injection from a doctor did help. The herbal injection was an onion concerntrate from Germany. I have moved and so has that doctor so I can't give you anymore information but I wish I knew exactly what it was because I was pain free for many years. I have had this type of pain going back over 20 years.

I have given up on trying to work out if it is PsA or something else as no doctor can tell me. For me it is more important that I work out what relieves the pain. I don't think the doctors know enough about PsA and how it affects our bodies.

I know this is not going to help much now, but when you get it under control, start doing some weight training with light weights a few times a week. I had a very similar problem in my right shoulder, I could barely move it some days, but everyday I got up, stretched and by mid-day it would start to feel a bit better so I would do some arm/shoulder exercises with 3lb weights. I've been doing this for about a year and I have absolutely no pain in my shoulder anymore. That's not to say I don't wake up in excruciating pain in a whole bunch of other joints (like last night) but my shoulder is much better than it used to be.

My sleep position effects my shoulders more than anything. I used to be a side sleeper...... no more. And angie is correct PT has more effect than anything. Just a saggin shoulder leads to massive pain.....