Bad Flare-up or Injury?

I have a really bad bout going on right now. My right arm, wrist, hand and shoulder are flaring badly. I have other areas also (neck into left ear, possibly my jaw) but this right arm/hand/shoulder are severe. I have numbness and tingling in my right fingers, espescially my index finger (pinched nerve??). It's keeping me up at night. Working on the computer (mouse) is very painful and I do a lot of computer work at my job. The never ending snow removal this winter has not helped, I overdid it a few weeks ago and am really paying now.

I see My Dr. next week (Mar. 4th). Last year I had an MRI and he said there was nothing. Nothing? Maybe it's the wrong imaging for this type?? I'm really at a loss. I see that some people report that cortisone shots help, but he doesn't seem to understand why I am in such pain. He even told me that I may just have a low pain threshold. He's a nice Dr. but that remark just tells me he doesn't get it.

Does anyone know how I may be able to communicate this to My Dr? Does anyone know what this might be? Suggestions of any type, even just coping with this condition are welcomed. It's one of the most painful things I've ever dealt with, and I'm really not sure what to do.

I'm sorry you are in such pain. I have the same issues going on now - pain in right hand, right wrist, right elbow and right shoulder. I saw my rheum dr on Monday and she gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder. It has helped a great deal, and feels so wonderful to be able to use my shoulder again. I do have visible swelling in places, so maybe that helped me get shot. My rheumy doctor is wonderful, and really listens to where my pain is. She says all my pain on this right side is cause by my tendons. I hope you can find a way to get your dr. to listen to you. I can't imagine how frustrating that is. Good thoughts for better outcome next week.

I have severe tendinitis in my right hand that travels up to my elbow. I have the trigger fingers/thumb that goes along with it. I also have bursitis in that shoulder as well, but right now it is quiet, thank goodness. I was told to try not to over use that arm, which is easier said than done. It took time for my Rheumy to get a mix of medications that helped with that particular inflammation. I did not have the numbness and tingling sensation. I had the ear/neck thing going on for about six months. We found that for some strange reason, allergies maybe, my right ear was filled with fluid that was not infected. It was draining and causing my neck to hurt. My neck was sore and achy, too. I think I was told to take a decongestant every day until it finally resolved itself. Hopefully your next visit will be a good one. Let us know what your Dr. says. :)

I have had a number of issues with nerves being “pinched” by surrounding inflammation. I have had some luck with local injections of corticosteroids. My shoulder and elbows really respond well to heat.

Can you request an accommodation at work? Dragon speak software sounds like it would help you a lot. I use it for my schoolwork and it’s awesome! :slight_smile:

JW--doctors tend not to pay _that_ much attention to "pain". What they DO pay attention to is how your ability to perform a variety of functions (putting on your shoes, walking, gripping, tying shoelaces, typing, etc.) is affected.

Make a list for your doctor of the usual work and life activities which are impaired by these conditions. Consider whether you can do them easily, with some difficulty, with much difficulty, not at all. Also list whether there are conditions that increase or decrease your symptoms (symptoms are worse after 30 minutes of typing, symptoms ease after use of heat pack).

It is through the list of altered activities that you will like get the most attention from your doctor. Good luck.

Yes, I'm with janeatiu on describing your pain by telling how it affects what you do. My experience is that they do take notice of that. Saying "it hurts", well, you have to realize how many times a day a doctor hears that it hurts. And the more specific you can be, the better the doc will listen. I'm guessing that details about how your pain interferes with your work activities will be taken very seriously.

You say that you are going to the doctor. Which doctor, your GP or your rheumatologist?

Which Witch Doctor?

Seenie said:

You say that you are going to the doctor. Which doctor, your GP or your rheumatologist?

I have a rheumatologist Seenie. He's in Ottawa, about an hour away.
Seenie said:

Yes, I'm with janeatiu on describing your pain by telling how it affects what you do. My experience is that they do take notice of that. Saying "it hurts", well, you have to realize how many times a day a doctor hears that it hurts. And the more specific you can be, the better the doc will listen. I'm guessing that details about how your pain interferes with your work activities will be taken very seriously.

Great that you are seeing your rheumatologist, JW. When I go to the rheum, I always feel like I need to make a checklist of concerns and questions, 'cuz I know it will be months before I get to see him again. In our system, you can’t just give 'em a call a couple of weeks down the road for a “supplemental” appointment.
I hope it goes well for you.

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I really think that it's mainly tendons that are inflammed, that makes perfect sense. I'm hoping that a cortisone shot or two might help: I'll be discussing this with my Rheumatologist when I see him next week.

Telling my Dr. about my limitations due to this flare rather than focusing on the pain seems like a great idea. There are many (many) things that I can't do right now, and I will be speaking with my Dr. about this as well.

Thank you to everyone who responded: )

You might start a journal of pain. Write everything down. What you eat. What your pain is on a scale from 1to 10. The time of day flare ups happen. When you take your meds. Get to know the rhythm of you body. I found out that when I eat sausage, I will have a flare up. Pork in general will cause flare ups. A combination of ice then heat works great. Always have a heating pad and ice bag at the ready!

I know it's been a while, and although I'm still waiting for test and other results, I have a bit of an update.

I saw my Rheumy about 5-6 weeks ago. I talked to him about the many I'm having since my flare-up. He took things seriously. Although he didn't give me any cortisone ( I think a shot or three may have helped) he did a thorough examination. He sent me for X-rays. He sent me for more in-depth Bloodwork. He also sent me to a Neurologist.

I'm still waiting for some type of answer. He thought that I could have carpal tunnel, but the neurologist said it was't that. Refractory pain from the shoulder he says. My right hand, two fingers and knuckles and my wrist are inflammed and painful. I think it's inflammation from my PsA ... and there is something going on with my right tricept and lateral (back?) muscles. Pain in my right forearm as well. As I said, I am still awaiting some type of answer.

Other than the obvious (pain, difficulty sleeping) I'm very concerned because: it's busy this time of year, especially with yard and other maintenance. I have other things physicallly demanding tasks to do, I actually have a lot going on this year. Then there's work. I seem to have extra fatigue of late (inflammation), I have enough of that already.

I'm not sure what else to say except that I'm very concerned. Everyone is raking and doing spring clean-up and I haven't started. I have many other things to take care of. I hate this disease and what it's doing to me !

I hired a high school student to help with my yard and garden. I don’t know if that is possible for you or not. I also purchased a key board and mouse that helps with hand and thumb issues. It helped a lot. Good luck. I hope you have less pain soon.

Like michael in vermont I get in as much help as we can afford. It has saved my sanity .... although many might question that statement ;)