Shoe blog by a Woman with RA with her personal experience & shoe recommendations

"The Ultimate Arthritis-Friendly Shoe Guide" article from Arthritis Today.

"... Kirsten Borrink agrees. After years of struggling with foot pain from rheumatoid arthritis, or RA, diagnosed in her 20s, the former teacher started BarkingDogShoes.com, a blog that showcases frank reviews of a variety of shoe styles that Kirsten, now 42, has personally tried. It includes video demonstrations of the author in action."

Full article:

http://www.arthritistoday.org/daily-living/do-it-easier/fashion/comfortable-shoes-for-arthritis.php

That was very cool! Thanks for sharing this Frances.

Thanks for posting this information. I have a pair of Naot shoes that take my orthotics. Problem is my feet swell some days and I can't wear them. I have been able to find sandles with velcro straps which are adjustable and cope with the swelling.

This is awesome info! Thanks!!!!!

From the shoe addict, thank you for the post about shoes!

I read the article and it has some really good info. When I started nursing, I gave up any shoe that wasn’t comfortable. I couldn’t bring myself to cram my poor feet into cute, but uncomfortable shoes especially after being on my feet for up to 60 hours a week. Yikes!

I know that MAT, the shoe aficionado, had a discussion not long ago about shoes that had a huge response! I love my shoes too, but now I’m kinder to my tootsies! I have donated all of my stilettos and won’t let myself buy any more. Now, I have a closet full of aerosole, dansko, born, and softt shoes. Most of them are too cute, and really comfy. Unfortunately, this week has been a slipper week. I can’t even get my tennies on because my feet are HUGENORMOUS! Maybe next week I can wear real shoes. (I HAVE gotten a lot of compliments on my slippers though!)

Good to see you MAT!

The Grumpiest of Kitties,
GrumpyCat

Grumpy Cat, What shoes do you wear for work. I'm an open heart recovery nurse and often am required to stand at the bedside for an entire 12 hour shift. My feet hurt so bad. I've tried Brooks tennis shoe and Danskos. Any ideas?

Dansko has some clogs that are much lighter weight and provide more arch support. The sole of the shoe is rubber instead of wood. They aren’t the Professional clogs. I’ll have to look at them and figure out the style. Thru are even better if you put a custom orthotic in.

The other thing I did for work is I had my doc write out restrictions for work. So when I have to work in pacu, I get a tall stool to sit or lean on at bedside. It takes some getting used to but it helps a lot. I adjust the height of the stretcher and the stool so it feels similar to standing position.I hope that makes sense.

One of my friends at work has plantar fasciitis. She orders a specific tennis shoe and has custom orthotics that she says really help a lot. It’s a big walking shoe will a nice toe box, leather, not pretty! I don’t know her brand, but I can email her and ask. She also buys a new pair about every 6 months, she says that shoes lose their support really quickly when you wear them like we do. (hours a day standing and walking)
. I also keep 2 pair of shoes in the locker room. I often switch out at lunch time. Sometimes my feet need a change of pace.

There are also some EXCELLENT topical creams that help with pain. Stronger than voltaren, they Are a custom blend of meds. I can’t remember the name, but I can find out. Get a good podiatrist to get inserts and meds made.

would love to know how to order the topical cream.

Frances,
It’s a prescription cream, so you would have to get it through your doc. I sent an email to the girls at work to find out what it it’s called. I will definitely get back to everyone about it. Apparently, it works really well. It is a mix of several different medications mixed together in a gel. It has to be special ordered from a compounding pharmacy, so if you are able to get an Rx, you’ll need to find a pharmacy that can fill it. Don’t bother trying your supermarket or any chain pharmacies; they will not be able to make it for you. I believe that you also have to get pre-approval from your prescription plan as well.

There are other Rx topical gels and creams that are easier to obtain, like Voltaren gel.

Here’s a link about the Rx compound gels
http://www.med.nyu.edu/pmr/residency/resources/general%20MSK%20and%20Pain/compound%20prescriptions%20and%20pain.pdf

Julittle,
Here is the link to the shoe company that my friend gets her shoes from.

https://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=US_en&route=c_store.browseProductsByFilterBar&SortBy=Popularity&filteredStyleList=3608,3609,3611,3801,3811,4044,4144,5004,5008,5009,5010,5011,6001,6005,6006,6007,6010,6011,6044,6107,7005,7006,7007,7010,7011,7107,8022,8032,9022,9142&leads=2013feb25_budget_uscat&yc=WBE217&cs=20130225_budget_uscat&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image±+Unbeatable+slip-resistance+under+%2440&utm_content=Unbeatable+slip-resistance+under+%2440&utm_campaign=Budget+Styles±+No+Offer±+US+Retail±+2-25-13

Wow. I had no idea that it would be that long!

Here is the compound for the gel that one of the girls at work uses on her feet. She says it’s been a life saver for her. She was in terrible shape before she started using this stuff.

CASCASDE DICLOF./BACL/BUPIV./GABA.(5)

Thanks for sharing the link GC, I'm going shopping ...

GrumpyCat said:

I read the article and it has some really good info. When I started nursing, I gave up any shoe that wasn't comfortable. I couldn't bring myself to cram my poor feet into cute, but uncomfortable shoes especially after being on my feet for up to 60 hours a week. Yikes!

I know that MAT, the shoe aficionado, had a discussion not long ago about shoes that had a huge response! I love my shoes too, but now I'm kinder to my tootsies! I have donated all of my stilettos and won't let myself buy any more. Now, I have a closet full of aerosole, dansko, born, and softt shoes. Most of them are too cute, and really comfy. Unfortunately, this week has been a slipper week. I can't even get my tennies on because my feet are HUGENORMOUS! Maybe next week I can wear real shoes. (I HAVE gotten a lot of compliments on my slippers though!)

Good to see you MAT!

The Grumpiest of Kitties,
GrumpyCat