Problemfeet and shoes...any advice?

Hello.I have problems with my toes due to pso.arhtritis.The right foot is more affected than the left.I attached a photo of it to show you with what kind of foot issue im dealing.I have problems wearing closed shoes and cant find shoes that are not looking like “grannyshoes”.The last years Im walking in tennis shoes if its not possible to wear sandals.This not looking very elegant but in the moment the only option I have.Im also dealing with corns between my toes,which can be really painful.I want to avoid an operation in the moment because I know people who have more problems then before the operation and didnt recommend me to do it.

Does anyone knows non-operative technique for the toes to straighten them out again or a shoebradn which is nice looking and comfortable ? (Not these Grandmum-Shoes).

Thank you.
652-pic1.jpg (45.4 KB)

Have you looked at footsmart..com for shoes?

I like the brand Klogs which makes shoes for people with arthritis. A very supportive foot bed covered in memory foam. I also like the shoes on Barking dogs shoes, a web site by a woman with arthritis. Good luck!

Keen brand has a wide toe box, lots of people love them for that reason (wonky toes aren't squished)

I wear LL Bean comfort mocs, because they feel like tennis shoes but look nicer. I bought the Mary Jane style for summer, because my feet can't tolerate my normal summer sandals (Birkenstocks) at the moment.

On the subject of shoes,what would you recommend for a comfortable walking shoe? TIA.

I wear the LL Bean comfort mocs for everything. They hold up in snow, rain, walking, standing, just about anything. I actually don't wear athletic shoes ever, because these have a really nice cushy insole and rugged stable sole (I've never slipped in these).

Lindseylou said:

On the subject of shoes,what would you recommend for a comfortable walking shoe? TIA.

Oh, my. I have been through it with shoes lately. I’m having a new problem of my feet swelling, so by the end of the day, nothing is comfortable! These are my solutions so far: ballet slippers (seriously), Birkenstocks, anything made by Dansko, and my Sacouny sneakers. Anything else will feel like total misery at the end of the day. I did pick up a pair of Keds open back shoes two weeks ago and wore them today. They feel really good on my tootsies! I also keep a second pair of shoes with me all the time. If one pair doesn’t feel comfortable after a few hours, I switch them up. It helps tremendously.

Dansko brand is great because even the dress shoes have a wider toe box, and they are a wider shoe in general. My feet have plenty of room to grow during the day.

Born makes great shoes too. Not the Born BOC which is their more affordable brand, but the ones that simply say Born on the insole. They have great padding, large toe boxes and are very lightweight. The sandals offer a lot of support, much more than a typical sandal. I have several pair of these, except I bought them last year and they don’t fit so well now.

You should probably see a podiatrist about your tootsies even if you don’t want to have surgery. They can have some ideas to help you that are less invasive. There are pads that you can get at the pharmacy, just little adhesive things that you can apply to the area so that the corns stop rubbing on your other toes. They can go away on their own if you can get rid of the friction. This does mean wearing comfortable granny shoes with a large toe box until they go away. Also, don’t let the horror stories of other people’s botched surgeries scare you away. Everyone seems to have a horrifically tale for every kind of surgery imaginable and are willing to share. However, these are the exception and not the norm. Also, not all surgeons are created equal! I know plenty and there are plenty that I would let treat my 90 year old grandmother and others that I wouldn’t let touch a dead cat.

Love those! Lands End has a similar shoe. Oh, and they hold orthotics too!

Marietta said:

I wear the LL Bean comfort mocs for everything. They hold up in snow, rain, walking, standing, just about anything. I actually don't wear athletic shoes ever, because these have a really nice cushy insole and rugged stable sole (I've never slipped in these).

Lindseylou said:

Here are the links to the LL Bean comfort mocs: $44.95

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/74833?feat=mocs-SR0&page=women-s-comfort-mocs-mary-jane

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58464?feat=mocs-SR0&page=women-s-comfort-mocs

I used to wear the Lands End ones only, but about 6 years ago they seemed to change the shape slightly, and the insole compressed eventually, and then they became uncomfortable. Just checked the Lands End moc again, and remembered that also the opening became tighter and smaller. So it was more painful to squish my foot into the shoe. So I switched to LL Bean, and found they hold up better long term. I have a pair that is 6 years old that is still supportive. They've become my "outdoor yucky stuff" shoes because they were a light color and got pretty gross over 6 years, but the inside still feels great.

I have a narrow heel and need space for my toes, and find these shoes are the only ones that don't seem to chafe me anywhere on my foot, so matter how sore.

Stoney said:

Love those! Lands End has a similar shoe. Oh, and they hold orthotics too!

Huh, good to know. My last LL Bean ones did hold up better, now that I think about it.

How do you know if your a medium or a wide in these shoes is there a way to determine by measurement?

If you're talking about the LL Bean shoes, they run slightly wider than normal shoes (except in the heel), I have feet on the cusp between regular and wide, and I've never had the slightest problem with the LL Bean shoes being too narrow.

I think they have a fit guide online on the shoe page where you can measure and figure it out.

Also, read the reviews, where people can rate the shoe on "runs large" "runs small" etc.

Lindseylou said:

How do you know if your a medium or a wide in these shoes is there a way to determine by measurement?

Yeah, Lands End tends to shift suppliers a lot, and make little changes frequently. LL Bean tends to keep things the same, so there are no surprises in terms of durability.

Stoney said:

Huh, good to know. My last LL Bean ones did hold up better, now that I think about it.

Thank you for your advices.I ordered a pair of Comfort Mocs,they look nice and I hope that my crooked toes got enough space in them.

Have any of you tried SAS shoes? I love them!!!! I have had a couple of surgeries in both feet. PsA makes my feet swell also. They feel like walking on clouds. I know they may be pricey, but they last forever. My podiatrist always compliments me on the choice of the shoes.