What I'd Give to Be Able to Wear Boots and Shoes!

Does anyone else have major trouble with swollen Achilles tendons? Holy hurt Batman! I live in my Sketchers insulated clogs because I can't wear regular shoes. Not great when you live in Northern Maine, and we, like tonight, have temperatures of 30 and 40 below 0...

I hear you! I wear Klogs and Dansko in Vermont.

Yikes, 30 - 40 below 0! Not good for klogs! I too have achilles tendon issues. I work on a military base and have to wear steel toed boots. I have a high top, supportive, comfortable pair of boots that I can't wear when the achilles tendon's start to hurt. For those days, I have a low top, unsupportive, uncomfortable pair of boots that don't rub on the achilles. As soon as I get home, I change into my Adidas sliders, lol

No I meant Klogs not clogs. It's a company of shoes made for people with PsA or RA in their feet. I have plantar fascitius and tendon issues too. Plus my feet go up a size with swelling. Dansko now makes a memory foam foot bed on a really supportive sole now also. I only wear Klogs and that style of Dansko now.

Hi pinkcamolady,

Sorry you are having shoe issues, but I can relate to your problem. I seem to live in Easy Spirit traveltime clogs–a little more arch support for me than Skechers. I live in West Virginia and it gets pretty cold here, too. It’s 12 degrees right now! The easy spirit clogs also come fur lined, which helps with warmth.

For colder snowy days I turn to Easy Spirit ankle boots. They change the name of them every year, but you can look at them at footsmart. This year’s are called Scarf. You can also google their sleigh ride and ski lift. Same thing.

This brand is the only one I can stand in for hours while I teach.

If you’re into the Ugg look, I found a comfortable pair of boots this year called Valery by Emu. Try Elder Beerman to view them if you like. I think I also saw them at zappos.

I’ve tried them all, I think, over the years and spent hundreds of dollars for a single pair of shoes tring to find one that didn’t hurt, both fashion and orthopedic. These seem to work for me. Hope you find some success.

Hello,

I've been buying all my shoes from Shoebuy.com for a long time. They offer free shipping and returns - could not be easier.

I checked and they carry lots of Klogs.They are advertising $20 off a purchase of $75 today. A great company to do business with.

Best of luck to those of you suffering.

Sharon

Silver Spring, Maryland

My husband has had those problems. I bought him “as seen on t.v” walk fits, the key is to start slow with them, 15 mins at first then add 10-15 mins each time, now he can’t wear a pair of shoes without them. The pain is gone. When it was at his worse I taped his feet following a demo online for planter fasciitis problems. Good luck

Foot issues is why I wear crocs in different styles, almost always.

However, my foot inflammation has all but gone away since being on this juicing regime, and my badly deformed psoriatic nails are slowly returning to normal also…am beginning to be able to wear regular shoes again!

I wear Birkenstocks most days, Uggs (a size too big!!!) during the coldest days. I've found that the Uggs in a larger size work wonderfully with my foot and ankle issues.

I second Michael’s recommendation for Klogs USA. Fabulous footwear! Put it this way: I take mine off when I go to bed. LOL

I live in Alberta canada and had to spend YEARS in summer/winter wearing Chaco sandals as it was the only thing that did not flare up my foot...so I hear ya. is there a way for you to tackle your inflammation issues any more than the Dr's already are? When my disease is not flaring- my achilles and plantar fascia are "okay"....

Most of it is trial and error- what flares up you foot and what doesn't... Maybe you could try the idea's below on brands to see if it allows relief/enduring on your feet... ? I feel for you, it's terrible!!! Hope you get some resolution soon!!

Good Morning!! I am so glad to read this discussion....I too have achilles issues, foot/ankle swelling and plantar faschiitis. I have been wearing just clogs for over a year and a half. I can't have a shoe with a back. Boots go on in the winter only when I have to!! I am going to look into all the suggestions.....Thank you!!

**Michael in Vermont....We live near to each other. Did you purchase your Klogs and Dansko online or in the Burlington area?

I hear you ! Women need a collection of shoes ! All but a few pairs of my shoes are in boxes. I have pain in my heel and bottom of my foot and can only wear "ugly" comfortable shoes.

I do have one pair of boots that I can wear that are super comfortable- I believe they are Clarks - I'll check tonight and let you know the info. I don't know if they will work for your achilles issue - I don't have a problem with my achilles.

Frances

I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I can't imagine those inhumane temperatures!! I'm in Texas and today is cold for us which means it's about 55. I have my little space heater on in my office right now because I'm freezing! It was in the 70s most of last week. Of course our summers (which are about 6 months long) are triple digits for weeks on end. I suppose everything in life is a trade off. Easy Spirit has a lot of nice comfort shoes and DSW shoe store carries quite a bit of them along with some other comfort shoe lines. I hope this helps!! Take care and I hope you feel better soon!! :-)

So far I haven't had a lot of foot issues (my achilles used to hurt quite a bit, but luckily not in a long time.) My main problem is my knees! So far the MTX/2400 mg Ibuprofen per day seems to be helping a lot. So far no tummy upsets either with the large dosage of Ibuprofen. I'm on prednisone too though, so I don't know which one is working well or if it's the combination of all of it. Does anyone have any suggestion as to which it is??? Thanks!

My guess is that it is the 2400mg of Ibuprofen Sherry....

Yes my patellar tendon flares up also- so I too understand!!!

Susan, I buy them locally at Danform (they have 3 stores in the area) or Lenny's in Williston and on the internet- on line shoes and Zappo's. Once I knew my size and what fits it was easy to buy them without trying them on. Where are you located?

Ilika, I forgot- my toes curl wickedly too! And if you try to straighten them look out! Major tendon spasm! I also have some bony deformities in my ankles too. Good luck on your hunt!

Thank you again for this info!! I think I will go and try on a backless style at Danform. I am fairly new to the area,my husband and I live in Grand Isle. Take Care

michael in vermont said:

Susan, I buy them locally at Danform (they have 3 stores in the area) or Lenny's in Williston and on the internet- on line shoes and Zappo's. Once I knew my size and what fits it was easy to buy them without trying them on. Where are you located?

Ilika, I forgot- my toes curl wickedly too! And if you try to straighten them look out! Major tendon spasm! I also have some bony deformities in my ankles too. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I will definitely be checking into lots of them! I've been on methotrexate for two years, and I know that's going to have to change when I go to the rheumy in March (it's a two hour ride to get there). My Achilles tendons swell up, and it's like having swollen balls of inflammation on the backs of them both. Anything against them, as in boots or shoes, kills! Fun, isn't it?????

Susan- I am north of there in Underhill. I am beginning to think I am north or everything......Welcome!