Shoe issue

Hi Guys! Do any of you wear an orthotic on your foot? I wear an Arizona Boot over my right foot/ankle/lower calf. It is fine, it helps with the pain, and if I don't wear it I start getting very sharp icky pains after being on my foot more than an hour or so. That being said, the only shoes I have found that fit are a "Brooks" brand double wide tennis shoe - they are wide enough to fit over the top of the orthotic and no one knows I'm wearing it unless I choose to show them.

Ok, my issue is, I have a very important, professional thing coming up in June and I'm going to have to be on my feet for most of two days. I have to find some sort of a professional shoe that I can wear with a business suit. Any suggestions? I have plenty of time to order online from where-ever, I just don't know where to start.

Thank u. :o)

~Angie~

Where do you live?

SAS makes a great shoe and comes in different widths. Also different colors black looks great with dark slacks. Or try looking into a diabetic shoe ie. Dr. Comfort. Arizona braces are hard to fit in any shoe really.

Shoes! Get me started ... I love shoes, and I consider it a cruel irony of my PsA that the epicenter of the disease is in the middle of my feet. Yes, I have heavy-duty orthotics, and my B-width feet now need a wide fitting. Every pair of my favorite shoes are gone, and I've had to re-invest in a few pairs of versatile footwear. It's not hard to find orthopedic shoes, but I cannot bring myself to put those monstrosities on my feet! My shoes need to look good, be comfortable and accommodate orthotics. Unfortunately, we're talking very expensive, so I do my homework and buy only shoes that are versatile.

I cannot be traipsing from store to store, on my painful feet, looking for the right shoe and hoping to score a 10W. Hen's teeth are easier to find! My go-to solution is Zappo's: they have incredible selection and stock, and amazing customer service. I read the reviews, which are really helpful, and then I order several pairs. (This is quite a feat, as Zappo's doesn't ship to Canada, where I live, so I have an elaborate system for getting my shipment.) The perfect pair I keep, and the rest get shipped back.

I have my favorite brands. Munro American makes beautiful shoes in a wide array of sizes, and most of them are orthotic-friendly. This is the shoe I have been wearing, inside and out, dress and casual, since early fall. OK, they were the most expensive shoes I've ever bought, but instead of having three or four pairs, I have only one. (I'm very good at rationalizing the expense, LOL!)

Early on, I got my podiatrist to instruct me on choosing appropriate footwear for my particular foot problems. She endorsed my buying a pair of FitFlops last summer. I bought these for a holiday, and had the shoe repair put an elastic gore in to accommodate my chubby feet. They went from casual to pool to formal comfortably. And only one pair to pack -- got to look at the bright side!

Aetrex is another brand which I've looked at, and which is well-reviewed, but I have not bought any. I am seriously considering getting a pair of these from Klogs USA, based on the reviews I'm reading. There are some pretty cool designs in this line!

Impulse shoe purchases are a thing of the past -- shoes are now expensive investments in my comfort. I hope you find what you need for your event in June. You're smart to start early, it may take a while to find exactly the right pair.

Good luck -- let us know what you get!

Seenie

Yey! Thank u guys! Seenie, I am leaning towards the shoes u posted from Klogs USA in shiny black. This was a big help!

I am not wearing ortho at this time, but my doc wears and recommends Merrel shoes. I asked for this pair for Christmas and I really love the comfort and think they look great. I now have four different styles of Merrel shoes.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-luxe-wrap-merlot

Wow! Those Merrels are really nice. Must go look at that line!

Oh, how I agree with your statement about the cruel irony of PsA. I am a shoe lover! I am obsessed! I have a lovely closet full of gorgeous shoes! I even wrote a poem about missing my shoes! I haven't given up yet. I haven't gotten rid of any. I just had to buy a few pairs of "cripple shoes." That probably sounds terrible, but that's what I call them. I have a few pairs of flats, but I now wear low wedges for work. The pair I like the wear the most for work are made by a company called Life Stride. They are pewter in color so they go with everything and they have a small wedge. I don't wear orthotics, but my once narrow foot swells quite a bit and looks like a cartoon balloon foot. These are the most comfortable shoes I own now. And, I actually have gotten compliments about my "cute" shoes.

Seenie said:

Shoes! Get me started ... I love shoes, and I consider it a cruel irony of my PsA that the epicenter of the disease is in the middle of my feet. Yes, I have heavy-duty orthotics, and my B-width feet now need a wide fitting. Every pair of my favorite shoes are gone, and I've had to re-invest in a few pairs of versatile footwear. It's not hard to find orthopedic shoes, but I cannot bring myself to put those monstrosities on my feet! My shoes need to look good, be comfortable and accommodate orthotics. Unfortunately, we're talking very expensive, so I do my homework and buy only shoes that are versatile.

I cannot be traipsing from store to store, on my painful feet, looking for the right shoe and hoping to score a 10W. Hen's teeth are easier to find! My go-to solution is Zappo's: they have incredible selection and stock, and amazing customer service. I read the reviews, which are really helpful, and then I order several pairs. (This is quite a feat, as Zappo's doesn't ship to Canada, where I live, so I have an elaborate system for getting my shipment.) The perfect pair I keep, and the rest get shipped back.

I have my favorite brands. Munro American makes beautiful shoes in a wide array of sizes, and most of them are orthotic-friendly. This is the shoe I have been wearing, inside and out, dress and casual, since early fall. OK, they were the most expensive shoes I've ever bought, but instead of having three or four pairs, I have only one. (I'm very good at rationalizing the expense, LOL!)

Early on, I got my podiatrist to instruct me on choosing appropriate footwear for my particular foot problems. She endorsed my buying a pair of FitFlops last summer. I bought these for a holiday, and had the shoe repair put an elastic gore in to accommodate my chubby feet. They went from casual to pool to formal comfortably. And only one pair to pack -- got to look at the bright side!

Aetrex is another brand which I've looked at, and which is well-reviewed, but I have not bought any. I am seriously considering getting a pair of these from Klogs USA, based on the reviews I'm reading. There are some pretty cool designs in this line!

Impulse shoe purchases are a thing of the past -- shoes are now expensive investments in my comfort. I hope you find what you need for your event in June. You're smart to start early, it may take a while to find exactly the right pair.

Seenie

OMG, I love the KLOGS!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing Seenie. I hate my ugly shoes. I will invest in some of that shoe goodness

Oh ya, I love those Klogs too, but sadly, Zappos doesn't have the patent ones in my size right now. I'm on the "let me know" list. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hey Seenie, I was looking at the shoes you were talking about as I can hardly wear anything without pain which pair of Munro do you wear?

Seenie said:

Seenie

Hey there, aching

My post had a link ("this" was in green: click on it) to my Munro Bardot boot :http://www.zappos.com/munro-american-bardot-brown-water-resistant-l... ... I still gulp when I see the price!

My arthritis is in the mid-foot, so the joints in the arch/instep area. I need something supportive, but the shoe can't be pushing down on the feet. Slip ons don't give me the support I need, while lace ups put pressure on my sore area. The Bardot boot's higher topline makes it possible to keep the boot in place on my feet without needing to lace it up too tight.

Where/what is your foot pain?

Seenie

aching said:

Hey Seenie, I was looking at the shoes you were talking about as I can hardly wear anything without pain which pair of Munro do you wear?

Seenie said:

Seenie

Thks so much, my whole left foot is always sore toes and ball of foot, stays swollen and cant hardly push it down into a shoe. I know price is awful but the pain is worse!

Seenie said:

Hey there, aching

My post had a link ("this" was in green: click on it) to my Munro Bardot boot :http://www.zappos.com/munro-american-bardot-brown-water-resistant-l... ... I still gulp when I see the price!

My arthritis is in the mid-foot, so the joints in the arch/instep area. I need something supportive, but the shoe can't be pushing down on the feet. Slip ons don't give me the support I need, while lace ups put pressure on my sore area. The Bardot boot's higher topline makes it possible to keep the boot in place on my feet without needing to lace it up too tight.

Where/what is your foot pain?

Seenie

aching said:

Seenie said:

Seenie

Look atthese.

So far, I have resisted. :-)

OMG Seenie those are PERFECT!! If you find anything else, please post, seriously you don't know how much I appreciate this!!

Seenie said:

Look atthese.

Angie, few things give me greater pleasure than spending other peoples' money. LOL! Seriously, I will keep an eye out for you. BTW, those shoes I just showed you come in the most gorgeous bordeaux red. Smashing.

Zappo's have a really good search and narrow function on their site. Worth test driving, IMHO.

Angie said:

OMG Seenie those are PERFECT!! If you find anything else, please post, seriously you don't know how much I appreciate this!!

Seenie said:

Look atthese.

OK, Angie, you got me going. Have a look:

http://www.zappos.com/munro-american-alison-black-kid

Angie said:

Seenie said:

Look atthese.