Footwear!

More over this past 2years than anything I’ve had to be really picky about what shoes I’ve had to wear… To date I’ve found some clarks footwear to be great as they’ve this wave walk technology thing built into them… I’ve crocs that I kick about the house in… &was more than surprised that when I went on holidays over summer I managed to wear flip flops with relatively mild pain (mostly…)

Has anyone else found particular footwear that is great to walk in? I constantly look about for that ‘comfortable’ shoe! :slight_smile:

I wear orthotics, which turn many more shoes into comfortable shoes. They just need to be able to fit comfortably into the shoe. My feet are definitely not my prettiest characteristic. I have bunions, flat feet, etc. Add damage and inflammation due to PsA and they are never particularly happy. Shoes are a must for me most of the time.

Right at the beginning of my PsA journey a podiatrist recommended FitFlop brand shoes/sandals/clogs/slippers/boots because of the thick cushioning sole. I've lived in them 24/7 for the past three years as anything else, even flatties with orthotics, are unbearable after a few steps.

Earlier this summer a friend gave me a pair of Birkenstocks, I thought they would kill me to begin with but I've persevered and find that although they are hard, hard, hard the moulding is very supportive when I have mid-foot pain. It feels good to be able to swap soles depending on how my feet are on any given day.

I am constantly wasting money on shoes. I mostly wear flip flops which is not good for me for several reasons. I do NOT like any type of closed shoes. They just feel heavy on my feet. I wont wear socks either. I have been on vacation myself. I bought a pair of slip on tennis shoes. They were so comfortable, for about 2 hours. My toes on my right foot begin to be in horrible pain, swollen, and non bendable. Gradually it went to the top of my foot. For 2 weeks now I have had swollen toes and foot only on the right side. Blah.. back to the flip flops I go.

My Rheumy suggested Klogs USA and I love them. I live in them. It is like a supportive shoe with memory foam. Really good for my sore, sore feet.

I agree with Michael on the Klogs- I have a great pair. For summer my favorites are Mephisto sandals. Don't let the price put you off, as they last absolutely forever. I got 10 years out of my first pair, and I work on my feet a lot of the day and walk a lot. I blow through shoes like crazy, and the Mephistos hold up. I'm embarrassed to admit how many pairs of Danskos I own. One of my criteria for shoes is that I don't have to bend down and use my hands to get them on, and Dansko fills that requirement. (When I found the red patent Mary Janes at half price- well, whatcha gonna do?)

For people who like comfy and light shoes, my partner (who has very sensitive and difficult to fit feet) swears by Skechers Go Walk 2 shoes. They are SUPER lightweight:

MomInPain said:

I am constantly wasting money on shoes. I mostly wear flip flops which is not good for me for several reasons. I do NOT like any type of closed shoes. They just feel heavy on my feet. I wont wear socks either. I have been on vacation myself. I bought a pair of slip on tennis shoes. They were so comfortable, for about 2 hours. My toes on my right foot begin to be in horrible pain, swollen, and non bendable. Gradually it went to the top of my foot. For 2 weeks now I have had swollen toes and foot only on the right side. Blah.. back to the flip flops I go.