Saw the dermatologist after a 5 or more month wait

The dermatologist confirmed I have Pustular Psoriasis. He said the eczema I had over the years was probably misdiagnosed and was also psoriasis. He said I’m on a heavy dose of MTX and if doesn’t clear up the next thing is to add some heavy steroid cream, not a light cortisone. He said stay out of the sun!! No alcohol but I probably already knew this being on the MTX. He said the kids have a fifty percent chance of getting psoriasis. Reality sucks…I must say I’m having a bit of a down time now but will put on my big girl pants and Deal…

Well that sucks. :frowning: I had my first noticeable outbreak when I flared after a Humira shot. My psoriasis has grown immune to topologicals; Well good luck, hope it’s not too bad.

It’s not too bad and I feel the MTX has really helped. For me the PSA pain has been my biggest issue. This only confirms my rheumy is great because she diagnosed me with PSA long before sings of psoriasis. Good to have this confirmed but also makes it all so real…

mataribot said:

Well that sucks. :frowning: I had my first noticeable outbreak when I flared after a Humira shot. My psoriasis has grown immune to topologicals; Well good luck, hope it’s not too bad.

I’m sorry about that. As you said though, you’ll put on your big girl pants and deal. Just something that will need to be dealt with.

Absolutely Stoney…what other choice is there?

Stoney said:

I’m sorry about that. As you said though, you’ll put on your big girl pants and deal. Just something that will need to be dealt with.

I've been using heavy steroid ointments on my P for almost 40 years (increasing in strength over the years). I've had no adverse side affects. Hang in there! It's tough to juggle a serious case of P along with PsA. Hopefully with new treatment the P will become a small side issue and you can concentrate on the PsA :))

Hi Marietta, My psoriasis is actually almost all cleared up so I don’t know why he even brought up the use if cream unless it could still get worse? I showed him pictures prior too but I believe the MTX is clearing it up. I only started getting psoriasis a few months back when my flares were increasing. Prior to I had had the odd patch of what my doctor believed to be eczema over the years but always cleared up with acerbic or 1%cortisone cream.

Marietta said:

I’ve been using heavy steroid ointments on my P for almost 40 years (increasing in strength over the years). I’ve had no adverse side affects. Hang in there! It’s tough to juggle a serious case of P along with PsA. Hopefully with new treatment the P will become a small side issue and you can concentrate on the PsA :))

PP is nothing to joke about. It’s can potentially do a lot of harm if not kept under control. Localized PP doesn’t respond well to most treatments. it not controlled you can develop endothermic psoriasis. MTX isn’t the best treatment for PP. Acitriten and Cyclosporin are typically used with PP. Acitriten won’t help with PsA and Cyclosporin can not be used for long term treatment because of kidney toxicity and hypertension. Since you are already using MTX, steriod cream or even pill would be the next in line treatment. Remember, PP can be extremely harmful, getting under control as soon as possible will prevent further possible issues.

Thanks Mataribot ;/) honestly I’m not joking…just another part of what I have to face along with the PSA. Thankfully at this time it seems to be clearing up, at least on my hands and now that I have this diagnosis we can monitor and hopefully keep it under control. I’ve been researching it and it can become a serious issue however so far I think I’m doing alright. But you’re absolutely right it’s no joke!

mataribot said:

PP is nothing to joke about. It’s can potentially do a lot of harm if not kept under control. Localized PP doesn’t respond well to most treatments. it not controlled you can develop endothermic psoriasis. MTX isn’t the best treatment for PP. Acitriten and Cyclosporin are typically used with PP. Acitriten won’t help with PsA and Cyclosporin can not be used for long term treatment because of kidney toxicity and hypertension. Since you are already using MTX, steriod cream or even pill would be the next in line treatment. Remember, PP can be extremely harmful, getting under control as soon as possible will prevent further possible issues.

Sorry to hear. At least the Mtx is working right ? At least you'll know the signs for your kids. I had no idea about PsA or even that anyone in my family had P.

The idea of passing it on along through my son that has bothered me a lot. I even spoke to him about it. Already warned my brother that his kids might end up with PsA and told them what to watch for but I don't think anyone is going to pay attention until a symptom pops up. I sure hope it doesn't.

There is only a one in 10 chance your child will get psoriasis if you have it. Its 50-50 if both patents have it. Eevn if he develops P his chance of getting PsA is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 10. Conceivably even in a "perfect storm" we are talking less than one in 30. Your kids have higher odds of worse disease......

Dini said:

Sorry to hear. At least the Mtx is working right ? At least you'll know the signs for your kids. I had no idea about PsA or even that anyone in my family had P.

The idea of passing it on along through my son that has bothered me a lot. I even spoke to him about it. Already warned my brother that his kids might end up with PsA and told them what to watch for but I don't think anyone is going to pay attention until a symptom pops up. I sure hope it doesn't.

Thanks Lamb…that’s some positive news! I’m having a really bad day…just when I thought I was getting better…poof!

tntlamb said:

There is only a one in 10 chance your child will get psoriasis if you have it. Its 50-50 if both patents have it. Eevn if he develops P his chance of getting PsA is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 10. Conceivably even in a “perfect storm” we are talking less than one in 30. Your kids have higher odds of worse disease…

Dini said:

Sorry to hear. At least the Mtx is working right ? At least you’ll know the signs for your kids. I had no idea about PsA or even that anyone in my family had P.

The idea of passing it on along through my son that has bothered me a lot. I even spoke to him about it. Already warned my brother that his kids might end up with PsA and told them what to watch for but I don’t think anyone is going to pay attention until a symptom pops up. I sure hope it doesn’t.

I am sorry some people can be callus, I understand what your going thru, as I have had psoriasis since I was 15, raised two kids myself and constantly have my grandkids for weeks on end. I am now 56 years old and still keeping the grands. It can be done, I also keep up with my housework and take MTX regularly. Was supposed to start the HUMIRA this week. Had to have a Tooth cut out today so had to stop the MTX temporarily, and cant start the Hurmira now til next week due to the possibility of infections. While the MTX has helped with the plaque I cant notice much difference in the pain. I just thank god for the pain pills they allow me.

I wonder why this dermatologist said a 50%chance the kids will get it? He was actually harsh. I see my doctor on Thursday and will talk to him more in regards but I must say he was tough.

TaraLynn said:

Thanks Lamb…that’s some positive news! I’m having a really bad day…just when I thought I was getting better…poof!

tntlamb said:

There is only a one in 10 chance your child will get psoriasis if you have it. Its 50-50 if both patents have it. Eevn if he develops P his chance of getting PsA is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 10. Conceivably even in a “perfect storm” we are talking less than one in 30. Your kids have higher odds of worse disease…

Dini said:

Sorry to hear. At least the Mtx is working right ? At least you’ll know the signs for your kids. I had no idea about PsA or even that anyone in my family had P.

The idea of passing it on along through my son that has bothered me a lot. I even spoke to him about it. Already warned my brother that his kids might end up with PsA and told them what to watch for but I don’t think anyone is going to pay attention until a symptom pops up. I sure hope it doesn’t.

My grands are 4,7,and 9 and I had them for about 2 months, and have the 7 and 9 year old again. It can be done just have to do what we have to do. I hate to say it but it can be done. :) I am around if you need to talk on a bad day or need to vent. :)

Hi Dini, I feel it’s important to inform our family members in regards to any hereditary disease as it gives them the info for down the road. We have a lengthy history of arthritis however I’m not aware of all the types. It totally bothers me to think our kids may one day get it however they are younger, more informed and hopefully there will be a cure or at the least really good treatment plans.

Dini said:

Thank you Candi! I look forward to having grand babies one day :slight_smile: our kids are 23 and 19 so it will be a while yet. My sisters and best friend all have grand children so for now I get to spoil them! I can imagine how tough it would be to have them for 2 months as I have watched my best friends grand daughter several times (4yrs old) and I get exhausted. A lot of fun though!

Candi Crivea said:

My grands are 4,7,and 9 and I had them for about 2 months, and have the 7 and 9 year old again. It can be done just have to do what we have to do. I hate to say it but it can be done. :slight_smile: I am around if you need to talk on a bad day or need to vent. :slight_smile:

Sending healing thoughts your way Candi <3

Candi Crivea said:

I am sorry some people can be callus, I understand what your going thru, as I have had psoriasis since I was 15, raised two kids myself and constantly have my grandkids for weeks on end. I am now 56 years old and still keeping the grands. It can be done, I also keep up with my housework and take MTX regularly. Was supposed to start the HUMIRA this week. Had to have a Tooth cut out today so had to stop the MTX temporarily, and cant start the Hurmira now til next week due to the possibility of infections. While the MTX has helped with the plaque I cant notice much difference in the pain. I just thank god for the pain pills they allow me.

Wow I hear this and you could be writing about me. I just had the exact same diagnosis and the eczema I have had since birth was most likely misdiagnosed psoriasis. I also have fibromyalgia to make my days suck a little more. I hope you feel better soon. Wytewing :slight_smile:

Thank you Wytewing! Are you taking Methotrexate? It’s cleared up my hands and my foot is almost cleared up however I’m having joint pain overall. This sucks big time!! Hope you’re having a good day :slight_smile:

Wytewing said:

Wow I hear this and you could be writing about me. I just had the exact same diagnosis and the eczema I have had since birth was most likely misdiagnosed psoriasis. I also have fibromyalgia to make my days suck a little more. I hope you feel better soon. Wytewing :slight_smile: