And now...dermatitis. Seriously?

Just got back from the dermatologist who says that the previously imagined psoriasis on my face, particularly around my mouth and (painfully) my eyes is, in fact, peri-oral dermatitis. The kicker? It’s most likely caused by the steroid creams I used after a P flare from switching biologics.

I still get a little P “blip” after every monthly Cosentyx shot, so, as one does, I slather on a little of the old trusty corticosteroid ointment prescribed for such eventualities. Apparently I should not do so. I was told today after being prescribed both mometasone and clobetasol ointments by a dermatologist some 15 years ago for P outbreaks ON MY FACE that they are both too strong for…wait for it…the face. That would have been helpful information to have had a little earlier!

I am now on antibiotics for 2 months and am instructed to use ONLY metronidazole on any outbreaks. Super!

My husband finally got a biopsy done, as the dermatitis on his scalp and rosacea on his forehead turned out to be. . . . . . psoriasis! Yes, he’s had psoriasis forever, but it’s just so frustrating when you’re told to treat a patch for one thing and it’s actually something different with a completely different treatment.

1 Like

That’s tough with dermatitis, rosacea AND P. He’s a triple threat!!
I was flummoxed that I had been prescribed two ointments for 15 years first my a derm then by my GPs (following the derm’s advice) and the ONLY place I had outbreaks was my face only to be told today in no uncertain terms that they are both too strong for “sensitive” skin (including the face and anywhere skin folds).

Ah, that’s the beauty of it. No dermatitis or rosacea. All psoriasis.

Oh I got it backwards!! D’oh!

1 Like

I had dermatitis on my hands for a few weeks last year in the middle of a flare up. I was told it was due to using the anti-bac hand cream I’d been told to use while on MTX so I didn’t get infections! Bloody painful it was, too!

Oh c’mon, enough’s enough. Isn’t this disease just a barrel full of monkeys …

I hope it clears up quickly, Jane

1 Like

Poor you @janeatiu. I really hope it clears up fast.

A barrel full of pet monkeys with dirty diapers!

they are super painful around the eyes. The dermatitis is on the eyelids, under the eyelids. around the mouth and, this morning, on my neck. They’re like a cross between a zit and a blister. I was sure I’d outgrown this shiznit.

A barrel of pet monkeys that have dirty diapers and BITE!

1 Like

This same thing happened to my son when he was 8----his steroid exposure was the asthma inhaler/aerochamber that touched his face morning and evening of every day though. No one had warned us either that this could happen or that we should probably rinse his face off afterwards.

Unfortunately, it took FOREVER to get rid of his Perioral dermatitis. Metronidazole was a Godsend after 2 antibiotics failed and we had to try a 3rd. I wish you the best in getting it cleared up quickly. My son’s was so severe kids teased him a lot. He begged to stay home from school every day. I wouldn’t wish PD on ANYONE!!! :frowning:

Aww your poor guy. Thanks for your support. It doesn’t look good and that’s a bit of a confidence blow. Kind of looks like herpes. Or that I have bits of cornflake stuck around my face.

Also, can’t start antibiotics until two weeks from now when I’m back from my sunny vacation in Mexico. The monodox causes massive sun sensitivity. Grrrrrrr. (But also yay for the :beach_umbrella:, :sunny:️ snorkeling and interesting :tropical_fish: :fish:)

4 Likes

Yeah, but fortunately you are gorgeous. Bl**dy skin stuff though. Hoping Mexico somehow works some magic on it all.

2 Likes