Need some imput

OK PSA family.....need some help. I have been on Humira for about a year....seems to have slowly stopped working or is headed that way. I am now w/o insurance.....have had a very painful spot on bottom of right foot for a couple of months now. Went to Rheumy.....he said that it's the PSA and wants to take me off the Humira and put me on Mtx.

Questions: Does Mtx work on Psoriasis as well as PsA and does it stop the progression?

Would love to find a new Rheumy in the future when I can get insurance again.....

Hmmmmm…off Humira and onto Mtx, or adding Mtx to the humira? Not a new biologic? Did he explain why he was thinking along those lines?

It’s difficult when you think your med is grinding to a halt: is it the medication, or is it just a variation in your condition, the weather etc. Whatever, it’s miserable and I’m sorry you’re struggling.

Well, I think it's a combo of me not having insurance and that's what he wanted to start me on. It was my Derm who put me on the Humira....

The Psoriasis is coming back on my face and other places....the PsA isn't too bad most of the time except for my foot....which just hurts all the time in one particular place.

Ugh. That’s a bad place to be. I guess if he’s suggesting mtx, it’s worth a try – some people have found it to be really helpful. And it’s not a particularly expensive drug. Here’s hoping it works for you.

Mtx was the first thing that helped me with my skin issues. I am still on it, but I am also on Humira, too. Hopefully Mtx will help you, too.

Thanks for the input Seenie and Tirezza! Do you know....will it slow down the PsA process like Humira? And what about side effects....heard it can be nauseating....??

My rheumy suggest taking it with humira but I had bad reaction once I got to full dose and even lowering it was unbearable for me. The migraines and vomiting were far worse than the relief. I did notice mtx worked for my psoriasis. It was better than had been in 3 yes and I could tell it was beginning to help the PSA but I couldn’t function on it . I will be starting enbrel in a week or so because mrx is not needed. Ready for it!!! I would definitely try mtx in your case and hope your body works with it because as I said I could tell it was working and not everyone has bad side effects.

Glad to hear you’re starting enbrel Rachael!

Mtx is first line drug I think for psa and is meant to slow down progression of the disease. Do try to get injections rather than tablets - they are not scary and seem to work better… I have had virtually no nausea although I take 5mg of folic acid every day. I am getting headaches with it but I don’t think that’s a usual side-effect and it has improved my pain so that I no longer need tylenol. It did take 11 weeks though to work for me so try to be patient

I am one of the lucky ones that can take mtx in pill form. I might get a headache every once in a while, but if I drink enough water, it will subside. My brother, however, has to take it using the auto-injector. He has the nausea and vomiting with the pill form. So, it will vary from person to person. I did start losing quite a bit of hair and had a bald spot, but my rheumy increased my folic acid intake. Now I don't have that annoying comb-over hairdo. :)
sunshine said:

Thanks for the input Seenie and Tirezza! Do you know....will it slow down the PsA process like Humira? And what about side effects....heard it can be nauseating....??

Thanks everyone! It is immeasurably comforting to be a part of this family!! :)

Pray you will all continue to do well!

We’re glad that you’re here too, Sunshine!

Changing your diet will help the biologics and MTX work better! Head towards lean meats and good amount of fresh vegetables. Stay away from processed foods. They tend to cause flair ups.

I don't know anything about Mtx but I'm commenting on the humira not working. I have been having a really bad time of things lately myself. I've been chalking it up to the awful weather. I figure I will wait til spring and if there's no improvement, I'll talk to my Rheumy.

Chalking it up to the awful weather sounds reasonable to me, Robyn. We’re having the lowest temperatures that we will have this winter – wind chill values of -40. And -40 is -40 whether you are in the F system or the C! Yes, it is cold, and my hands and feet are stiff. I’m lovely and warm inside, but somehow my body parts know what’s happening out there. What’s with that?
Seenie in The true north strong and freeeeee…zing

We have been doing this for several months.....my only vice left is Diet Coke and I think it is truly the culprit! I will be working on getting rid of that this week! :)

Tired of pain said:

Changing your diet will help the biologics and MTX work better! Head towards lean meats and good amount of fresh vegetables. Stay away from processed foods. They tend to cause flair ups.

I can't complain about the weather too much since it is SO much better than the mid-west and Eastern states.....my heart goes out to you all!