Hello everybody

Hey. My name is Janu. Im 23yrs
Just wanted to check in.
Hope everybodys doing ok.

I have been diagnosed with both Psoriasis as well as PsA 3 yrs ago.
Had oral mtx. Had a nightmare week where I puked everything, felt like hell. So stopped. Went off treatment.
But last week I couldnt open my mouth and was started on Mtx subcutaneous.
Have been going through hell for past two weeks. Extremely fatigued and nausea.

Welcome!

I’m so sorry you’re going trough this… did they try anything other then MTX?

Hey Cynthia.
Yes I had tried Sulphasalazine Tablets. Had to stop due to severe headache.
Going to consult my Rheumatologist in two days.

I’m sorry you get such bad side effects! Discuss with your reumathologist about any other options… because there are many… I think I’ve been on at least 5 different non biologicals, and there must be more…

It just sucks that you have to wait for weeks to see if they work… but you really should me on some medication, read around here, the damage the disease can do to you when you don’t take meds is scary!

1 Like

My biggest problem is I am a doctor myself. Just done with my studies. So I just know tooo much information about the damage and side effects etc.
I need to discuss with my rheum about other options too.
How are you holding up?

Hi Janus, and welcome! We’re glad that you found us, and we hope that you will be too. Yes, being a doctor yourself can be a mixed blessing: it’s good to be knowledgeable, but on the other hand, like you say, you can know too much about the dark side of treatment.

As soon as you get a diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis, though, you are “gifted” with risks. You cannot eliminate the risks, but you can do your best to manage them. And sometimes you have to assume other risks to protect against ones that are even worse. My drug therapy helps protect me from further joint damage, but it brings with it a risk of (just picking one…) a curable skin cancer. I’d rather lose a small piece of my hide than lose another joint, or become more disabled than I already am.

I agree with Cynthia about the snail’s pace of treatment results with this disease. Three months of suffering, only to decide that a treatment isn’t working is miserable. And then a switch of medication and … three more months of wait and see! Very frustrating.

As frustrating as it all is, there is good reason to be optimistic: many of our members lead reasonably normal lives and rarely drop in here. Those of us who spend time here are glad to have you join us. Hang in there, Janus, and hang out here!

I definitely get knowing too much… I’m not a doctor but I did do a biomedical study… it’s annoying… I know to much to not worry but not enough to know the simple explanations… I remember the zebras but not the horses :wink:

Thank you so much for all the kind words. :kissing_heart:
I have decided to go ahead with 2 more doses of Subcu Mtx.
I can open my mouth !!! Happy about that.
But had some bad joint aches today.
And becoming increasingly tired.
Dreading my next dose - upcoming thursday.
Will keep yall posted.
I am really happy I found this forum.
Cheers.

1 Like

We’re glad you found us too.

Ditto what Seenie said! :slight_smile:

Hey grandma_j.
:slight_smile:

Welcome aboard @janus. Hoping that your next dose comes with less issues!

Hey. Thanks a bunch.
It’s tomorrow. cross fingers

Cross fingers if they aren’t too sore. LOL

Good luck today

Heyy.
Took my dose.
As expected fell sick. :frowning:
I have worse problems now.
I have an abscess…in my left armpit.
Abscess means infection.
Its horrible. Hurts so bad. Cant move my arm.
And i have a stye on my left eye.
I think my counts are falling cus of the mtx.
I am feeling low.

That sucks! It is way to quick to be from falling counts though… MTX stops replication of cells it doesn’t kill the once you have… could still be something else the MTX did though…

I’m so sorry you feel so low though!

WBC lifespan is 15 days. Its almost 28 days since I started the first dose. It could fall.
Has anyone else had infections ?

I’m so sorry I’m totally in the wrong topic with my head… I even got confused about your name…Haha sorry!

Yeah then it can be… Did you talk to your doctor? Reum or other?

I’ve had abscesses… not sure if I had them before the MTX though since I started that over 10 years ago… (stopped 2 weeks ago) mine aren’t as bad as yours thought… they hardly ever hurt… and never that bad…

@janus I’ve had some minor ones, nowhere near as bad as yours. Some painful sores in my mouth, couple of minor abscesses. Would definitely second what @Cynthia is saying - reach out to your rheum if you haven’t already. No reason the meds should be worse than the symptoms, if it can be helped.