Remicade?

I had my follow up with my rheumy since having all of my tests and although I'm HLA B27 positive, my other blood work was normal. My spinal x-ray showed some significant damage to my cervical spine, which I could tell you without an x-ray.

She wants to start me on Remicade as soon as my insurance company approves it. She said it's $8,000 per visit which sounds crazy expensive to me and I'm in the health care industry.

I have a couple of questions for you seasoned pro's out there:

1. Does the $ that the Remistart program gives you get applied toward your deductible? My deductible is $2000.00 so if the debit card for the program is used for that deductible, does that count as my payment and therefore I've met my deductible?

2. Are there any side effects to the medication? She didn't mention any and my brother who has AS had reactions to Enbrel and Humira but never took Remicade. He had full body rashes and vomiting...

3. How long does the infusion take and can I go to work after it?

It sounds like the first month might be tough with 3 infusions within a short time of each other. I work a ton of hours so I'm a little worried about down time but then I will probably be working during the infusion.... have lap top will travel lol

4. How long will this take to work? My feet, hands and neck (and knees) are killing me and I'm starting to get really grouchy... waking up and going to bed in pain everyday isn't too good for morale these days.

Thanks and so glad you're all here!!!!

I was on Remicade for a year. I never had any reaction to it. Each person is different. Your insurance question is best addressed by your insurance. Everyone's insurance is different. If you are in the States the number to call is on the back of your insurance card. Everyone is different so how long it will take to work and if you can work after it is up to the indiviual. If you use Remicade as a search word at the top of this page it will bring up discussions about Remicade. You can also look at the Remicade site by Googling it. I had some energy right after my infusion and would go to the pool and do my exercises and stop at the store on the way home. But then for the next few days I would have no energy and some flu like symptoms- feel like I was coming down with something- Chills, loss of appetite, feeling as if I had a fever but not registering on a thermometer, etc. That would lift after a few days and I would feel better with less fatigue, stiffness and pain. Really each of us has to try a Bio to see how it will work for us. Good luck with it and I hope you get some relief from it.

I have been on remicaide for over a year. I count on the infusion lasting 3 hours-by the time they get the IV started, get the medicine and then they are supposed to monitor you for 30 minutes afterward. I never thought about whether or not the rebate program counts against my deductable (mine always met and met quickly) but it should because they give you a master card that they load. I get my infusions on days off because my doctor has me take benadryl and tylenol and the benadryl knocks me out.

1. I think it would count toward the deductible. Remistart gives you a preloaded credit card. You can only use it at your Rheumatologists office where the infusion is given. You us it to pay what insurance doesn’t cover. I believe it is what helped me meet my deductible so quickly this year. (And my max oop for the year) the payment just shows up as a payment from a credit card. I would check with Remistart or your insurance to be sure.

2. you are pretreated with Tylenol, Benadryl, and sometimes, a steroid so reactions are limited. I usually feel a little tired the day of my infusion, but it am not sure if it is because I already feel junky because I need an infusion or if it’s from the medication.

3. the infusions are long and very boring. Whatever you do, don’t count the drips. It will drive you crazy! Most of the infusion suites have wifi though, so you can work, or play while you wait. I always have them put my IV in my hand so that I don’t have to worry about moving my arms and kinking the catheter. It hurts more to have it placed there, but for me the freedom is worth the pain.

4. It depends. Usually, most people start to feel something by at lest week 4, others take longer, some are shorter. Sometimes, the dose needs to be increased or made more frequent. It all depends on the individual. I can tell you that it works though. I am off of it for an upcoming surgery, and I can’t wait to get back in the infusion chair.

Good luck!

Actually the Remistart card is not pre-loaded. After your treatment, you have to wait for a final detailed EOB/statement. You then submit this to the Remistart program. They will determine how much will be contributed to your final payment. My infusions run almost $13,000 every six weeks. By the time all is said and done by using the Remistart program I end up paying about $50 out of pocket.

My infusions take about 3 hours. I bought myself a tablet and a subscription to Amazon Prime so that I have something to watch while I'm in the chair. I have the infusion center take my labs right though the cath before I get the Remicade. One less poke with a needle.

Thanks for all the answers and personal experiences. I got the approval letter groom my insurance co and a call from RemiStart welcoming me to the program. The nurse is supposed to call me this week to schedule the 1st infusion. I’m on vacation all of next week at a beach house and I’m hoping to schedule it for the week I get back.

I’m really Hoping this works!!