Psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis and Crohn's disease

Sorry to disturb your peace, but have you heard about psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis relationship with Crohn's disease, an inflammatory bowel disease?

An article on Healio Gastroenterology shows an increased risk for female PsA patients to develop Crohn's disease. You may want to check out the article here.

My new Rheumy promotes a Vegan diet b/c he thinks its all about the colon. He started me on Sulfasalazine b/c it works on your stomach.

My GI doctor (whom I had to see after my dad died of colon cancer) diagnosed me with IBS. Today, my rheumy has diagnosed me with IBD. My intestines hurt most of the time. I do have problems with constipation and try to keep that under control but, I often wonder why I have a lot of pain in my intestines.

Unfortunately I am aware from personal experience :frowning:

Hopefully though it might help them to direct their research for better treatments :slight_smile:

I have IBD as well :frowning:

as it is an inflammatory disease, there is definitely a link to other inflammatory problems. my wife has RA and IBS.

Hey LindseyLou, have you found the Humira helps with your IBD? I’ve only been on it a few weeks, and declined the big steroid hit to prompt remission, so it’s a bit hard to tell.

I have seen quite a few articles about PsA that at least mention a link to IBS. It really clicked into place for me when I had all of the GI issues and within the same year was diagnosed with PsA. I did change my diet completely at the recommendation of the GI doc and it has helped so much. I was on Humira when I started having the GI issues and, unfortunately, it didn’t provide any relief. The diet change has pretty much fixed it for me, but I have to be good and stick to it or I will PAY for it later!