Does anyone have Crohns diease and PSA? Please help

I have both diseases and wanted to know what medication people who suffer from both these wrethched diseases take. I started on Humira 4 years ago, and was only diagnised with PSA one year ago. I now take MTX 20mg weekly, but because of the Crohns I am unable to take pain killers, does anyone have a reccomendation for pain killer that does not affect the gut? I am told these 2 diseases are totally related. Right now, I am in agony from PSA, it moves from feet to wrist, fingers, ankles, toes, elbows randomly, with major swelling. In fact any recomendations to help reduce pain would be profoundly appreciated. Many thanks to all.

There are ways of introducing NSAIDS that are far less harmful to the "gut" Oral painkiller for any number of reasons contain some form of an NSAID. Patches, gels, hot/cold paks, stretching, PT, TENS, adaptation, meditation/visualization (as a learned skill from pain management issues) are all MORE effective than pain killers.

Narcs are at BEST a temporary solution, and as research is showing may actually CONTRIBUTE to pain if used over an extended period.

However, that being said with Chrons STRICT DIET is absolutely critical. There are NO EXCEPTIONS EVER. The good news is that there is in Canada and soon in the US Stem cell treatment that reverses than damage within a few treatments. There are over two dozen drungs idn final trials as we speak. Nearly every development for Chrons has also been a dvelopment for PsA.

Huge thanks for your reply, I seem to have missed it before., what a pity.I know about the trials but here in the UK it is difficult to get on them, especially Stellara, although I might have a chance, do you have any experience with it? I am fascinated to know what diet you are referring to, if you have a moment, please let me know. Also, have you had any experience with stem cell therapy< it sounds too good to be true! Many thanks for so kindly relying and apologies for having missed it.

Hi lindag,

I do not suffer from Chron's but have been diagnosed with another kind of inflammatory bowel disease (microscopic IBD). I'm not sure that my input will be relevant for someone with Chron's, but here goes.

I do use hydrocodone, but only with food. If I don't eat when I take it, there are repercussions! I am taking Asacol and methotrexate. (I take other meds, too, but these are the ones that probably affect IBD.) GI doc tells me that Asacol is a sulfasalazine look alike, and that in higher doses, can also help the inflammation caused by PsA. I can't use sulfasalazine because of sulfa allergy. He just doubled my dose of Asacol, so I don't yet know what the higher dose might mean for me over time, but early results seem to be pretty good. I still have pain, but it doesn't seem to be as severe. Asacol did help my IBD. I still have symptoms, but not as frequently as I did before Asacol.

Interestingly, he also tells me that my IBD most likely is the result of taking nsaids for so many years. I almost cried when he said that. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that was a possibility?

I use a TNS unit for my back/SI area. I find this to be quite helpful for pain relief localized to that area. And, I'm a firm believer in physical therapy. Ice will help reduce inflammation, and heat is soothing. My physical therapist recommends alternating heat and cold for 20 minutes every two hours.

I'm sorry you are dealing with Chron's. IBD, like PsA, is a life disruptor. Hope you are having a better day today!

Hey Lamb,

Can you link to the STRICT DIET you mention?

I’m not diagnosed with Crohns, but have lots of possible pointers, and with only one inconclusive surgery far in the past, diet would be easier than searching for yet another treatment…

You didn’t mean coeliacs when you mentioned diet, by any chance?

Thanks for your very useful reply regarding other methods for pain relief, I will definitely give them a try. I am also interested to know about this STRICT DIET mentioned, can anyone help?? Huge thanks and take care. Lisalou

Lisalou, I''m not familiar with dietary restrictions for Crohn's. Sorry I can be of no help with that. The kind of inflammatory bowel that I have is treated in the same way Crohn's is treated, but my doctor told me there is not a specific diet. What he did say was to go easy with the high-fiber foods, fatty foods and caffeine. He said it probably wouldn't take very long to figure out what my triggers were, and to avoid those. Fatty foods absolutely are a trigger for me, and I've given up whole grains, which seems to be helping. Hope you are feeling better.

Chrons and PsA are definitely linked. In addition to the good advice already provided I would like to add a couple things I have discovered via watching medical research presentations online.
First, try taking a probiotic twice a day. This replaces bad flora in the gut with good flora which should calm things down. This is directly beneficial to crohns and ankylosis spondylitis.
Second, reduce carbs, starchy foods from your diet. The reason being that the immune system attacks a type of bacteria in the gut that is prevalent in people with chrons and PsA.
These things will help once you get the biologics and pain meds you need.
Good luck!

There are trigger foods when having a flare (sorta like rubbing salt in a wound)"

• alcohol (mixed drinks, beer, wine)
  • butter, mayonnaise, margarine, oils
  • carbonated beverages
  • coffee, tea, chocolate
  • corn husks
  • dairy products (if lactose intolerant)
  • fatty foods (fried foods)
  • foods high in fiber
  • gas-producing foods (lentils, beans, legumes, cabbage, broccoli, onions)
  • nuts and seeds (peanut butter, other nut butters)
  • raw fruits
  • raw vegetables
  • red meat and pork
  • spicy foods
  • whole grains and bran

They effect some people but not all. Don't confuse this with the diet nuts who believe a certain diet either causes or cures a disease. When my back is flaring I know better than to carry loads up and down the steps. Avoiding triggers simply helps.....

Hi TNT lamb,
I have a couple questions.
What do you eat when you have a flare? I tend to go simple eating whatever works over and over. That gets boring so I’m looking to see what you eat.
Secondly, where did the list come from? Some research or trial and error? I have eliminated most of these through trial and error but am curious if there are reasons why these foods should be avoided.
Thanks

tntlamb said:

There are trigger foods when having a flare (sorta like rubbing salt in a wound)"

• carbonated beverages
  • coffee, tea, chocolate
  • corn husks
  • foods high in fiber
  • raw fruits
  • raw vegetables
  • red meat and pork
  • spicy foods
  • whole grains and bran

They effect some people but not all. Don't confuse this with the diet nuts who believe a certain diet either causes or cures a disease. When my back is flaring I know better than to carry loads up and down the steps. Avoiding triggers simply helps.....

Many thanks for this list, it seems to make great sense and I am most grateful. How did you find out about it, I would like to read more, is there any literature you could advise? Thanks and take care. Best regards.

tntlamb said:

• carbonated beverages
  • coffee, tea, chocolate
  • corn husks
  • foods high in fiber
  • raw fruits
  • raw vegetables
  • red meat and pork
  • spicy foods
  • whole grains and bran

tntlamb, your list is interesting. Many of my trigger foods are on there. I've modified your list to which things bug me. I've never been able to drink any alcohol, but can be triggered by even a little wine in a pasta dish or the like.

• butter,
  • dairy products
  • foods high in fiber
  • red meat and pork
  • spicy foods
  • whole grains and bran