Update

Well, it has been an interesting week. I’ve been having some tummy issues for some time now, and though I’ve had a colonoscopy which looked normal, I’ve just had the biopsies and a CT scan come back showing inflammation in my small intestines.

The gastroenterologist was a bit mystified, and suggested I might have a type of PsA - Crohns overlap disease. I’m very luckily on Enbrel (works for joints but not intestines), so the Rheumy agreed to switch me across to Humira (works for both joints and intestines) to see if it will get things under control.

On the next day my dad died aged 65 - unexpectedly, probably heart attack or stroke. He’s had minor arthritis type pain and stomach problems all his life, which have never been diagnosed, and I’m guessing the uncontrolled inflammation all that time didn’t help his heart much.

My sisters thought I was joking when I said I wouldn’t put any extra into superannuation because I can’t get it until I’m 67! Lol

I am so very lucky to be able to access the Humira - I’ll post an update on it in a few months time in case there are others with similar issues (studies suggest somewhere between 2 and 6 percent of us might have this happen). Best wishes to all of you, and take care.

Jen,

I am so sorry for your loss & recent difficulties.

I hope the Humira brings you relief.

Oh Jen what a week you have had, I'm so sorry for your loss:

They have made some amazing steps with the chrons They are currently doing some stem cell tials in OZ that have proven in Canada to be a near cure NOT TO MENTION a huge effect on PsA maybe you can get in on it:

http://www.healthshare.com.au/questions/45862-what-are-the-new-or-innovative-treatments-for-severe-crohns-disease

http://www.crohnsandcolitis.com.au/content/Crohn_s_Disease_Research_Study.pdf

There are lots of studies going on in OZ, maybe if fail to get into the chrons study, you can get into this one:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/09/size-does-matter-study-shows-women-judge-male-attractiveness-by-penis-size/

So sorry to hear of your loss and the hard time you’ve been having…thinking of you

Jen,

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad, I will keep him and your family in my prayers. I hope the Humira works for your small intestine, am keeping my fingers crossed you will feel some relief soon

Take care and again my condolences

Judy

Sorry for your loss Jen, fingers crossed the Humira works for you. Good luck.

Sorry for your loss. What a lot to deal with all at once! I hope the Humira works wonders for you! Lots of love to you and your family.

Thanks very much everyone, I mostly worry about my mum - I had already considered that this was a possible outcome for Dad, and though that doesn’t make him being gone better, I suppose I knew there was a chance it would happen soon, where I think it has been a real shock for everyone else.

I just feel so fortunate I’ve got all the options available today, and thanks so much for the heads up on the studies lamb, I’ll keep track of those whether I get a chance to participate or not - I’ve got my fingers crossed my little girl got her dads immune genes - but I want to know what’s around if she suddenly gets sore joints or a tummy ache that doesn’t go away :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your thoughts.