PsA and Muscle Pain

Does anyone else have muscle pain with their PsA? My dr says I have Fibromyalgia as well but I am curious to know if any of you who have PsA but haven't been diagnosed with Fibro have muscle pain.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia many years earlier than the psa

I'm sure now I had both. Boy. I wish I had known. I would have saved myself a lot of pain

Karen

I get muscle pain and I do not have fibromyalgia. I use to weight lift 3-5 times a week and stopped in the spring when my PSA started to get worse. I was getting burning in my hands, I could no longer hold the weights. After working out my muscles would hurt into the next day. I tried lifting lighter, but it made no difference. Even now I get muscle pain with any increased activity. The other day my calf's were sore from vacuuming the house. I also have a lot of tendon issues, bursitis in both hips, rotator cuff and shoulder issues. I see my rheumy in January and will be talking about all of this with her.

I too get that burning pain sensation. And increased activities for me result in days of pain afterwards. It really discourages a person from doing much! When my hands and arms burn in pain like that I can't even stand to have a bracelet on, it's so uncomfortable! My dr tried some drugs that are supposed to treat the fibro but it didn't really seem to help. Perhaps because it's really the PsA that's the problem. Who knows? But what I'm begining to think is that drs really don't have as much understanding about this disease as they think they do!

Me! I always wonder ab this. I read that PsA hurts the soft tissue around the joint. My elbows for example hurt so much in the -errr muscle— around the joint. But even in other — cough cough muscles-- haha!! – I have pain. I’m laughing because by this point I have lost a good bit of my muscle tone and I just figure wow I am soooooooo out of shape every single thing I do makes me hurt!! The reason I am out of shape is I hurt so it’s the circle of PsA! I out my all my Christmas decorations this past weekend and I could barely walk for… Um til now. The tendons and muscles in my heels and calves are killing me and my back was so bad my dad had to bring me some pain meds. I could barely move from the sofa. I am going to see Johnny Mayer tomorrow and I am worried I won’t be able to stand up because of the pain and we have amazing seats ( my daughter won them). I love him and this will be my fourth concert to see him. PsA you are a fun sucker!

Raven, were do your arms burn? I always wonder whAt other people’s pain feels like. Not because I am some weird creeper but because I still have these lingering doubts in my mind… What if I don’t have PsA? Do others have these feelings? It’s such a hard thing to diagnose. Maybe that is one reason our friends and families have a hard time accepting it? I can hardly accept it myself! I often use the word burning, like to describe my back pain. It is definitely burning! I keep moving and shifting an finally have to bend over to relieve it. But the pain in my arms is more of a tender pain or aching, although if I held something in one position long enough it would burn.

I have plenty of muscle pain, and I do not have FM. One of the fringe benefits of PsA is that it inflames not only joints, but also the ligaments that attach muscle to bone. That hurts, and it will feel like muscle pain.

Burning pain? Oh yes. I get it in my feet, and also sometimes in my shoulders and upper arms when I wake up.

Tiger Girl, I’ve had my PsA diagnosis confirmed at a speciality clinic with world-class PsA experts and there are still times when I wonder if it’s all a terrible mistake. Does that mean we’re normal? (Hoping you’ll say yes! LOL)

Oh boy do I! The muscles in my back are so bad right now that I've passed burning and am straight into spasms. When I do too much or sit in a position that isn't optimal, I get the burning in my upper back right around the shoulder blades, but my lower back either throbs or flat out spasms most of the time. Got so bad the doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and some serious painkillers that I end up taking almost every day. Of course, he is also in the process of deciding whether or not I'm developing Psoriatic Spondylitis, so that may have something to do with it.

I've wondered, often, if I'm developing FM. There will be days when a gentle poke in the arm or getting walked on by the cat is so painful it brings me to tears. But other days those things don't bother me at all. My poor husband! We have both always been touchy-feely people, but all of a sudden he'll reach over to caress my cheek or to gently rub my upper arm in support and love and I'll freak out..."Don't touch me!" Then the next day I want him to touch me again. <shakes head> Talk about mixed signals! Luckily, I was blessed with the most understanding and compassionate man in the world, and he deals with this all so well.

Lately I've been getting a lot of "charlie horses" in the feet and legs for no apparent reason. I do know that if I take my MTX and forget to take my folic acid it gets much, much worse. I've had to pull over to the side of the road, get out of the car, and pace for awhile to get them to stop.

Anyway, good luck with all of this! I keep telling myself that things will get better as soon as it warms up (it's been below freezing for over a week now). Whatever we need to do to survive, right?!?

Charlie horses!?! You are in luck! This is my area of expertise :slight_smile: pickle juice!! Even better in a Virginia Bloody Mary- real thing if you sent on mtx or aa. And put a bar of soap bt your sheets near your feet! :slight_smile:

Seenie, if you still wonder then I guess I am normal. That makes me feel better.

That "pain" is as Tiger and Seenie mentioned very much a "normal" thing for Psa. Its hard to diagnose with "studies etc because it is inflamation but just a teenie tiny bit of inflammation in a teeny tiny part of your body. Specifically your entheses. Sadly the best thing to do (if it is the problem) is tomove and stretch it out.

Probably on of the most difficult things I have ever watched (as a parent) was watching my daughter play for the national collegiate tennis title It was an incredible match with split sets and 76 Deuces. The match went a very long time (3 hours). Jessie could not walk without assistance when she came off the court. If you ever wondered what happens after a world class athletic event, its not what you think. The athletes give themselves to the trainers as did Jessie She started out in a tub covered with ice to her neck, then the stretching started. As hard as the trainers worked to keep her moving especially her arms an shoulders she simply couldn't do it. They had her on IV'S Oxygen massage etc.etc She couldn't keep up and the enthesitis (tennis elbow) took over and she literally could NOT move enough to even feed herself. The pain was so extreme she wouldn't have eaten anyway. They finally had to shoot her up. By mid night she could move on her own but the stretching and moving never stopped to get to that point. By the next day you would have though nothing happened.

There is a point to the story. Being in shape isn't the issue. I promise you Jessie was in great shape. With PsA, simply doing or overdoing is never the muscle pain that goes away in a few days or with a couple of advil. Its much worse than that. Listening to your body is listening to a lie. I promise if you rest that body, don't keep up with the movement , stretching etc. The pain becomes incredible even with the slightest effort. This isn't a DIY project A few sessions with a good PT/trainer will be helpful

OMG! That is me to a T. Burning muscles like I ran a marathon and I can't really walk, back that is sore all the time. My Rheumy said the PsA, OA and DDD are all to blame. Now with the cold weather or humid damp weather it all hurts.

Here is an image of it

I actually ran a marathon and the pain I feel daily from increased activity is similar to how I felt after the marathon.

clipclop said:

OMG! That is me to a T. Burning muscles like I ran a marathon and I can't really walk, back that is sore all the time. My Rheumy said the PsA, OA and DDD are all to blame. Now with the cold weather or humid damp weather it all hurts.

I have been avoiding activity due to the increase pain and have stressed it may bring on a flare. Pain is generally a sign to rest (overuse), however I'm not sure that theory works for this disease. R.I.C.E....rest, ice, compression and elevation.

I've had tennis elbow and it's brutal! I also have had rotator cuff tendonitis to the point that with out therapy I would have needed surgery as I lost the ability to move my arm completely.

Thanks Lamb, this feed has been enlightening.

tntlamb said:

That "pain" is as Tiger and Seenie mentioned very much a "normal" thing for Psa. Its hard to diagnose with "studies etc because it is inflamation but just a teenie tiny bit of inflammation in a teeny tiny part of your body. Specifically your entheses. Sadly the best thing to do (if it is the problem) is tomove and stretch it out.

Probably on of the most difficult things I have ever watched (as a parent) was watching my daughter play for the national collegiate tennis title It was an incredible match with split sets and 76 Deuces. The match went a very long time (3 hours). Jessie could not walk without assistance when she came off the court. If you ever wondered what happens after a world class athletic event, its not what you think. The athletes give themselves to the trainers as did Jessie She started out in a tub covered with ice to her neck, then the stretching started. As hard as the trainers worked to keep her moving especially her arms an shoulders she simply couldn't do it. They had her on IV'S Oxygen massage etc.etc She couldn't keep up and the enthesitis (tennis elbow) took over and she literally could NOT move enough to even feed herself. The pain was so extreme she wouldn't have eaten anyway. They finally had to shoot her up. By mid night she could move on her own but the stretching and moving never stopped to get to that point. By the next day you would have though nothing happened.

There is a point to the story. Being in shape isn't the issue. I promise you Jessie was in great shape. With PsA, simply doing or overdoing is never the muscle pain that goes away in a few days or with a couple of advil. Its much worse than that. Listening to your body is listening to a lie. I promise if you rest that body, don't keep up with the movement , stretching etc. The pain becomes incredible even with the slightest effort. This isn't a DIY project A few sessions with a good PT/trainer will be helpful

TaraLynn - Usually pain is a signal to rest, but not with this disease. I, for one, would be an atrophied blob if I stopped moving every time I have pain. :-) I am not the best at doing structured exercise, but I always remember to stretch and I like working on my house and the yard. It helps so much and I really feel the benefits so it's easy to stick with even when I have to make myself fight the pain. I want to start formal exercise, but its hard because a) I don't really want to and b) It's difficult to find the "right time". If you already have these good exercise habits, please fight hard to keep them.

I experience the burning pain in my left wrist usually. Sometimes the right gets involved. I am left handed so I'm sure that contributes somehow. My back can feel that burning too when I have been on my feet too long or did some lifting. I no longer lift more than 15lbs if I don't have to.

TigerGirl said:

Raven, were do your arms burn? I always wonder whAt other people's pain feels like. Not because I am some weird creeper but because I still have these lingering doubts in my mind... What if I don't have PsA? Do others have these feelings? It's such a hard thing to diagnose. Maybe that is one reason our friends and families have a hard time accepting it? I can hardly accept it myself! I often use the word burning, like to describe my back pain. It is definitely burning! I keep moving and shifting an finally have to bend over to relieve it. But the pain in my arms is more of a tender pain or aching, although if I held something in one position long enough it would burn.

I'm not surprised to hear that at all. But has her past experience with that tennis match slowed her down at all? Will she ever play a match like that again? I don't like to sit around either as I know doing that can't be any good for those of us with this disease. But how much exercise is the right answer? That is probably so individual to the point of being minute. I will ask my dr when I see him next mo if I can get signed uo for some warm water exercises. I did it for a short time, but the dr that was sending me to that class was so expensive to see. I need to do something though as I don't want to atrophy either!

TaraLynn said:

I have been avoiding activity due to the increase pain and have stressed it may bring on a flare. Pain is generally a sign to rest (overuse), however I'm not sure that theory works for this disease. R.I.C.E....rest, ice, compression and elevation.

I've had tennis elbow and it's brutal! I also have had rotator cuff tendonitis to the point that with out therapy I would have needed surgery as I lost the ability to move my arm completely.

Thanks Lamb, this feed has been enlightening.

tntlamb said:

Thanks Grumpy :-) I agree I have to push myself more. However, I wonder what is enough and too much? I find if I over do it then I have a big flare (increased inflammation to the point of no use). I tried going back to work in June and ended up having to leave work due to a flare in my foot (dactylitis in my toes). The flares use to randomly happen with no daily pain.

Now I have daily pain, I can actually feel what joints have more inflammation....currently my shoulders have been bad for the past week, the months prior to was hips(bursitis). I try to limit the use of the areas of my body that have increased inflammation and work the areas that seem alright.

Of course anything causes pain now, but it's a manageable burning pain that tends to go away with rest. For instance, walking or being on my feet causes my feet to burn in pain, heel especially. Same with my hands, vacuuming or cooking causes burning pain in my fingers and they sometimes cramp up.

I'm slowly learning how to manage, however my goal is to get the inflammation down completely :-) I've learned a lot the past several months, with the progression of inflammation and pain levels.

GrumpyCat said:

TaraLynn - Usually pain is a signal to rest, but not with this disease. I, for one, would be an atrophied blob if I stopped moving every time I have pain. :-) I am not the best at doing structured exercise, but I always remember to stretch and I like working on my house and the yard. It helps so much and I really feel the benefits so it's easy to stick with even when I have to make myself fight the pain. I want to start formal exercise, but its hard because a) I don't really want to and b) It's difficult to find the "right time". If you already have these good exercise habits, please fight hard to keep them.

All of that sounds so familiar! My husband is afraid to touch me because of the pain I experience when I'm touched. My cat walking on me hurts intensely as well.

tmbrwolf329 said:

Oh boy do I! The muscles in my back are so bad right now that I've passed burning and am straight into spasms. When I do too much or sit in a position that isn't optimal, I get the burning in my upper back right around the shoulder blades, but my lower back either throbs or flat out spasms most of the time. Got so bad the doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and some serious painkillers that I end up taking almost every day. Of course, he is also in the process of deciding whether or not I'm developing Psoriatic Spondylitis, so that may have something to do with it.

I've wondered, often, if I'm developing FM. There will be days when a gentle poke in the arm or getting walked on by the cat is so painful it brings me to tears. But other days those things don't bother me at all. My poor husband! We have both always been touchy-feely people, but all of a sudden he'll reach over to caress my cheek or to gently rub my upper arm in support and love and I'll freak out..."Don't touch me!" Then the next day I want him to touch me again. <shakes head> Talk about mixed signals! Luckily, I was blessed with the most understanding and compassionate man in the world, and he deals with this all so well.

Lately I've been getting a lot of "charlie horses" in the feet and legs for no apparent reason. I do know that if I take my MTX and forget to take my folic acid it gets much, much worse. I've had to pull over to the side of the road, get out of the car, and pace for awhile to get them to stop.

Anyway, good luck with all of this! I keep telling myself that things will get better as soon as it warms up (it's been below freezing for over a week now). Whatever we need to do to survive, right?!?

and I am becoming that blob rapidly Grumpy!! I can smile about it right now (wearing stretchy pants)...but when I try to get dressed I'm usually pretty bummed out....I need to get my weight in check...not only for my mental health and bank account, but also for my joints :-)

GrumpyCat said: