What a pain in the

Legs. What did you think I was going to say? :stuck_out_tongue:

Leg pain is my weakness, itā€™s the only sort of pain that really gets me down,and makes me think Iā€™m not doing well. Mine comes as a deep ache in my bones and lower back, and it decided to visit me this morning. I guess the best description is that it feels like the body aches one would get with the flu, only more painful. I have very few things in my arsenal that control this pain, and so usually I just try to push through it, but today I was wondering if anyone else has this and what they do for it.

I am open to suggestions, but I already have a good pain regime, steroids and a good NSAID, and have tried all of these this morning. Also, we checked for other causes, like cancer and that ainā€™t it. Has anyone been told that this isnā€™t PsA related? I would be very interested in hearing about that. I am thinking that itā€™s actually my tendons, connective tissue or maybe even bone marrow edema, which can all be PsA related, but Iā€™m not sure since I havenā€™t heard any folks describe the same symptom.

Thanks for responding. Hope you had an excellent holiday!

hello I gt the same thing but mine is the fibromyalgia what helps me when that happens is I fill the tub with hot water and sit in it the minute I sit down the pain seems to stop then when I get out I wait 5 minutes or so and put on new friend ben ben gay that is and take my pain pill and rap myself up in my heating blanket hope this helped have a good day and god bless

I feel like a broken record, but putting a Thermacare patch (the neck and shoulder type) on my very low back (SI joint area) tends to help with pain and aches that are in my legs. The long term heat (I find the patches last 12 hours) tends to help block some of the pain, and force some relaxation as well. If I put one on before bed, I get some relief all of the next day.

I had years and years of leg aches, the kind that ache from the waist down, right into the arches of the feet. Kind of like my bones were filled with lead: heavy and aching. Nobody ever told me it was PsA, and I assumed it was the usual ā€“ too much time on my feet, should exercise more, eat better blah blah blah. Iā€™d lie on the sofa with my feet on the armrests to get them elevated. That helped some, but it was always there. PsA? Dunno. But itā€™s nasty. Sorry I canā€™t be more helpful!

Are you sure its not a hip rotation? Try these stretches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zQhxoTSWw

I have it at times too Grumpy. Heat is my friend. I sit in a hot tub with Epsom salt, use muscle rub and a heated throw. I do find it most likely to happen after I over do. Yesterday being Christmas I am surprised I do not have it today. I am sorry you do. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Marietta I feel like I am a broken record at times too but know when I am in pain my brain does not work well and need reminders on what to try. Never be afraid to repeat; I am sure others like me skip it if I have tried but really welcome the gentle reminders of what might work when we haven't thought to try it yet.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to repeat it. When I'm in pain I can forget the most basic of solutions sometimes! :)

michael in vermont said:

Marietta I feel like I am a broken record at times too but know when I am in pain my brain does not work well and need reminders on what to try. Never be afraid to repeat; I am sure others like me skip it if I have tried but really welcome the gentle reminders of what might work when we haven't thought to try it yet.

Legs well I canā€™t move them. I get trapped for hours some days

I have used heat and the warm tub before. It feels good but the relief doesnā€™t last very long, maybe an hour after the bath? I havenā€™t tried thermacare patches because Iā€™m not sure where the pain originates from. It feels like itā€™s coming from deep in my femurs this time, and then after resting for a few days my back hurts too. Sometimes itā€™s like itā€™s coming from my hip joints or low back and thermacare definitely works for that, but I donā€™t know where to stick the things this time! I wasnā€™t really clear in the op, I have a touch of brain fog. :frowning:

I definitely get something similar from overdoing it, but the aches I have now come pretty randomly. Actually, now that I think about it, I am probably getting the ā€œdue for an infusionā€ aches. I have about a week and a half left. Now, Iā€™m rambling!

I think I will continue with the heat and try Lambs stretches. Hubs and I are leaving for our cabin in the mountains this afternoon for 6 whole nights. Hot tub therapy, and 6 nights sans kids will, hopefully, put me right!

I get a lot of pain in my hips (sacroiliac joints). I have found that the pain level's and areas depend on how much inflammation I have in the area. I've had the pain shooting down my legs, but most of the time it's my hips and lower back. I feel the same, it's a pain not easy to manage and I find again this depends on the amount of inflammation in the area. I started getting bouts of bursitis in my hips in my early 30's, then told I had piriformis syndrome and now it's an area that I pretty much have pain daily.

Heat (hot tub, baths with Epsom salts if I can get in), light stretching and nsaids(celebrex) work the best for me. If there is a lot of inflammation then it can take a few days to get the pain levels down and functioning again.

I spoke to my reumy about this and she recommended the same thing that everyone here has mentioned. Warm water . heating pads/blankets and of course the good old topicals everyone has mentioned. I have the same leg and thigh pain that radiates from my hips and low back. It eases, but never disappears and worsens as the day goes on. By five pm I am non-ambulatory and in tears or vomiting and dizzy from the pain most evenings. I have to put myself to bed like a two year old. I have had leg pain for twenty five years and restless leg syndrome for about thirty. It started in my knees when I was twelve.

She is sending me to heated aquatic therapy :) three times a week because my right leg is twisting now as well as my great toes. Can't stop it and no amount of medication short of induced coma kills the pain. Even a double dose of migraine meds does not touch the PsA pain. Nothing works for me as well as the above mentioned. Some times I have to get in the tub , get out, wrap up in the heating blanket, wait for the hot water to catch up ( big tub ) and start all over again.

On those nights I think about the ER but I know there is nothing they can do and it is frustrating for the staff because they really do want to help ease real pain. This helps me focus on someone else's feelings and takes my mind off of me. Not much I know, but that is my way of coping on those awful days....

Hi Grumpy, the bone marrow oedema in my upper back feels like a deep throbbing ache which can really get me downā€¦its the only pain that I use meds for when I canā€™t sleep with it. I wrap myself in a heat pad curl onto my side with the tv on and hope I drop off.
Hope you get some relief from the pain x

Thanks everyone. I thought that I was doing all of the right things, and it seems like from your responses that I am. Just wish there was more I could do!

Maybe, Sybil. I was a heavy smoker when I posted this. I gave up smoking but not the nicotine. I still have the same ache, but it is less as I recently had my Remicade. I am hoping to taper off of nicotine, but I just gave up cigarette this month. This is the best I have done in a really long time, and Iā€™m afraid to give up nicotine yet.

Sybil this is food for thought. I need to mull it over but if the pain is due to PVD (peripheral vascular disease) then it makes sense to me that a nicotine patch, which vaso constricts as does smoking, would cause that pain. But I need to ponder it more to understand it.

Grumpy I am so proud of you! You go girl! I am a smoker too but have not been able to give it up yet. Sometimes they feel like my last friend in the world!

I started ā€œvapingā€ I tried all of the little ecigs, but none of them really felt like smoking. So, I went and got a big, honking thing and have been able to give it up. I still cheat every now and then, but this is the best Iā€™ve done in a long time, and I love to smoke. It hasnā€™t been nearly as difficult as other attempts. Iā€™ve gotten a number of friends set up with it and most have been able to quit or nearly quit. There is hope!

michael in vermont said:

Sybil this is food for thought. I need to mull it over but if the pain is due to PVD (peripheral vascular disease) then it makes sense to me that a nicotine patch, which vaso constricts as does smoking, would cause that pain. But I need to ponder it more to understand it.

Grumpy I am so proud of you! You go girl! I am a smoker too but have not been able to give it up yet. Sometimes they feel like my last friend in the world!

I have this pain, too. It keeps me up all night and makes my days unproductive. Hip pain through the groin aching through the knee all the way through my ankle and to the arch. Agony - sometimes burns - sometimes aches - sometime throbs. I did find the mother of all heatin pads on Amazon and it is my best friend!!! It is so big and very flexible. I LOVE it! Patches help. I also have a new weird thing happening that troubles me. When I lie on my side the too on my foot goes numb very quickly. Not asleep. Just a weird feeling like I canā€™t feel when you rub the skin. Have any of you been told you have Spondylitis? My pain originates in my lower back.and radiates down.

That should say the top of my foot goes numb

hi,

when I wake up the pain in my knees is incredible, I take my tramadol and prednisone .Oonce I move around for 30 minutes is starts to go away.

After the work day the pain comes back, go to sleep and the cycle starts again haha

I guess we have to live with it?

I have the exact same thing, Grumpy, It is just awful.