Problem holding stuff - no inflammation in hands!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has this "clumsiness" thing. I do not have any inflammation in my hands, elbows, shoulders... My only problem is my lower back, SI and feet. Oh, and I have fibromyalgia too, maybe that's the culprit. But this clumsiness thing I had for ages is getting worse and worse! I literally cannot hold anything in my hands lately. I drop everything, cannot catch anything, pour water on the floor instead of in the glass... Should I blame the disease or my stupidity?

Hi LL, no, don't blame stupidity-you're far from stupid!!!!

I sure hope PsA isn't attacking your upper body as well! I've had tons of problems with my hands, and the weakness in them was terrible. I couldn't open jar lids or hold my camera long enough snap a picture. The achiness and weakness was from my shoulders down--there was a lot of tendonitis in my shoulders, wrists and hands. I hope this is just a flare for you and doesn't become a constant problem!

I hope so too J,

There's a weird weakness in them. Or rather, it's like my brain is sending my hands commands but it either reaches my hands too late, or not at all. They just lie there like a couple of fish :D

If it’s in your feet then it certainly could be in your hands. But it could be part of the fibromyalgia as well. Either way, you can make some changes, starting with being mindful. The more aware you are the better your hands will serve you.

Thanks Stoney, the more I think about it the more it makes sense about it being because of fibromyalgia. Or maybe it's this "fog" thing we all seem to be experiencing. Anyway, I did yoga just now hoping for some mindfulness and gaining some balance :) Hope this will wear off too because it has been just too much lately... Dropping something every five minutes is not normal I think, no matter how clumsy I've been my whole life! And I'm quite afraid of inflammation getting in my hands because lately I've also been experiencing some kind of a lock up in my wrists... not a real lock up, but a kind of slowness and stiffness.. But it might be because I spend hours on the keyboard writing my thesis as well...

Carpal tunnel? That would also explain the dropping. If you are in a poor position from typing, it could contribute. If you are not already well set up ergonomically, now would be the time to do it. Proper height, proper hand position, take breaks, etc.

I, myself... thought it was carpal tunnel and went thru the painful tests... turned out it wasn't.... but again ... I did rule it out... that may be what you may have to do... ask your GP for advice.... I have fibro too.. the clumsiness started slowly.. making me think it was my dumbness, dear... no way is it... i drop things all the time.... I try to really slow down... so I am mindful and careful..

You ought to see me walk.. if you didnt know me .. you would think I was a drunken fool..Ive had joint replacement, thought that might help.. didnt't.. due for another one since 2013.. holding off as long as possible.... dont think that will help my stumbling.. but will help with the pain.... maybe we can get together and make up a comedy routine.. lol....

Good luck to ya!!

Karen

Hımm I didn't think about carpal tunnel... Maybe it is, since I'm writing my thesis. It's really possible. Yes Stoney I'm really careful about how I sit - my legs ninety degrees and everything. Because my back gives me hell if I'm not careful. I might mention this to my rheumy and/or my PT next month when I see them both.

Karen omg we can definitely do a routine :D I have numerous incidents where I tripped over my own two feet :D And I managed to fall in half of them, where I did quite impressive flying-like moves in the other half :D This fibro is a tricky thing though... I mean, everything I complain about may be because of fibro, and then again they may not! How do I tell the difference, I have no idea! And having an actual inflammatory autoimmune disease makes it all the more complicated as you yourself probably now. I mean, this pain or that pain might be because of fibro and even though it hurts like hell I know it's not causing damage, the only upside of the darn thing. But what if it's not fibro and I don't look for answers and find myself seriously immobilized in the near future? It's just scary...

Carpel tunnel maybe worth looking into LL. I know my job explains of not even guarantees it but with all your computer work on your thesis and what not it is possible and early diagnosis is key just like everything else. One of the tell tale signs is hands falling asleep especially when sleeping. Mine fall asleep every night waking me shaking them. O also get on and off radiant pain o. My forearms especially in the tennis elbow tendon. Since Enbrel my hands no longer swell but my wrist still get stiff and scratchy ( Like something is stuck and rubbing inside). I drop things right and left when I hold important parts for install at work I get so nervous I have to focus all my energy to be careful not let it go. Tools are tough but we do have expensive sensors and tiny motors that I could get fired if I broke them. I would bring this up or make an appointment if can, wrist braces can help too. After all you already have enough trouble with your feet before and hands are just as important!

Hımm, I haven't experienced the falling asleep hands thing but lately I do get some tingling in my fingers every now and then... And you are right Rachael one of the very few things I've been thankful for is not having it in my hands... By the way it amazes me that you are handling machinery and stuff... I'm so lost when it comes to that kind of thing... I know it's not the same as what you do but until recently I seriously believed Internet was something that flew in the air, which made my little brother make fun of me so ruthlessly, that's how bad I am when it comes to electricity, machinery, computers etc :D

I just worried because of the amount of time you spend on your thesis etc. Trust me I know most people don’t “get” what I do you are not alone in that at all! The other thing is if you are taking break from repetitive work like typing it can cause aches too. Whenever I go on vacation my forearms and fingers hurt from less use.
You’re so cute with your idea of the internet! Once I had a guy at work explain it and other than a bunch of numbers make sense to a computer I was so lost but he went on for 20 mins and I just kept nodding like I had any idea what he was talking about!! If there is no numbness at night I would hardly worry about carpel tunnel at this time.

I drop things all the time, or don’t get my handa open all the way to grab it. My Rheumotologist said I have tendon problems in hands. Been evaluated for CT and it’s negative

Thank you Mataribot and Rachael... I guess I should mention it to my rheumy anyway! But it's a relief about the carpal tunnel Rachael that I shouldn't worry about it if my hands aren't falling asleep... And the funny thing is, even though what we do is soooo different, carpal tunnel is an occupational disease in my case too :) I know many people get it while writing their thesis, that's why I'm trying to be more careful. Especially since I have a disease that makes me more susceptible to it! And I have many funny theories about many things :D I've been made fun of so many times :D It's like I live in a children's book sometimes and the world is kinda like Alice's tea party :D (I don't think Alice is in this much pain though... She might have some serious psychological problems but I'm sure joint pain isn't one of her problems :D)

At first when my wrists and hands started hurting I thought it was carpal tunnel. I used the wrist/hand supports or stabilizers off and on. I just hope you don't have PsA in your hands because it is not fun. It's exactly why I had stopped drawing a portrait I had been working on a couple years ago because I couldn't stand the pain of gripping a pencil for long periods of time. I hope your doctors give you the proper treatment for this. I had huge improvement from Enbrel, although there is starting to be a little stiffness and numbness again.

Haha, funny about the internet! I never knew there were cables on the ocean floor from Europe all the way to America and everywhere else in the world! I watched a show about that a couple weeks ago and before that I just thought all the information was in radio waves and/or bounced off satellites! I mean I had heard of the power grid, but I thought it was just for electricity. So, you're not the only one who doesn't know these things (and I'm a lot older than you, so I should have learned that somewhere along the way).

I also have both and tend to be very clumsy. Some days I'm pretty sure it's a general weakness, other days because I shake and sometimes just the fog. You probably should mention it next time you see your doctor though - especially about the weakness just to be sure. I just got a very kind lecture from my doctor about assuming it's PsA/FM related. He atually said not to be afraid of crying wolf because 1 might actually be at the door

Oh the clumsies! I know that one lol. The only time I used to be clumsy was during menstruation, but I have really bad days of it now. Often I drop things because of hand weakness, often because, well I just drop things. I knock myself on corners, tables, door knobs and fall over my own feet! I don’t worry about it now, it frustrates the hell out of me at times, but I just accept it as just another aspect of coping with PsA and fibro. Mindfulness can help, it ensures you slow down and think about you movements, but I find it very mentally tiring to be mindful for long periods.
I did bring it up with the GP but was told it was probably related to the aforementioned conditions, but will let my Rheumatologist know next visit just to be on the safe side

Wow, so glad I checked in! Was at PCP yesterday trying to explain this very thing! I’m a lunch lady and having many incidents of burns & spilling or dropping important items at work. We were trying listing possible culprits to blame, PsA, neck/discs, nerves in arms. Etc. so interesting to hear that this complaint is shared by so many. Please message me personally with any ideas and advice! Thank you to this wonderful community!

I had carpal tunnel in my right hand. After the surgery I felt numbness inn three fingers. Doctor told me the numbness would go away. After four years I still have numbness. I cannot pick up anything with my right hand. Just remember, with this disease poop will happen!

Hello everyone,

First of all I'm really sorry for replying this late! I was out of the city for 3 days and couldn't get a chance to go online from a decent enough device... So, like MamaO, it's interesting (though when I think of it not so surprising) to know that so many have this problem... It also seems like the likely culprits are either carpal tunnel, or fibro. Since I don't strongly suspect having carpal tunnel, I'm thinking it's probably the fibro, and/or the medications making life a little more hazier than it already is! So it has been really helpful. Thank you everyone for your input and once again, so sorry for the late reply!

A friend of mine, who also has PsA, joke all the time about dropping things and even accidentally launching things at our children or spouses accidentally because our brains seem to just forget we're holding onto things. I've had muscle testing done and MRIs (c-spine, brain, thoracic), with no answers as to what is the culprit. (I have left side weakness and the testing was more for that, but nothing showed that would be causing the dropping of stuff, either.)

It's definitely something to mention to your rheumy, but usually not something to be overly worried about.