Online med warning

Apparently the product UMary has been very effective at bringing near instant relief from arthritis pain. The article is from a local radio station 45 minutes from where I live. Just a reminder, just because it says “organic” or “natural” doesn’t mean it is safe nor good for you. The source of the product is also a big warning.

2 Likes

Hello Amos! Thanks for that article link. We are singing the same song here.
Years ago I was head grower in a smallish commercial greenhouse. It was not organic but we used the smallest amount of least toxic things possible to produce the quality product our customers expected. And we very very rarely used bad stuff. I took classes on and was licensed for safe application and use of some rather nasty compounds. One of the worst of which was an insecticide that was organic and natural. Nicotine. Yes, nicotine, that stuff that SO many people suck into their lungs on a frequent basis. Granted, what is in a cigarette is much lower levels than what was in the insecticide but cumulative over time with regular use.
My point is that there is a GREAT deal that is organic and natural that will kill you very dead or make you very sick and/or cause permeant damage. I assume Canada has the same (or nearly the same) stringent drug testing and laws as the US. Those laws make a lot of people upset because they often attribute it to ‘the greed of Big Pharma’. (The validity of such claims is not a topic of discussion for this forum so I’m not going there) But if one looks at how such laws came to be one will see that it is much more complex and usually valid, think thalidomide. However, such safeguards are not in place in a great deal of countries where a large number of alternative, natural or other types of drugs and supplements are readily obtained. Nor are those said sources required to list all ingredients. And to be honest, even if they were required a great many just wouldn’t because doing so would be reason for many people not to purchase the product. Greed is unfortunately part of human nature. The best of us exercise restraint in that particular vice. The worst of us freely indulge. Hence we have the ‘greed of Small Pharma’ which produces stuff like UMary.
Bottom line, exercise extreme caution when purchasing anything of this nature. I pray no one is killed or seriously injured using this product.

2 Likes