New to dating

Hey all,
I’m new into the dating scene and it’s been very different. It seems there’s not many people out there who actually care that you have an autoimmune condition. They may say it’s fine once I’ve confessed a few dates in but after that it’s just weird. It’s like when I mention something hurts after listening to a person complain all day they just saw “aww” or “okay”.
I don’t ever talk much about the disease but it doesn’t seem to do any good anyhow. People forget also, which is natural, we’re human after all! It does suck when you can’t make that 4th date work because you don’t feel well enough or can’t drive that day and have to cancel but they don’t even try to understand why…
I think I might be a bit harsh on them because I was with someone for 4 years and got diagnosed at the beginning so I got used to having that person who always just knew. It was like he could see the bad day. Not everyone will be like that I understand, but I just have no idea what I’m doing out here.
Any suggestions would be awesome!!!
Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

Wish I had a magic wand, I’d summon up a perfect date for you just like that!

I think you’re right not to talk about the disease on a first date though. Yet, bizarrely, my husband ranted & raved about all his troubles on our first date. He got away with though because we were doomed (sorry, ‘destined’) to be together. I recall feeling at a distinct disadvantage myself because I was flat broke, had no job at the time but did have 3 kids … I guess dating’s always tough for one reason or another.

It’s an easy thing to say, but while perhaps you will miss out on some fun but dead-end dates with people who are just not boyfriend / girlfriend material, the right person won’t give a fig about your PsA.

Maybe put the disease in the same category as any other allegedly ‘undesirable’ characteristic (and we all have plenty of those!) … Don’t bore a new person who may not have any idea what an autoimmune disease is - would you have understood straight away before you got PsA? But don’t see the disease as any kind of an obstacle to love & happiness with someone who is just right for you, if you put it in its place then others will take their cue from you.

1 Like

Sybil,
Thanks for the great advice!
I think it’s probably best left on the back burner with all the other things!
I will try to focus on all the new and interesting things! :blush:
I look forward to meeting the person who “doesn’t give a fig” lol.

1 Like

I know lots of people who found their perfect partner because of this disease the previous partner not being at all impressed by it. Persist @FK25 because by definition persistence always wins and there are decent caring men out there too. However just to make you laugh I can across a FB post yesterday which said ‘Don’t give up waiting for Prince Charming as he’s probably only stuck climbing a tree somewhere’ or words to that effect.