Nail psoriasis

I have only ever had scalp/skin psoriasis,my meds so far have been sulphasazine,methotrexate with Humira & with Enbrel. I am now on Remicade infusions. Anyhoo it now seems as though I have nail psoriasis on my toenails not on my fingernails. Was this always going to happen or is it more likely because my PsA isn’t properly controlled yet? Thoughts please.

Like RMTC said

I too have only had it under my nails and it went something like this...

18 years old undiagnosed/no meds I started to get a tiny bit on my right big toe. By the time I was twenty, same scenario, I had P under both big toes and a couple fingers. At 26 years old I had P under most of my toes and half my fingers but, not real bad P. However the swelling and pain was at the highest.

26-27 years old I went on Enbrel. After a few months the swelling and pain was almost gone and the P under my nails was going away. The fingers clear up first(less than a few months), when your meds are working. The toes, especially the big toes, take 6 months or longer, when your meds are working.

What I've experienced is; 13 years ago I could stop taking my Enbrel and the P under my nails wouldn't come back for 6 months. Then, 6 years ago If I stopped it would come back in less than a month. Today, I have P under half of my fingers and 3/4 of my toes and I don't dare stop taking my Enbrel!

Just to clarify, I only stopped taking Enbrel for these periods due to insurance lapse. Also, I am only discussing my "Nail Psoriasis" as that is the topic of your discussion.

Hi Robert, may I ask, do you also have a PsA diagnosis?
Thanks , Cheryl

Robert said:

Like RMTC said

I too have only had it under my nails and it went something like this…

18 years old undiagnosed/no meds I started to get a tiny bit on my right big toe. By the time I was twenty, same scenario, I had P under both big toes and a couple fingers. At 26 years old I had P under most of my toes and half my fingers but, not real bad P. However the swelling and pain was at the highest.

26-27 years old I went on Enbrel. After a few months the swelling and pain was almost gone and the P under my nails was going away. The fingers clear up first(less than a few months), when your meds are working. The toes, especially the big toes, take 6 months or longer, when your meds are working.

What I’ve experienced is; 13 years ago I could stop taking my Enbrel and the P under my nails wouldn’t come back for 6 months. Then, 6 years ago If I stopped it would come back in less than a month. Today, I have P under half of my fingers and 3/4 of my toes and I don’t dare stop taking my Enbrel!

Just to clarify, I only stopped taking Enbrel for these periods due to insurance lapse. Also, I am only discussing my “Nail Psoriasis” as that is the topic of your discussion.

I have nail psoriasis. In my twentys I could see the pits now they are just thin and lift prematurely with any trauma. I did spend one winter with 2 toe nails taped so they would not fall off. But my P has been under better control since starting meds but my PsA really has not been. My P has always been hard to see. I have a large patch on my scalp but is non-plaque forming so it looks like a burn on my scalp, hard to see due to my hair. I also have inverse and guttate P. Inverse looks like reddened ares under breasts, between buttocks and guttatte looks like little droplets of tea that burned like little sprinkles on my lower legs and ankles. Non of them are plaque forming. My sister has P which is plaque forming which has flared terribly at times. She also has PsA in one tumb joint which is in remission, she says, after bee sting therapy. I have never done bee sting therapy, I think it scares me more than the meds! I do a biologic, Remicade right now, Mtx and Celebrex. I have pretty debilitating PsA that has never been under good control. I was born with deformities in both ankles and was casted on both legs the day after I was born. The doctor told my mother it was not club foot but a packaging problem, like the uterus would not stretch to accommodate me. It was 1957, what more can I say! I was diagnosed in 2008 but probably have had it my whole life.

Hey Clr,

I am diagnosed with Psa. That was over 13yrs ago when I started taking Enbrel.

Thanks…

Robert said:

Hey Clr,

I am diagnosed with Psa. That was over 13yrs ago when I started taking Enbrel.