MTX question

I started taking my MTX on Saturdays instead of Fridays due to it making me so tired. It’s ruining any
Weekend I can possibly have so I want to go back to
Fridays. I took yesterday - Saturday - can I take
This Friday or do I have to back up a day each week until I
Reach Friday again?! Make sense?

Hi Suzanne, I would just take it this fri. You should be ok. I’m going to split my dose in half, it made me too sick. Or just call the doc.I think it’s ok. Hope you feel better today.

LOL, I was considering changing my day, and that’s exactly the question I had! Another person you could ask is your pharmacist. I will ask mine the next time I go into the drug store.

You can change, however you have to stick with the plan. If lets’ say you took your Meds’ just Monday gone by you certainly wouldn’t do it again on Friday. Wait until your next dose whether it be a week or two and then get back on track. You would basically be double dosing and you certainly dont’ want to do that. I myself am on Humira and changed the date to a Tuesday, this epi pen is taken every two wks. So now if I wanted to change back to lets’ say a Friday, I would have to wait the following 3 days and then do the injection. Best to wait a few days to get back rather than taking it to soon. Good luck and I hope everything goes well with you. Again dont’ take your next dose until the time you were on prior even if it means mising a few days prior to going back to your normal date. Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

I just started taking MTX and am currently taking it on Sunday, early evening. I read that it helps to take it then to minimize the effects. So far, I still have fatigue but it hasn’t been that bad. I’m with you, you need to be able to enjoy your weekend if you can. You might want to make a quick call to your doctor to be sure. I think if you haven’t had severe side effects like nausea, and headaches, you should be able to switch it to a different day without too much of a problem. From what I understand, you then need to try and keep to a schedule for while so you don’t mess up your liver.

Thank you!

Marly said:

You can change, however you have to stick with the plan. If lets’ say you took your Meds’ just Monday gone by you certainly wouldn’t do it again on Friday. Wait until your next dose whether it be a week or two and then get back on track. You would basically be double dosing and you certainly dont’ want to do that. I myself am on Humira and changed the date to a Tuesday, this epi pen is taken every two wks. So now if I wanted to change back to lets’ say a Friday, I would have to wait the following 3 days and then do the injection. Best to wait a few days to get back rather than taking it to soon. Good luck and I hope everything goes well with you. Again dont’ take your next dose until the time you were on prior even if it means mising a few days prior to going back to your normal date. Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

I asked my pharmacist today. He said you can just take it a day earlier. But if the change is going to be three days, to skip your usual day wait 10 days between doses instead. He was very casual about it: I got the impression that it isn't a biggie, that there's no problem with a 6 day interval, but that it's better to take them 10 days apart than 4.

Hope this helps!

Oh Suzanne, I'm in the same fix. I take it Friday evening, and I spend the weekend in a chair. Unable to do a thing; no energy at all. I'd love to know what the concensis (Okay I tried spelling that owrd four different ways. I give up!) is about this -- when to take it and how to change the schedule. My rheumy is horrible to reach to get a question answered. She lets the nurses field the questions and sometimes, I think they may not know as much about PsA as I do. So keep me in the loop, please!

I changed my schedule because I ran out of pills so I started them when I got them refilled. Anyhow the dose was upped. Last week I took 8 MTX. Sick! So this week I’m going to try 4 this morning & 4 tonight.I’m dreading this because I was so nauseaus. So good luck.I think it’s better to be a few days later than a few days sooner.

I have swopped the tablets for the injection (25mg) as I was so ill on the tablets. ITS A MIRACLE. such a difference I don't have the side effects at all (well very mildly). I now have no fog, no nausea etc. My last dose of tablets was on a thursday night and the nurse come to show me how to do the injection of the following wednesday. She says as long as there was 5 clear days in-between. Before I swopped to the injection I spoke to a rheumy about splitting the dose and she said no problem just as long as it was within 24 hours. I did find this helped slightly. Hope this helps.

Does MTX make you feel horrible ? How many do you take ???

My husband has PsA. He’s on MTX injections. I find about 2 days after I give him the injection, he gets extremely moody, nasty and darn right difficult to live with at times. He gets very bad headaches, insomnia, and loss of appetite and sometimes nausea & diarrhea from it as well. It does nothing to alleviate his pain. He had started on the pills, but the insomnia was so bad, he could not function at his physically demanding job. He still has insomnia on the injections, but to a lesser degree. He also picks up frequent colds, as MTX suppresses your immune system. He’s been on MTX for over a year. It has done very little for his pain, but has given him improved mobility.

Ashly0316 said:

Does MTX make you feel horrible ? How many do you take ????

Hi Ashly, I take six pills every week (15 mgs). I'm not fond of this drug; it leaves awful fatigue for days and some GI upset as well. But my arthritis is on a rampage these days and rheumy feels like I should be on it to delay or offset permanent changes. She says it's helping me--swelling in joints is down. I wish I could tell it is helping me!

She did suggest changing to the injections to both increase the bio-availability of the drug and decrease side effects.

Are you taking MTX?

Ashly0316 said:

Does MTX make you feel horrible ? How many do you take ????

Hi I take that same dose . I take it on sundays , Its awful . My Rhumatologist said the injections are hard to come by now. I believe the MTX is NASTY and really difficult for me. I have also been on Remicade for the last 3 years, I go every 4 weeks, and now I am on Methadone for Pain. I am in the middle of a pretty bad flare up and strep throat so I also am on Prednisone and A Z pack . So I am a mess this week :( it sure isnt easy ... my hands have been inflammed more and more lately ...