Mini Strokes called TIA.s

Xeljanz can cause clots and has been taken off the market in Australia. Other Jakk Inhibitors are also under suspicion and not recommended. I suffered a second TIA known as a mini stroke due to a clot. This was confirmed by a Vascular Surgeon who did surgery on a almost blocked right side Carotid Artery. I had this checked out and the Doppler ultrasound showed there were no changes or blockages in the right Carotid Artery and no changes in the left side, therefore it must have been a small clot.

On the previous visit to my Rhuematologist I told him about the second TIA and that my primary care doctor said it was likely to have been a small clot. The Rhuematologist denied that it had anything to do with my medication. I was spending more time off my medication because of Upper Respitory Infections which lasted from 8 to 12 weeks even with Anti-Biotics.

I eventually did an internet search and discovered that a side effect for Xeljanz and Methatrexate can be Upper Respitory Infections along with several other side effects that I suspect were due to my PSA medications.but my Rhuematologist said it was most unlikely. I am now looking for another Rhuematologist. In the meantime I am using Herbal remedies with varying results.

Xeljanz appeared to be the first Jak pulled for treating PsA in the UK at any rate, given the blood clot issues. And I’m so sorry you were affected by them. Another JAK Rinvoq is now quite widely used with reported beneficial effect. But obviously I’m not sure how Australia is treating that one.

Best of luck and I do hope you find a new rheumy fast. Talk to them about the interleukin biologics like Cosentyx, Talz, or Tremfya. Presently in the UK those for whom Cosentyx or Talz is running its course are now doing better on Tremfya.

All other Jak inhibtors in Australia are also not recommended and to only be prescribed with a patients taking the risk after full knowledge of the possible similar risk to Xeljanz. I tried Rinvoq. One of the side effects is Upper Respiratory Infections. I have had one Respiratory Infection after another and even with repeated anti-biotics I am sick for 8 to 12 weeks. I stopped the Rinvoq while on anti-biotics and when finished an extra strong course of Penicillin .4 days later I had another Uppler Respiratory Infection. No contact with anyone with a cold as this starts off feeling like a cold. I told my primary care doctor that Penicillin gives me Vaginal Thrush which it did and she gave me some anti-fungal cream to use whilst on anti-biotics and tablets to take after I finished the course of Penicillin. Then I got a bladder infection or something similar and all the normal treatment of Ural and Cranberry capsules and Herbal Medicines eased it but not cured it. I can’t get to see a doctor for another week so I am continuing with the same treatment. Easing the burning is better than not. I once was on Costenyx and had to go off it because I developed Ulcerative Colitis. Right now I am relying on Herbal medicines, CBD oil, Panadol and Celabrex every second day. I suspect that the increase in my High Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol might also be side effects to Xeljanz and Rinvoq. Cholesterol medication caused leg pain to the extent I could hardly walk. I am trying to eat foods that bring down my Blood Pressure as well as Omega and Vitamin D capsules.

Any suggestions wll be gratefully received and I will seriously consider trying them.

Yes you’re not wrong with the side effects of JAK’s re cholesterol etc. You can play with varying statins to ensure no side effects. There are now so many statins to chose from so there is no need leaving you on one that causes that amount of leg pain. I’ve never had the upper respiratory issues thankfully despite life long asthma issues. Cosentyx can cause Crohn’s but the research says it doesn’t cause Ulcerative Colitis. Sadly autoimmune diseases tend to cluster for the obvious reasons that PsA is caused by a deranged immune system and so too is any other autoimmune disease. So the likelihood of having more than one autoimmune disease is high. I have mild Crohn’s deemed not caused by Cosentyx because it came on too late. Thankfully it is mild so takes minimal treatment to keep it stable.

Cosentyx and Talz hit interleukin 17a. Tremfya hits interleukin 23. Perhaps research Tremfya for discussion with your doctor? It’s worth the discussion at least. Are you not prescribed BP meds? Again there are 100’s of different BP meds like there are statins so finding the right one for you should be possible. Hugs.

Thanks for your input. I am about the change my general doctor, not because I was not satisfied with the one I had. It is because of the 45 minute drive and having to have a support worker drive me there. Older people in Australia with health problems qualify for what is called My Aged Care funding and travelling this far uses up my allocated amount and then I have less hours for domestic help. My general doctor has moved away and a new doctor has joined the practice that is only 15 km away. There books were closed so I will now be able to make an appointment. I am hoping this doctor is a good one. I live on a property out of town with my son and his family.

There may not be any research to say that Ulcerative Colitis is caused by Cosentyn.x. To clarify this the doctor in the Hospital Emergency was adamant that it was the main cause He did saw did say that the combination of having PsA and being on Cosentynx and all the other medication that I was on. the reason I developed Colitis.