Starting Xeljanz on Sunday

I saw my rheumy today and we both agreed my disease is out of control. So I'm stopping the Simponi (I was due for injection on Sunday) and beginning the BRAND NEW pill biologic Zeljanz. It is only approved for RA right now but we agreed it didn't matter. I have to stop the Arava because they have no idea how the drugs will interact since Xeljanz is so new.

Xeljanz is a twice daily pill. My dr. started me on a free one month supply. It will probably take a month to wrestle my insurance co. into covering it. Good news is that Xeljanz has a whole department dedicated to getting insurance to cover it, so THEY will be hassling with my insurance.

I hope this works. I've run through all the biologics in the past 11 yrs, and Simponi only works for about a year, and not spectacularly. I've only been on Arava for 4 months, and it only helped a small amount, so I'm not concerned about going off that.

I got a cortisone injection to get me through Christmas and until my new meds start working. The Xeljanz is pretty typical in that it may take 1-3 months to see results.

Marietta- This is so exciting! You have been struggling for awhile. I am so glad you get to try something new! Even if it isn'r "classified" for PsA yet. I am sure you and your doctor together can figure out how to get it covered. Do let us know how it works for you. I am so pleased for you, I am sending hugs and prayers.

Thanks! I'm excited. It may take awhile but I've pretty much exhausted all other treatments. I've never had a point in my disease where it's been this hard to get under control. I don't know if it's my age (40), the longevity of my disease (30 yrs) or something else. I'm not under stress, am getting more rest than ever, and feeling worse than ever. I've never had this long without a period of "feeling better" on one med or another in my life.

I was freaking out some because for the first time ever I got lots of painful lymph nodes: neck, upper chest, armpits. Dr. concluded it's been because my disease is so active. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to call this new drug. It's as expensive as the biologics, it will need to go through a specialty pharmacy like a biologic, it is different from DMARDS like MTX. I wonder what it should be called as a class of drugs. I guess I should mention to people it is LIKE one of the new biologics instead of calling it a biologic. We need a new name! :)

Thanks for the well wishes!

ilika said:

Note: It's not actually a biologic. Biologics are synthesized from living organisms and the products of living organisms. This new class of drugs is not. So maybe -- not so many issues, we all hope? And, on down the line, supposedly cheaper.

Be sure and post lots and lots of details. How you feel. If it works. Everything. Please.

GOOD LUCK!

I think, like ilika said it is a JAK inhibiter. It should become substantial cheaper in time.

I am extremely interested to see how this works for you. Please keep us posted on your progress, as often as you can. Have you considered starting a blog?

It is exciting Marietta :) wishing you good luck with this new treatment and yes, love to hear more about it when you can x

Wow Marietta--on the BRAND NEW DRUG! The name sounds like a Mexican snorkeling resort. I hope it offers you much relief. It will be interesting to see how this new JAK inhibitor works out. The potential for a non-biologic (aka CHEAP) generic is a ray of hope. Good luck on your new medicine.

Hahhahha the name DOES sound like a Mexian snorkeling resort. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you've hit the nail on the head. I'll think of that every time I take it <snort>

janeatiu said:

Wow Marietta--on the BRAND NEW DRUG! The name sounds like a Mexican snorkeling resort. I hope it offers you much relief. It will be interesting to see how this new JAK inhibitor works out. The potential for a non-biologic (aka CHEAP) generic is a ray of hope. Good luck on your new medicine.

Welcome to Xeljanz Resort where it isn't only the fish that have scales.

1 Like

Tee hee hee. Needed a laugh today! :slight_smile:

janeatiu said:

Welcome to Xeljanz Resort where it isn’t only the fish that have scales.

Marietta,

I’m considering starting Xeljanz. How did it work for you? Side effects? Any info would be helpful. I’m only on MTX at the moment and suffering debilitating fatigue and need something to help.

Hey Frances, if you start it please keep us in the loop how it’s going for you…seems like taking a pill would be so much easier for some people, although I plan to stick with Enbrel as long as it keeps working. Good luck!

I have no idea what my new rheumy will prescribe, but I will let you know. My appointment is on Feb 23rd.

Frances

I was taking Otezla when Cimzia failed on me after 13 months. Otezla is a pill and it made me feel worse, much worse, more fatigued. So, I stopped taking it.