Methotrexate

Would like to hear of experiences with Methotrexate. I've had ten injections now, with some relief, but had to increase dosage recently to 20 mg.

Feet and toes feel numb, a side effect I suppose. How long, typically, does it take for skin to clear? My feet are horrific. Have lost two nails on feet and one on hand.

Joint pain increasing.

Thanks!

You will want to look at past posts. This has been discussed on this site a lot. If mtx is working than higher doses may be the answer. I get numbness with swelling either in my feet or in my spine produces a weird numbness. Welcome and best of luck to you.

Hi, Scubacat
I’m not so sure the numbness is a side effect, I’d be more inclined to think it was a symptom of the disease. My persistent numbness got me into a neurologist who did the testing, and I was told that the numbness and tingling was due to swelling and inflammation deep in the tissues.
I was on MTX for 8 months, with trials of sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine. None of this helped. The S and the H were discontinued and Arava started. There is now very slight improvement, which, apparently, my rheumy thinks is good. I’m not impressed.
Good luck with this. It’s miserable, isn’t it, trying to get around on paws that hurt, burn and tingle. Hey, sounds like an Elvis song. LOL

Hi, Scubacat
I’m not so sure the numbness is a side effect, I’d be more inclined to think it was a symptom of the disease. My persistent numbness got me into a neurologist who did the testing, and I was told that the numbness and tingling was due to swelling and inflammation deep in the tissues.
I was on MTX for 8 months, with trials of sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine. None of this helped. The S and the H were discontinued and Arava started. There is now very slight improvement, which, apparently, my rheumy thinks is good. I’m not impressed.
Good luck with this. It’s miserable, isn’t it, trying to get around on paws that hurt, burn and tingle. Hey, sounds like an Elvis song. LOL

Sorry, something mis-firing in the “edit” department here. I wanted to add that there was slight improvement after four months of Arava, that would be a year after staring MTX.