Methotrexate questions

I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and am taking methotrexate 2.5mg , 3tab 1 time a week. I have been on it for 1 month.

The only real problem that I am having with the medication is that I itch constantly!! Does anyone else have this problem and if so do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks, Nanny Red

I don't take mtx,though all medications have side effects. I would talk to your doctor, with itching you may be allegic

I don't remember if dry skin is a side effect of MTX. Could that be the cause of the itching?

I am thinking maybe that is it...along with the psorasis. Benadryl helps somewhat. Thanks for your reply!!

Stoney said:

I don't remember if dry skin is a side effect of MTX. Could that be the cause of the itching?

I have been on mtx for a year now and am on 25mg per week and no itching at all.

Itching can be a symptom of liver troubles. Have you had your first bloodwork done? How are your liver enzymes?

Three things: 1) make sure you drink fluids the day before, day of and day after taking your dose. It will help your system "flush"; 2) talk to your doc about taking double the folic the day before and day after your dose; 3) I'm taking milk thistle, which is a natural supplement to support the liver. My bloodwork last week (on .6 cc injectable (25 mg, I think) MTX/week was better than in August or September. I don't know how much is attributable to being religious about taking my folic or to the milk thistle. I'm saying it was both.

I though you could notvtake milk thistle with mtx because it is an herb?

My advice would be to contact your doc, this itching could be an allergic reaction, I started on 3 tabs of MTX and am now on 10 and have never had any itching. Good luck x

I want to thank you all for your replies!! I will be discussing these issues with my Dr. this week. It is such a blessing to have a support group to rely on!!

Like marg above, I’m on 25mg and have no itching. Contact your doc if I were you.