Methotrexate and liver problems

I've been on Methotrexate ( lowest dose) for about 3 months. 4 weeks ago at my 6 week check I found out I am already have liver issues. My Rheumy is hoping my liver will settle and I am continuing .4 ml injections once a week until my next 6 week check in 2 weeks. Has anyone else had liver issues right away on Methotrexate? I had baseline labs before I started Metho and my liver was fine. I am not a drinker, never have been.

Its really unusual that the MTX will be the cause. Your doc likley has you continuing the MTX because your kidney numbers were normal. Those numbers almost always go out of wack first. Liver enzymes are pretty inconsistent actually. I sure wouldn't lose any sleep.........

I failed the liver test on three different drugs. MTX is one. It took 2.5 months of MTX 15 - 20 mg. I wasn’t feeling well and got blood drawn from GP. My dermatologist called me and told me to discontinue. I was taking other drugs while on the MTX that might have caused some of the issues. However, in every case, my liver function has returned to normal.

It's good to know others have had problems also. Rheumy wants to add another drug, because I am not even close to controlled, but won't until he figures out what is going on with my liver. I did research on what could be causing liver issues already. I found an article that said obese people are 2x more likely to have liver issues on MTX. I wondered why, so I researched some more and came up with fatty liver syndrome. Strange he didn't see that on my baseline labs, if that is what it is. I am guessing. It took 4 weeks but I finally got off my antidepressant. I had taken them for over 2 years. I am doing fine without....so I am glad I got off, BUT whew wee, the withdrawal side effects were something! Maybe that will improve my liver function also??

I have a load of questions for him this time. My step-daughter is an RN working for a doctor. She says doctor hate it when patients bring lists to their visits, but I think my poor rheumy is going to get one this time.

Thanks for replying. I read a discussion where someone was saying their family and friends get a glazed look when they try to discuss their medical problems. haha My husband actually makes disgusted noises. I don't think he knows he is doing it. It makes me sad. I feel like I am not holding up my end of the bargain/marriage. I've always been so healthy and strong. I feel like I am weak and puny now. :(

People with psoriasis have more problems with MTX and liver cirrhosis than those with other autoimmune diseases. It’s one the primary reasons that MTX isn’t first in line treatment for severe psoriasis in the states anymore. However that being said, people with RA have more AE’s with MTX than anyone else. The authors of the particular study try to blame obesity and alcoholism on the reason why people with psoriasis have higher incidents with liver cirrhosis, but the numbers don’t really back it. More studies need to be done.

Also, there was a recent study that suggest people with psoriasis have more kidney issue than the rest of the population.

If that is the case it's strange. I don't have psoriasis (yet). Well not on my skin. I have it in my toenails and fingernails. I can't wait to see my rheumy to discuss this. Thanks mataribot it gives me something to think about. I am newbie to PsA and just trying to figure it all out.

Here is the adress for the kidney study

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5961

In sickness and health. I don’t think it’s you who isnt holding up their end of that bargain.

Not all docs hate it when their patients bring in lists of questions. Just try to focus on one area though. There is only so much time in one appointment and only so much that the doc can address at once. Keep it to one topic and bring your questions.

justjo said:

It’s good to know others have had problems also. Rheumy wants to add another drug, because I am not even close to controlled, but won’t until he figures out what is going on with my liver. I did research on what could be causing liver issues already. I found an article that said obese people are 2x more likely to have liver issues on MTX. I wondered why, so I researched some more and came up with fatty liver syndrome. Strange he didn’t see that on my baseline labs, if that is what it is. I am guessing. It took 4 weeks but I finally got off my antidepressant. I had taken them for over 2 years. I am doing fine without…so I am glad I got off, BUT whew wee, the withdrawal side effects were something! Maybe that will improve my liver function also??

I have a load of questions for him this time. My step-daughter is an RN working for a doctor. She says doctor hate it when patients bring lists to their visits, but I think my poor rheumy is going to get one this time.

Thanks for replying. I read a discussion where someone was saying their family and friends get a glazed look when they try to discuss their medical problems. haha My husband actually makes disgusted noises. I don’t think he knows he is doing it. It makes me sad. I feel like I am not holding up my end of the bargain/marriage. I’ve always been so healthy and strong. I feel like I am weak and puny now. :frowning: