MTX and Sun exposure

I started on a low dose of MTX a week and a half ago. I then preceded to go on vacation a few days later to southern California. I know that there is a risk of problems with sun exposure so I made sure to use sunscreen. I guess I did not apply often enough because I started with a very itchy rash to areas only exposed to the sun 6 days later. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how long can I expect to be uncomfortable with it? Will it go away on its own, or do I need to go to the doctor?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes! I finally went to the Dr. and was given something to help stop the itching. It was a pill and I don't remember the name of the drug. It was no help. The dermatologist gave me triamcinolone which is a topical ointment. Very greasy and it wore off all too soon and I was itching again. My rheumatologist told me to take famotidine. It worked! I haven't stopped taking it because I am afraid that every time I go outside I am going to start itching. I still apply sunscreen every time I go outside. Aveeno Baby works really well for me. If the rash doesn't go away soon, I would go to the Dr. so something can be found to help you. I know just how uncomfortable it can be and I am really sorry that you are having to deal with this.

Thanks for the help Tirezza. What is famotidine? is it over the counter? I though it would get better once I got home but hasn't. I tan pretty easily and have never really needed a lot of sunscreen. I walk outside on my lunch break everyday for about 40 minutes. I went today, but put sunscreen on 15 minutes before I went out. It started to bother me worse again in that short time. I love being outside and I can't imagine not being able to enjoy the outdoors. If it isn't gone in a few days I will definitely contact my doctor.

Famotidine is Pepcid and you can probably get it over the counter, but I would check with my Doctor first. My rheumatologist prescribed it for me. My brother also has PsA. He lives in sunny Florida, so he has to wear UV clothing. Long sleeves, hat, gloves, the works to keep from getting a rash. This spring I started a new job with the DNR, so I spend quite a bit of time outside. I was worried that the rash would come back, but so far it hasn't. Let me know the outcome, if you don't mind. :)

Tirezza, I contacted my doctors office. They just said that the rash would go away on its on and to make sure I use at least 30 spf sunscreen. The rash has finally subsided, hopefully with the cooler weather it will stay away!

Thanks for letting me know. I hope the rash stays away, too! :)