Medical leave

My rheumy has taken me out of work. My inflammation markers have been going up for my past 4 appointments. I’m a teacher who travels to two schools daily teaching instrumental music. I have to lug a crate around with all of my teaching supplies and instruments. I have to move furniture out of the way, set up chairs and stands, teach 4 classes, and then pack up, return the room to its prior state, drive to my next site, and do this all over again. I do this full time, five days a week at 10 schools.
My HR person called last week to inquire about my health because I’ve missed 25 days of work since August. When I told her, she was surprised I had mede it so long.
So she suggested I take a medical leave. I have supplemental disability insurance which ps ys me 75% of my gross salary for 2 years.
I’m just curious how many of you have had to go on medical leave or even disability with your PsA? Am I just being a wimp for not Staying at my job? Or is this just my new normal?

I have not personally had to miss any work, but that certainly don't make you a wimp. That's what disability insurance is for. If you need to take off to get healthy then I say by all means, do so.

I have opted to work from home, part time. I will likely not return to full time work, although I may start subbing next year once or twice a week when my younger child is in school full time. That's a really tough schedule that you have. With the disability insurance, this may be enough to either get you through a rough patch, or to the new normal.

Wow - that's great that you have 75% disability. You are very fortunate. Wish I had bought disability insurance. I work for the Federal Government and we don't have short term disability - just permanent long-term and it's not near 75%. I"ve missed a lot of work and I'm working on a financial plan to get me through the year including, teleworking, leave donation program at work, getting advanced leave etc.

How do you feel? Do you think you can continue? What is your body telling you?

Frances

Hi Frances. My body has been telling me its too much. Ive taught for 24 years. Im 48 now, and other than the physical demands, im feeling pressure to not take off any more days (Ibe taken 24. Sick days over the past7 months, most of them without pay) from the admin and my fellow colleagues. Ive tried explaining how difficult this job is for me, they arent too sympathetic because, as you know, there isnt a lot that th e y can visually see. My Psoriasis has gotten worse and now is all over my arms. My students are a little bit freaked about it (i tried to lighten the mood when a student asks what is all over my arms…i tell them that’s what happens to you when you dont practice!!)
My body is telling me to stop. My rheumy is going along with whatever i tell her. She know the nature of my job. In my heart i know this is what i need to do. But still feel guilty for not being there.

Frances said:

Wow - that’s great that you have 75% disability. You are very fortunate. Wish I had bought disability insurance. I work for the Federal Government and we don’t have short term disability - just permanent long-term and it’s not near 75%. I"ve missed a lot of work and I’m working on a financial plan to get me through the year including, teleworking, leave donation program at work, getting advanced leave etc.

How do you feel? Do you think you can continue? What is your body telling you?

Frances

I can imagine what a difficult decision this is for you. My sister has Lupus and got her disability approved from the Federal Government 2 weeks ago - she's 46. Aand she was on medical leave for 2 months pending her disability claim. For her it was a very good decision because the stress of trying to get to work with an unpredictable disease made her Lupus worse. With that stress eliminated, she is much better now. But, that's a personal decision for each person. She is allowed to collect disability and work as long as she doesn't get a similar job. So, she's looking for a part time job that fits her medical needs.

I had another thought . . . if you don't want to apply for disability, can you ask for an accommodation? In the Federal Government, they are required to make reasonable accomodations and I have seen people moved to new job positions, allowed to telework 5 days a week, long-distance telework, provided new office furniture and computers etc. Is this an option for you? I hope you understand I'm not trying to influence your decision, just wanted to provide you with ideas and options.

warmly,

Frances

Not an option for me. With all of the things i have to move and carry i simply would not be able to do my job. We did try this but after about 20 minutes it just went to medical leave is your option. Thanks though. I think your sister’s situation is identical to mine but the disease is just different.

Frances said:

I had another thought . . . if you don’t want to apply for disability, can you ask for an accommodation? In the Federal Government, they are required to make reasonable accomodations and I have seen people moved to new job positions, allowed to telework 5 days a week, long-distance telework, provided new office furniture and computers etc. Is this an option for you? I hope you understand I’m not trying to influence your decision, just wanted to provide you with ideas and options.

warmly,

Frances

Oh, so they can't offer you another type of job in the school system? That sounds rather rigid. It's been my experience that sometimes you have to push a little to get the "whole" story about what your rights are. In the Fed Gov't we have an Office of Workplace Diversity that reviews applications for accomodations - it's completely separate from the Personnel Office and Management must abide by their decision.

Again, not trying to persuade you in any direction, but I am concerned that your HR office may not be giving you all your legal options.

I am a nurse and I am on disability. I worked full time but started missing a lot of work. I went to part time but I had bought a disability policy through my employer when my son was small, he is in college now. I was a single mother and was worried how we would eat if I got injured. It was a lucky decision. When I went part time in 2010 it paid me 60% of full time pay although I was only working 2 days a week. But being a nurse I was pressured to take more shifts esp as I was part time so they prefered I work extra and not pay over time to those working full time. And the nurses working full time did not want more shifts. It is really hard. I struggled still on part time so I went out on disability in May 2012. I have been on Humiria, Simponi, Enbrel twice and now am on Remicade with mtx injectable once a week. I still am not under good control but I am hopeful Remicade will work. I just had my fourth infusion. My disability will pay 60% of full time pay until I am 65. I go to the pool and get massages every week, sometimes it feels like work! I had to apply for social security disability and have not heard yet. My disability insurance company required it. If I get SSD my disability insurance will reduce it's payments to me by the amount SSD pays each month. If I am refused SSD they have someone who will represent me for a hearing. I am glad I bought into my employers plan. It was only a couple of dollars a week but I never thought it would be used for this but I am glad I had it. It is a hard decision. I am 56 so I was really ready. I have had this for 30-50 years but was not diagnosed until 2006. Now I know the fatigue and pain was not an aging single mom! I will keep you in my prayers and am sending warm hugs to you.

I wish I was as smart as y'all who bought disability insurance ! Smart Michael !

lbeth - we talked about this a long time ago, I am glad you are getting some time at home now. I don't think you are being a wimp. Obviously this disease is different for each of us but I can tell you that there is NO way that I could be a classroom teacher again, never mind a specials teacher having to travel, moving furniture around, etc. Yikes.

I am blessed that I can use my credential from home. I know my situation is very unique. Even working mostly from home, I have had a hard time keeping up this year.

Speak to a financial planner with your union and determine where your vestment is with your retirement program. ALSO and this is very important where you sit with your medical insurance some short term disability covers it some don't. You could have a nasty surprise. The other option is depending on your district policy you may be eligible for a sabbatical year.

Moving from specials is tough I know but remember Title I doesn't usually require special endorsements if it does your state voc rehab will help provide them and generally pretty easy to get provisionals. Many districts are doing some online programs etc that could possibly work for you

Wimp? No. Teaching is as physically demanding profession there is. Is it the end of your working life? Doesn't need to be.

Remember , SSDI doesn't come with medicare for 2 years, you'll pay for what ever insurance you get. You can't go without insurance with this disease. You will need a way to supplement for a while.