Anyone switch careers because of their PsA?

Hi all,

I have been teaching for 17 years and due to the fact that the pace im my position has gotten insane, I feel like I am doing assembly line teaching, I am thinking I may need to switch careers. Things are only getting more rigorous with the new teacher evaluations, and it is not the worry of being evaluated I already am, it is the additional demands now beyond the already nonstop days I have. I am an elementary music teacher and I know that probably sounds pretty easy to some, however they are cutting the arts so those of us fortunate enough to have the senorioty to be spared are now teaching in multiple buildings and I have 600 students a week plus 2 choirs that meet before school at 7:30am two days a week. There is a job open in the county with state retirement and benefits as a social worker for mental/physical disabled adults. The job description seems musch more adaptable to working more at your own pace/scheduling etc. The problem with my job now is my classes are back to back to back and I cant be off my game mentally or physically with a new group of kids every 40 minutes. I can;t even get a bathroom break or take medicine. I realy think I may not be able to stay full time with my disease the way it is. Anyone have a similiar situation and find that it worked out for them?

I am so sorry you are having such a time. My SIL is a special needs teacher and her work load has increased also. It is quite a burden to her and she is healthy. If this new postion is or seems to be easier then you should apply. You may find a job change just the ticket to improve your health.

good luck and job hunting to you :)

Thanks so much....I am going to apply, it doesnt mean I will get it or have to take it...it just may be the right choice in the end.

jot1 said:

I am so sorry you are having such a time. My SIL is a special needs teacher and her work load has increased also. It is quite a burden to her and she is healthy. If this new postion is or seems to be easier then you should apply. You may find a job change just the ticket to improve your health.

good luck and job hunting to you :)

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Stress, whether physical or mental, is really hard on a body, especially if it's a sick body. I did have to change careers 4 years ago. I was a massage therapist, and had my own business for about 3 years. PsA hit my hands first, and within months, I cut back on clients, until finally I had to stop completely. The hands did improve some, and had hope that I could start back up again, but no. Just too much pain and too little strength in hands. So now I work for a contractor on a military base. You just have to do what's best for you.

I couldn't keep working 12 hour shifts at the hospital. Unfortunately I didn't look for something else. My conditioned worsened and I was cut from my job. Now, I work in home health 3 days per week. I get to sit in my warm car, drinking whatever I want, go into homes where I don't have to lift, push, etc. I am very happy. I hope you find a way to work part time or find a different postition to make your life easier. You look young, which means you have many years of a career before retiring. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Thanks Michelle, I have 13 years to go before I can retire from teaching and get my full retirement...so I am going to look or try for disability I guess.

michelle said:

I couldn't keep working 12 hour shifts at the hospital. Unfortunately I didn't look for something else. My conditioned worsened and I was cut from my job. Now, I work in home health 3 days per week. I get to sit in my warm car, drinking whatever I want, go into homes where I don't have to lift, push, etc. I am very happy. I hope you find a way to work part time or find a different postition to make your life easier. You look young, which means you have many years of a career before retiring. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Thanks Heidi....it took me a long time to accept my reality and see what too much physical/mental stress did to the severity of my illness, now I have no choice.

Colorado Heidi said:

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Stress, whether physical or mental, is really hard on a body, especially if it's a sick body. I did have to change careers 4 years ago. I was a massage therapist, and had my own business for about 3 years. PsA hit my hands first, and within months, I cut back on clients, until finally I had to stop completely. The hands did improve some, and had hope that I could start back up again, but no. Just too much pain and too little strength in hands. So now I work for a contractor on a military base. You just have to do what's best for you.

I'm a teacher too and this past year when my PsA was really bad, I switched to a different school setting. My contract is with my school board, not a specific school, so my transfer was pretty easy. I went from a traditional high school math teacher posting to working at an Outreach school. The outreach setting is a lot more flexible and doesn't require a lot of the urgency that goes with a traditional school setting.