Inverse psoriasis under breasts? Anyone with knowledge of it?

Michael,

Thanks so much for all of the very useful information. Looks like I need to pick up some items this weekend, including the Monistat and cotton shirts and bras. I'm so glad for all of your suggestions. For one thing, my doc never clued me in about keeping the area dry or the cotton shirts/bras. Also, your in-depth description of inverse psoriasis was really helpful. It surely sounds like what I have, except for the redder border. And the photos of yeast infections show little bumps in the rash, and I don't have that.

Thank you, too, for your in-depth directions for applying the meds and drying the area. I'm hoping this helps to clear the rash up and your help, as well as everyone else's, will surely give me a better chance of losing this nasty rash. Again, thanks!

PS: Does your butt crack rash hang around a long time? That's got to be just hideous to deal with. I honestly can't think of a worse area to get a rash. Could you use a sun lamp for this type of psoriasis, so you could get rid of your butt crack rash quicker? Geez, all of this talk of rashes is getting me itchy all over!

Seenie, it's so odd how you can have psoriasis clear up in one area and stay in another. And have differing types of psoriasis. And I've heard other people talk about MTX awakening their psoriasis or worsening it. How odd that a drug meant to control PSA can cause much more P to pop out. You'd think just the opposite, wouldn't you?

It's also odd that P can wait until after PSA has developed to finally pop out. I wonder why it stays dormant for years and years until the PSA starts, in many cases? And what on earth is it about too many skin cells being produced that makes a nasty illness like PSA develop? Arthritis from too many skin cells? It sounds almost like science fiction, no?

But I really need to figure out what's going on with this rash because I've got bad arthritis in my SI joint/back and other joint pains so I want to be sure that it ISN'T PSA. Will breath a lot easier to get an "all clear" on this rash.

Thanks to all for all of your help here. Not much info is written in discussions on inverse psoriasis, so I'm hoping others are learning from our discussion as well. Good topic.

Thanks for the suggestion Petunia Girl but it really doesn't bother me that much. And honestly I would be afraid I would burn myself and feel sooooo much worse! Not to mention how my dogs and cats would laugh at me! i keep my BC clean and dry and it feels like a small burn with very little itch. The psoriasis on my scalp does itch and burn. If it becomes very inflammed and drives me crazy I put prescription clobetasol on it, maybe twice a year.

I love this site; the people AND the subjects!

LOL about your laughing dogs and cats! You have them too, eh?

Yeah, I could see where burning yourself with a sun lamp might be a weeeee bit of a problem. BTW, not to be rude, but how did you come to find out it was psoriasis in the BC? It's not like you can see it yourself...did a doc dx it?

michael in vermont said:

Thanks for the suggestion Petunia Girl but it really doesn't bother me that much. And honestly I would be afraid I would burn myself and feel sooooo much worse! Not to mention how my dogs and cats would laugh at me! i keep my BC clean and dry and it feels like a small burn with very little itch. The psoriasis on my scalp does itch and burn. If it becomes very inflammed and drives me crazy I put prescription clobetasol on it, maybe twice a year.

I love this site; the people AND the subjects!

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one! Had inverted psoriasis for years under my breasts and yes my butt crack ( in UK its bum crack). Worst was the fact that as I’m affected with P with any skin trauma so when I had my children I got it ‘down there’ too. It used to split and bleed too which was horrendous! Luckily my lady bits cleared up after 3 months ish both times on its own but I’ve used Dovobet cream over the last few years ( prescribed by dermatologist) which contains calcipotriol and betamethasone for under boobs and butt crack when needed and it clears in a couple of days now if caught early enough
I let ‘the twins’ swing free as much as possible at home…infact that’s one of the first things. I do when I get in from work, much to my fellas delight :wink:

What useful info I learn here: just in time for my UK visit in a couple of weeks. Not that my BC is likely to be a topic of conversation. LOL!

Imagine, talking about our BCs … who started that, anyway? LOL Love this board!

Louise Hoy said:

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one! Had inverted psoriasis for years under my breasts and yes my butt crack ( in UK its bum crack).

Its amazing what can be discussed amoung friends Seenie, Where abouts are you heading in the UK? I know you like some of the UK town names…one that’s maybe relevant to the BC conversation and is near me is a village called Trowley Bottom ! :slight_smile:

When I had my first body wide explosion of Psoriasis - instead of elbows, knees, and scalp - I also got the sort of rash you are describing. I had to stop wearing a bra,and now only wear one if I go out of the house which is rarely these days. I did not put the two together and in fact did not know about this condition until I read your post. It was quite painful and I thought it was just a heat rash but it did not respond to the usual heat rash prevention/remedy methods. It cleared up when I started the Methotrexate.

I had this same thing years ago. A dermatologist declared it to be inverse psoriasis and prescribed a steroid cream. BIG mistake. There is no air circulation because the problem area is in a skin fold. The steroid is, therefore, held against the skin for longer periods of time than would be true if it were exposed to air. If you are familiar with occlusive dressings, it's the same principle in action. In other words, by occluding the medication, you make it stronger. My skin became very thin and I developed HUGE (like half-inch wide) stretch marks.

I now see a different dermo who recommended Cerave' cream and corn starch baby powder (Gold Bond works best for me). I use these liberally! My skin is in much better shape now, but the steroid damage will never be fully repaired.

Yeast loves to grown in areas of psoriasis, so the distinction is often very hard to make. Both things could be going on at the same time.

Geez, that's interesting. A lot of people with P famiy background could have P and not even know it, as your comment shows. From what I've read, it can show up in the oddest places, including on your tongue, in your nose, in your navel, and even between fingers and toes. But who'd ever guess? I'm thinking that you've got your answer as the Methotreexate cleared yours up. BTW, do you get it again when you put on a bra?

Gimpsalot said:

When I had my first body wide explosion of Psoriasis - instead of elbows, knees, and scalp - I also got the sort of rash you are describing. I had to stop wearing a bra,and now only wear one if I go out of the house which is rarely these days. I did not put the two together and in fact did not know about this condition until I read your post. It was quite painful and I thought it was just a heat rash but it did not respond to the usual heat rash prevention/remedy methods. It cleared up when I started the Methotrexate.

WOW, Byrd Feeder, that's a BIG mistake for a dermie to make! Very upsetting to even hear of it. That's such a sensitive area anyway, and I can't imagine the skin being made thinner there. So NOT GOOD. I'm glad that you've got it under control now but what a shame that damage has been done and cannot be undone. However, if mine does prove to be the big P, I will be SURE to refuse steroid creams, thanks to your letter. What you say totally makes sense and I'm just shocked that your first dermie didn't know that.

Byrd Feeder said:

I had this same thing years ago. A dermatologist declared it to be inverse psoriasis and prescribed a steroid cream. BIG mistake. There is no air circulation because the problem area is in a skin fold. The steroid is, therefore, held against the skin for longer periods of time than would be true if it were exposed to air. If you are familiar with occlusive dressings, it's the same principle in action. In other words, by occluding the medication, you make it stronger. My skin became very thin and I developed HUGE (like half-inch wide) stretch marks.

I now see a different dermo who recommended Cerave' cream and corn starch baby powder (Gold Bond works best for me). I use these liberally! My skin is in much better shape now, but the steroid damage will never be fully repaired.

Yeast loves to grown in areas of psoriasis, so the distinction is often very hard to make. Both things could be going on at the same time.

Ok, Lamb, well get out the matches again because BRA BURNING IS BACK, BABY!

LOL, I never realized it before but yeah, your time tied up in bed did sound a weeee bit ummm...kinky.

tntlamb said:

Hey I don't make the rules, I've been in favor of you gals going bra-less for years. I encourage such a thing In fact if look at some of those old news films from the 60's and 70's when some gals were burning the things I was the guy standing there with a box of matches always willing and ready to help......

Yeah i was tied in bed, I think they technically called it traction.......
Petunia Girl said:

I must say it really annoys me in the summer months when men can run around braless and we can't. It's soooo hot and you guys get to take a break from the heat while we gals suffer in those itchy, hot bras. No fair, wah wah!

Lamb, you always have interesting stories about the past. Five years believing something is an infection is downright amazing. At what point did you realize it was PSA?

You also had an interesting story about your early treatment with PSA - being tied in a bed or something like that. I gotta say, though, if I were a young reader and saw that story, I probably would have headed for the hills and never dealt with the PSA again, LoL!

tntlamb said:

I have always gone braless, so never have had the problem but without a culture there is NO way of knowing. Almost all Rx creams have a some steroid in them which treats the psoriaisis.

I went five years believing the patch on my knee was an "infection" because it responded to the 48.00/tube cream. The 10.00 high concentration steroid cream from the Dermi cleared it up in days......

Oh No! Say it ain't so! That's even worse than the butt crack, I believe. What an awful, awful place for P to pop up. Esp. the splits and bleeding. UGH! I mean, PSA is bad enough, let alone having P down there too. It must have been awful to get rid of because of sweating down there.

I'll bet your hubby likes the twins swinging free, so that's one unexpected benefit.

Louise Hoy said:

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one! Had inverted psoriasis for years under my breasts and yes my butt crack ( in UK its bum crack). Worst was the fact that as I'm affected with P with any skin trauma so when I had my children I got it 'down there' too. It used to split and bleed too which was horrendous! Luckily my lady bits cleared up after 3 months ish both times on its own but I've used Dovobet cream over the last few years ( prescribed by dermatologist) which contains calcipotriol and betamethasone for under boobs and butt crack when needed and it clears in a couple of days now if caught early enough
I let 'the twins' swing free as much as possible at home.......infact that's one of the first things. I do when I get in from work, much to my fellas delight ;)

Petunia Girl- I diagnosed and Derm confirmed. When it was really bothering me years ago i took a look by using two mirrors. All I could really see was the bright redness and knew......

That's a good idea. Thank you. I must say though, even with the one mirror, it sure LOOKS like it. Siiiigh.

michael in vermont said:

Petunia Girl- I diagnosed and Derm confirmed. When it was really bothering me years ago i took a look by using two mirrors. All I could really see was the bright redness and knew......

Well, I broke out AGAIN when I wore a clean, cotton bra, despite keeping the area very dry and using the medicated powder. Went to the doctor, who said she didn't think it was inverse psoriasis because my rash looked wet and inverse psoriasis looks dry. I thought inverse poriasis looked wet too??? At any rate, she gave me a cream version of the powder, only stronger. It's helping but I'm wondering if putting on the bra will cause the same result.

Can any of you let me know if your inverse psoriasis is wet or dry? I thought I saw an answer here that said wet. The reason it makes a difference as to whether or not I have inverse psoriasis is because I have awful pain in my back and SI joint (temporarily improved due to cauterization) and I need to know if it's "just" osteo arthritis or PsA. So thanks for anything you can add!

Not sure, Petunia. It seems to me that if you are perspiring, it's going to look moist, no matter what the cause of the rash. I do remember the dermatologist at Cleveland Clinic telling me it was most important to control moisture under there (hence the powder). Wish I could be of more help. Hope it clears up for you soon!

It looks dry on me. Though if it is damp I have to wipe the sweat off but it isn't a "mushy" rash, it is a dry, non-oozing rash. I hope this helps.

I think it helps. Mine is shiny, like it's sweaty, but not oozing. Not mushy either. Just shiny at times. So maybe doc is right. Thank you!

This may not be relevant but I know in yeast infections of the mouth the reason they keep happening is because people don’t change their tooth brushes. You may need to try getting new bras that a breathable and cotton. Or even look into underarmor with moisture control stuff. It’s just a thought. I hope that it gets better.