For the Ladies Lookin' good with PsA (Guys, you have been warned )

I was wondering if any of you ladies have discovered any beauty secrets or items that have made your life easier and more enjoyable as a PsA woman.

I admit I am a girly girl, and I care about fashion, cosmetics and shoes ! All of these things have been impacted by my illness and I have had to make some changes. For example, I have recently discovered Genie Bras and they have changed my LIFE!

I have a lot of soreness in my rib cage from the PsA, and bras are hot, sweaty and torturous for me. Can I get an "amen" ladies ? I HATE bras. Before I had five babies I could get away without wearing one, but those days are over.

I have tried other sports bras, but they always gave me a "uniboob." NOT good. Anyway, I was in Walmart picking up my methotrexate and saw a box of Genie Bras and there were 2 in the box, one nude and one black, for 19.99.

I picked them up and could not wait to get home and rip off the medieval thing I was wearing so I could try one of the Genie Bras on. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was like a dream come true.

They do run a little small, so size up. I can wear them for much longer than my other bras before I feel like I am going to die ! They do not have an underwire and do not chafe. They have removable modesty pads to conceal perky nipples, a plus ! They fit nice and smooth on your back, no back rolls. They are easy to hand wash and you can hang them to dry overnight.

So, all in all I would say that the Genie Bra has granted at least three of my wishes !

Thanks for the tip mimiB,

I'm a bit of a 'perky' one so I actually used that to my advantage when dating (they often didn't see past the nipples to the limp!) but the modesty pads are often a good idea when you don't want to be so.......err......visable lol.

The only bras I've been wearing since my PsA became worse is the Sainsburys own lace brand (supermarket, here in the UK) They are the only underwire I can wear and are so comfortable, soft and stretchy but give good shape. As they are so soft and stretchy they are easy to do up at the front and swivel round, they also come in many colours and can match with their own brand knickers (or is that panties?) too

Another beauty tip is that Body Shop do a lovely Strawberry Body Butter......... its the best one I've found for long lasting moisturiser and has never aggravated my P even at its worst, and even the dermatologist was surprised by how moisturised my skin is......and I smell of strawberries! :)

A topic dear to my heart :)

One product that I *love* for super achy days is Origins ginger lotion and bubble bath. The ginger seems to really help with circulation and makes me feel great, at least for a little while. It smells divine as well.

I have been using extra virgin coconut oil for everything (including cooking) lately. Hair conditioner, skin and lip balm. Smells super good, tastes good and is heaven for skin.

I just caught the tail end of a program today that suggestedd using pureed pumpkin as a skin treatment- the enzymes are great at exfoliating. I don't know how that would effect the PsA though... Might be worth a try.

Last (that I can think of now, anyhow) are the new BB creams that are out. Dior is nice but pretty pricy. Loreal makes a good one that is more reasonable- it is in the skin care section rather than the make-up section, but it does double duty. The nice thing about them is that they have a lot of anti-aging and other benefits, but have the coverage of a light foundation as well as light diffusers that hide imperfections without making you look, ummm, glittery, lol.

I will have to check out the Genie bra as well- that rib pain is killer...

Sorry ladies the only one that beats the perky one is none. Doing my best to help where ever I can. The Best look? Nekid holding a T Bone

For my feet, I love the shoes from the foot smart catalog. I like to wear slip ons and they have fashionable ones!

For my upper half of my body, I found bras there also that support the back and fasten in front so my shoulders do not hurt as much.

My sky high inflammation rates over the summer caused a lot of hair loss. I was feeling really gross. I got a hair cut, bought some new (inexpensive) hair styling products, and some fun hair clips. It has made a big difference in how I feel. I also have lots of facial swelling from the steroids - I have spent more time doing my eye make up lately. With the hopes that people will look at my eyes and not my swollen face/neck.

I tried the Genie Bra and LOVE it! Wish it had been around in 05 when I was recovering from breast cancer surgery and radiation. Because nothing felt comfortable. My only problem is that it is pulling it over on days that my shoulders/neck is tight and sore. So what I need is a Genie bra that is just as soft and comfortable that I can hook in the front.

I want to try the BB creams but I have unexplained facial sweating. And every product I use that is moisturizing causes me to sweat it right off my face. I've said in the past that pain is easier to deal with than that sweating. at least with pain no one sees it. I've always worn a base foundation. And this has made going out very difficult on me. I can get used to not wearing make up all the time. But what I refuse to give in to is sweating everywhere I go and giving up on finding a "sweat proof" make up.

Shoes??? Oh how I miss all my pretty shoes! Foot Smart shoes are great, pricey but great. But ultimately wearing anything on my feet on a bad day is hard to do. I've noticed that I need arch support regardless of what I'm doing. Walking around in the house.....I need to find slippers with good arch support and soft comfortable foot beds. Oh, without costing a flipping fortune!

Oh I know, I'm expecting a miracle! A perfect bra, a sweat proof makeup and supportive slippers that make me feel like I'm walking on clouds! And if I could just find ways of applying heat to my aching joints without a full body heating pad!!! Oh and without said heat making my face sweat!!! HA HAAAA!~ never-mind.

I used to wear Dansko shoes exclusively. They looked nice and kept my plantar fascitis at bay. Then my foot tendons on the TOP started complaining. So I switched to Haflinger slip ons. They are wool, so warm, breathable, and very comfy. Now the tendons around my toes are complaining, so I'm having to switch to LLBean comfort mocs. Not nearly as stylish but the only thing I can slip on and not hurt my feet. My husband is wondering why I need all these shoes!! But I changed all these things over 13 yrs, it's not like I did this all in one year LOL.

Oh the sweating. The blasted sweating. Mtx causes sweating too? I thought my sweating was from the steroid (and possibly early menopause). I have been having horrific hot flashes, waking up covered in sweat. And out and about? The forehead sweating? So so so gross. Yuck.

I too miss cute shoes. My feet have been swollen lately and the only shoes I can handle are my Crocs. I did just order some 'nicer' warm Crocs for winter. Not cute by any means but at least I won't look like I am heading for the beach.

I think I need to find a Genie bra. I have been wearing the Fruit of the Loom tank style sports bras when I am hurting but sometimes they are difficult to get on or don't feel great - the Genie Bra looks softer. Although after babies and gravity I wonder how effective the Genie bra would be for me.

I need to keep my hands and wrists warm, and have gotten tons of compliments on my arm warmers from katwise on etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/katwise).

A woman can never have enough shoes!! especially when you've got PsA........I have loads of shoes that I rotate, because nothing is comfortable long term as my feet have swellings that come and go in strange places............except my work shoes, Binki's I've had them 7 years!!! and just have to change the cork inner sole every few years. When I first got them I was horrified how hard they felt but because they support every part of my foot and are as wide as a boat they get me through my long shifts.

tnt, you're a pig. et hem, anyway... How do you women deal with the dreaded hair dresser? Do you tell them up front about the psoriasis or do you let them find out on their own? I find myself sticking with one (crappy) stylist just so I don't have to go through the "I won't be offended if you need to wear gloves" conversation.

A good T-bone gets anyone's attention..... Even better than pork chops.

The most important thing is to be comfortable and confident. After about 30 a steak is as likl;ey to draw as much attention than anything being worn (or not) Think how hard it is for guys to looks "studley" with this disease.....

Yeah I'm a pig prolly why I've had to stay with the same woman since I was 17 and nearly a half century later still think she is the most beautiful creature there is. Don't know HOW she puts up with me.

mimiB said:

LOLOLOL, Lamb! What does the T Bone have to do with anything.....I am afraid of the answer.

Awwww! LOVE it! I adore a good love story. My husband loves a good t-bone and ME scales and all... even after 16+ years.

tntlamb said:

Yeah I'm a pig prolly why I've had to stay with the same woman since I was 17 and nearly a half century later still think she is the most beautiful creature there is. Don't know HOW she puts up with me.

I actually emailed a hairdresser once to ask if she would be ok cutting my hair while I was having a bad psoriasis flare. She didn't even email me back. So rude.

Angie said:

How do you women deal with the dreaded hair dresser? Do you tell them up front about the psoriasis or do you let them find out on their own? I find myself sticking with one (crappy) stylist just so I don't have to go through the "I won't be offended if you need to wear gloves" conversation.

bwahahahahahaha I was wondering what your reply would be hehe

tntlamb said:

Sorry ladies the only one that beats the perky one is none. Doing my best to help where ever I can. The Best look? Nekid holding a T Bone

The hairdresser problem is solved. I used to tell them I have psoriasis. It is bad ( not anymore I have no scalp P at all thankyou MTX and Humira) I tell them this over the phone. A professional always has the correct answer(a non professional had no idea what I was talking about and so did not get my business) nNone ever opted for gloves.

Genie bras sound brilliant. Thanks I will look for some on my next trip to Wally World.

alas orthopedic shoes are all I look at. I am still trying to wrap my head and wallet around a very cute pair of shoes for only 450.00. Only in Canada.

oh and a good can opener is important. OMG my life if over if I am finding a can opener as a conversation topic. I just bought a creative chef one at the thrift store for 2 dollars. It works marvelous.

bubble bath I use Avon Lavender. Epsom salts eucalyptus scent.

Pull on pants. love them. no zippers or buttons to deal with.

hmmm nothing very sexy or girlie here. How about lipstick I never go out without it on. I love the reds.

You can never have enough pairs of glasses in an assortment of colors. ( i lost mine and low and behold as soon I ordered and paid for the new pair the old still new ones showed up ) :)

Sweatproof makeup - has anyone tried shopping at sephora? They have a great range of brands (some pricey) and are good at recommending the right thing. I haven’t tried a sweat proof foundation. But once they found me the best ever sweat proof eyeliner. Some brand that swimmers wear so it’s absolutely waterproof. They sample too if you ask.

I love Klog shoes. They are a little pricey but have a memory foam foot bed and come in cute styles. I love memory foam on my bed too! I sleep with a light blanket as it is a little warmer and Mtx is all ready making me feel like I am going through the change again. As if it weren't fun enough the first time.......

FWIW, my number 3 daughter was a pro tennis player. She used stage make up. Cheap, sweat proof, and effective. (She was "allergic" to the sun.