I get very sick every time I fly - any advice?

I've been sick for a total of 2 weeks in the past 3 weeks after getting on a plane. I mean flat out in bed sick. Stomach virus Oct 11 - 17 and then Oct 22 to present with another virus. It's the second time I've been on a plane this year - the first time I was sick for 2 weeks straight.

Anyone else get sick after a plane trip? Any advice on how to avoid getting sick? I can't get on another plane until I figure out how to manage this problem. I'm on Remicade.

Frances

Woah, sorry. The obvious answer–don’t fly! (Sorry!) Planes seem like Petri dishes to me. Maybe you should wear some kind of protective mask. I wonder whether those really help.

Yes, I plan on asking my rheumy about wearing a mask and if they work. Thanks

The stomach Viruses at least are NOT airborne, they come from contact. (dirty hands) Hand sanitizer really doesn't help as much one thinks. FWIW (and I'm sure there are exceptions) the air in planes is cleaner and more "bug free" than most. It is cycled 6 - 12 times more often than normal places and is HEPA filtered.

So really goes back to "contact" hand washing sanitizing etc. I fly frequently I have learned to NEVER touch my face or eyes except in the privacy of my own home. I also NEVER wear "real clothes" when I wear a nylon "running suit" that I change out of as soon as I can when I reach my destination (it rinse off easily at the Hotel If don't have time to sent it out in the laundry. Its more comfortable anyway. I'm sure you have learned to never eat at the Hotel Breakfast (or any other public feeding trough, salad bar, bar snacks etc) I carry disinfectant wipes in my backpack (you can get them at any Janitorial supply house) and don't hesitate to wipe down my area in the plane. Don't forget to wipe down your lap top after using the tray table.

If you can't upgrade to business or first class, pay the extra few bucks to sit at the front of the plane so you aren't exposed to every filthy seat on the way back. Notice how you use them as Hand rails. On many airline you can pre-select when you make the reservation Always pre board so you aren't in the herd. And for gosh sakes unless you can really hold it don't drink a gob of coffee before flying. (you are best waiting for the Hotel if you can) Never Never and I mean Never use the Handicapped stall.

The problem here is NOT your medication its the 937 or say variations of noro-virus that is absolutely the most contagious of all bugs (and common everywhere) and high concentrations of people in so much of a hurry they don't practice good hygiene.

Thanks for the tips. I thought I was good at using my wipes and hand sanitizer, but I didn't clean the tray table and do some other things you mentioned.

Why not use the handicap stall?

tntlamb said:

The stomach Viruses at least are NOT airborne, they come from contact. (dirty hands) Hand sanitizer really doesn't help as much one thinks. FWIW (and I'm sure there are exceptions) the air in planes is cleaner and more "bug free" than most. It is cycled 6 - 12 times more often than normal places and is HEPA filtered.

So really goes back to "contact" hand washing sanitizing etc. I fly frequently I have learned to NEVER touch my face or eyes except in the privacy of my own home. I also NEVER wear "real clothes" when I wear a nylon "running suit" that I change out of as soon as I can when I reach my destination (it rinse off easily at the Hotel If don't have time to sent it out in the laundry. Its more comfortable anyway. I'm sure you have learned to never eat at the Hotel Breakfast (or any other public feeding trough, salad bar, bar snacks etc) I carry disinfectant wipes in my backpack (you can get them at any Janitorial supply house) and don't hesitate to wipe down my area in the plane. Don't forget to wipe down your lap top after using the tray table.

If you can't upgrade to business or first class, pay the extra few bucks to sit at the front of the plane so you aren't exposed to every filthy seat on the way back. Notice how you use them as Hand rails. On many airline you can pre-select when you make the reservation Always pre board so you aren't in the herd. And for gosh sakes unless you can really hold it don't drink a gob of coffee before flying. (you are best waiting for the Hotel if you can) Never Never and I mean Never use the Handicapped stall.

The problem here is NOT your medication its the 937 or say variations of noro-virus that is absolutely the most contagious of all bugs (and common everywhere) and high concentrations of people in so much of a hurry they don't practice good hygiene

The last time I flew I wore the surgical masks due to the very reasons you mention. I thought it would feel awkward, but I actually got a kick out of the little boy that sat in the row in front of me. I could hear him ask his mom.... mommie, why is that man wearing a mask. Mom quickly shhhhd him and all was well. It worked perfect along with the other attention to hygiene rules we must follow.

The handicap stall while it appears cleaner (sometimes) is not. Bacteria counts are higher on all surfaces. As these are supposedly wheel chair uses. There are more concentrated levels of contamination. They are also at the end stalls meaning less air exchanges. And as much as I hate to say it they have different flush mechanisms spray poo all over, not to mention there are frequently more hygiene problems with this population

I was told by a nurse that nail polish collects bacteria and germs, so I don't wear nail polish.