Humira whilst travelling

Hi everyone, I’m about to start Humira by pen and wondered how any of you go about storing it to travel. We go on holiday in two months time, just for a week, but it’s the week I’m scheduled to inject. I’ve looked at various medical cool bags and travel sharps bins but thought I’d ask you guys before I buy what your experiences have been and what you recommend. Thanks in advance xxx

That’s a good question. Also, are you traveling by plane, as that can complicate things further.

Hi Stoney, yes it’s a five hour flight to the Canary Islans. The airline says liquid medication can be transported in hand luggage in original packaging and shown to airport security. Advised to take a copy of my prescription plus a letter from my doctor or rheumatologist describing the medication. The Humira support team gives conflicting information - on the one hand they say to refrigerate or transport in a cool bag, but on the other hand they say humira can be stored at room temperature up to 25C for up to 14 days then discarded if not used. My take on that is that I could carry it unrefrigerated in my hand luggage then put it in the fridge in our apartment when I get there. But I’m not entirely sure and feel inclined to buy a cool bag - never done this before so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. I’ll ask my nurse on Tuesday but it’s all a bit confusing :thinking:

I know my dr told me once you take it out of the refridgerator, don’t put it back in and just be sure to use it within the 14 days.

That’s something else I read somewhere Rob. It’s all a bit confusing. I might ring AbbVue on Monday. Thanks!

I’d go for the cool bag on the grounds that temperatures in the car/train/plane/taxi or whatever may vary considerably while travelling.

You don’t need a very cool bag, just a cheap little one, the kind you get in Pound Shops. You can put an ice block thingy wrapped up in a tea-towel & plastic bag inside it. As you need to keep the injectors away from the sides of your fridge, I reckon you need to keep them somewhat protected from any ice block too.

I’m not very cool-bag savvy either, but I’ve cobbled together something along these lines when travelling with Humira. I think it was probably fine for a while but after 4 days in a heatwave, I’m not sure it was all that effective. But then neither was I!

1 Like

Very good advice Sybil, thank you. That feels right to me! Kxx

hi I am from Australia and the company sent me a travel wallet and sharps container for free when I registered for their patient care program. Is that not the case in other countries?

1 Like

Hi MacMac

I’m in the UK and have just registered with the Humira support programme. AbbVue is the company. I had a large sharps bin delivered with my first four Humira pens. That’s interesting what you say - and a great idea! I’ll contact them and see if they offer me a travel wallet and mini sharps bin. I’ve seen them on Amazon and will buy my own if necessary. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I did get the travel thing with ice packs from humira but not the sharps container… I got a rubber thingy to open pots as well… lol

1 Like

UPDATE

AbbVie who supply my Humira say they no longer supply travel pouches as the pens can be taken out of the fridge and left out up to 25C for up to 14 days. Advice is to carry pens in original container in hand luggage then put in fridge in hotel room or apartment - as long as it’s used within 14 days.

Mini sharps bins are supplied free of charge from Healthcare at Home (in the UK) who also deliver humira to me.

Advised to get letter from them - a Travel Letter - plus copy of my humira prescription to show airport security if necessary.

Just given myself my first injection. Easy and painless - phew!! Hope it works quickly!

Oohhh I hope I get some too! I’ve emailed them so I’ll see what happens, and I’ll let everyone know xxx