Help with hair!

So, those of you that use coconut oil, what exactly do you do? Scalp only? Ends only? Mix it with other things?

Anyone found any dry shampoos that work/help (my hair is so much more brittle when it's wet, but seems like the oil glands on my scalp are really active, I can really only go about 2-3 days between shampoos)?

Mamma, thanks for the sympathy; I think we can all use some!

Interesting, Nym, I'd love to go this route -- but am afraid of the flakes. I don't have discernible psoriasis on my scalp, but I have developed severe dandruff since developing arthritis (I'm sure the 2 are related!) Do you think coconut oil and baking soda would work for this?

nym said:

I don't use shampoos or conditioners on my hair, as I find my hair worse with them. I use coconut oil treatment every once in a while and wash my normally oily hair with a baking soda rinse. My kids with curly hair use apple cider vinegar rinse on their hair and it's gorgeous. I have a child who has allergies to most soaps, detergents, etc, so shampoo isn't usually to be found in our house!!!

I dampen my hair then warm it up like the old vO5 hot oil treatments, starting at my ends and working my way up I coat everything, after it sits for 30 minutes I wash and do an apple cider vinager rinse. I do it twice a week.

Stopping use of shampoos and conditioners has eliminated my dry scalp and I rarely get psoriasis on my scalp anymore. Being "poo-free" (shampoo-free) lets your body restore balance and helps you have a healthier scalp. :) I do the same as Shutterbug for the coconut oil treatment, but only treat my hair once a month or so.

Shutterbug said:

I dampen my hair then warm it up like the old vO5 hot oil treatments, starting at my ends and working my way up I coat everything, after it sits for 30 minutes I wash and do an apple cider vinager rinse. I do it twice a week.
Thanks, Shutterbug, that's really helpful!

Coconut oil can be found I. Almost every grocery store with the oils and shortening. You can also find the organic kind in with the vitamins. There’s a whole list of things you can do with it. Lip gloss, use it with lotions, in your hair, used instead of oils in food. We pop our popcorn in it.

SK the women I work with say to apply warmed coconut milk (no sugar added) to your hair and leave it on for a half an hour then wash and condition as usual. I did this when I coloured my hair and got good results. But now, as you can see, I embrace , my grey as there is so much of it now. Hope that helps :)
SK said:

Hi nym,

Do you apply the coconut oil to your hair or do you take it internally? I use it on the grand kids for their psoriasis, and I know it is recommended as a cooking oil, salad oil and some just take a spoonful, but I am leery of putting it in my hair. I do not have psoriasis, but the meds and PsA are killing my hair, really thinning it too!

Thanks,

SK
nym said:

It's great you found something that works, Amanda!

I second coconut oil!!! It does wonders for SO many things, including hair!

Thanks, nym, I may give this a try!

nym said:

Stopping use of shampoos and conditioners has eliminated my dry scalp and I rarely get psoriasis on my scalp anymore. Being "poo-free" (shampoo-free) lets your body restore balance and helps you have a healthier scalp. :) I do the same as Shutterbug for the coconut oil treatment, but only treat my hair once a month or so.

and to the right of this discussion is an ad for Loreal Ever Creme! LOL So now I know what the bottle looks like!