First time with a Massage Therapist for PSA - ideas?

Good morning,

Over the years, I have had many massages, but today will be my first one specifically for PsA. Any advice? I find that I now have trigger/pressure points all over my body, often an inch or less away from a joint (elbow, thumb, knee). Hopeful he will not only help relieve that pain but also shed some light on what that is. I find that my rheumy is really good at the meds but that I rely heavily on everyone else - OT, this board, etc. - for day to day help.

And suggestions?

Thanks

I too am looking for tips on a PsA massage. I've heard massages are very helpful. Planning to go this week. I guess it will be trial and error ? I'll let you know what works for me.

Good Luck!

Frances

Frances,

Well, here's the update. The massage therapist was a great guy and clearly works with folks with various conditions and injuries. But...he was baffled about what to do from me. He found some typical tension in my shoulders (not PsA related) and took care of that. But on my pressure points (SI joint, between my shoulders, knee/IT band) not only was he unable to relieve the pain, the pain is much worse today. I didn't even realize my SI Joint (tailbone) was in such bad shape until he started to work on it. He is studying on PsA before I return but I'm thinking I may wait to go back until I'm in less pain, if that makes sense.

Discouraged. Hope your experience is better.

Lorrie

I went for a massage and chose the deep tissue. It was a mistake. It felt wonderful as I was having it done, but when it was over I felt intoxicated. The following day my body hurt in ways I had never known. Not to mention that spent the weekend sleeping due to the pain and fatigue. I will go back and ask what they suggest instead of deep tissue. Hope that helps.

Find a new massage therapist both of you.

There is very LITTLE about PsA that is remotely compatible with massage and a whole BUNCH that can be aggravated by it. Those "pressure points" sounds most likley like Enthesis (plural: entheses) massage wil create HUGE problems They are the attachment points for tendons and ligaments. One of the primary types of pain in PsA in called Enthesitis. massage will aggravate it. the same thing with S'Is they have less than 5 degrees of flexion in the first place, forcing movement will dramatically increase the pain levels and inflammation not to mention possibly cause permanent nerve damage. A "REAL" massage therapist (under the supervision of a PT or Physiatris MD - not a graduate of "massage school") will not normally touch a PsA patient because of the high possibility of spondylitis with PsA.

Muscle tension (spa massage) is one thing but anything deeper is asking for trouble.

I have had great luck with something called cranial sacral massage. There is not any deep muscle work but very gentle "adjustments" for lack of a better word. The majority of the massage he spends lifting and holding my spine from neck to sacrum allowing gravity to stretch the spaces between the vertebrae He touches the knots in my shoulders and they just unwind, a very odd sensation. The hardest pressure he exerts is around the hip/pelvis area but it does not hurt. He throws in a little "spa massage" just to make me feel good at the end. He did work with a chiropractor and a naturpath either before or after massage school. I have spondylitis and a lot of spine pain and stiffness. I had been doing yoga for years and it helped immensely but was not able to do it any more. I was very picky and tried lots of massages till I found him.I sort of fell into this guy when I was looking for someone who could work with someone with PsA. He has worked with people with RA before but not PsA. When I explained about the tendons esp the insertions he seemed to understand. It has made a huge difference in my pain level. I can be pain free for 24 hours after walking in a heated pool and stretching out and the going to masseur. They are close enough in distance so my muscles are still warm when I get to the masseur!

I'm very fortunate in having a mother in law who practices cranial-sacral living only 80 miles north. (Shes 89) Danged if I know how or why it works, but it does. Of course I have to put up with a few other oddities in her treatment...... Ear candling, salt baths/electrolysis for my feet (to suck out impurities) and a warm castor-oil plaster. They don't seem to do any harm though. As long as I make her gluten free beer, she'll treat me. occasionally something doesn't feel right to her (and it doesn't feel right to me either interestingly enough) so sh'ell call some of her friends over to help.

As much as having four women having their hands all over my mostly naked body should be appealing, they range from 85 to 101. The oldest is a "healer" (medicine woman) in the Flathead tribe. I went into a mjor flair while up for a few days for christmas a few years back. MIL called for reenforcements (all I wanted to do was sit in the hot tub and drink - heavily)

They were there in minutes. I wasn't too taken back when she started burning sweet grass (the 101 year old) I 'd seen that before) then she asked me if I'd been drinking - I hadn't) It was at that point I realized the sweetgrass was only for incense. She then brought out a "pipe" which had a very strange resemblence to a very modern Cannabis vaporizer. and the "tobacco" strangley sweet........(but didn't mix with alcohol) I ate a LOT of fruit cake that day. I don't remember the flair either.

Whatever works so long as it does no harm......

I can not imagine having 4 old ladies putting "hands on" me while being almost naked! It took me a while to get use to a guy (my son's age) putting hands on me. But I have gotten past all that. It has made a huge difference for me. When I am too lazy to swim first I go after the massage. I am not sure it makes a difference but I do know the two together are a winning combination for me. I have been lazy about it this snowy February but I am hoping as the Remicade takes old (I have had the 3 loading doses I get my fourth, first full dose, on 3/7/13. I hope I have more energy as the weather clears to do it weekly instead of 2 a month.

Can't say enough about the pool.... The PT department is very near my office. They have a therapy pool I can use (98 degrees. I love it. If the regular pool is just a bit too cool I go into spasms. I wonder if I could bring my old lady squad?

Speaking of the CS therapy, the Heart Center has one on staff as major part of the Rehab program. So it isn't JUST laying hands and sweet grass.

I have too many tender points. My daughter and my boyfriend tease me that I'm not a huggy person. lol I'd never live through a massage.

I found a program or therapy pool 88-92 degrees not too far from my house about 35 miles which is close by Vermont standards. I can't do cold water either, I spasm also. It, along with the cs massage is the only thing that makes a difference. Yoga, dance walking..... all use to make a huge difference for me but not now. I end up too sore the day after now, though I can do modified yoga and dance in the pool. I do love a shopping day, with lots of rest or a walk in a botanical garden with lots of rest but have to recouperate for a da or two afterwards. The pain is in my spine and tendons in my groin that seem to squack for a day or two afterwards but so worth it! Tomorrow is my birthday and my husband has promised me a shopping day with dinner after! So looking foreword to it! And I will get one swim (or in my case walking!) and a massage later in the week!

Massage helps me, it takes several days before I feel the benefits. So give it time before you dismiss it. Sometimes I am not up to a full body massage and I focus on my worse pain areas and just have my feet massaged or my hands or my shoulders or only my back.

Massage can hurt when we suffer from PSA. For me it hurts in places I never realized were sore. The painful spots are probably due to Enthesitis which is inflammation where the tendons attach themselves to the bone just above the joints.

Unfortunately you do need that deep type of massage to break up the knots, the lumps and bumps and to help release the toxins. It could be your body trying to get rid of these toxins out of your system that made you feel so tied and fatigued. If it felt good while you were having a massage then it wasn't too rough on you. I find those massage chairs far too rough and painful.

It takes a good three or four days for my body to settle down after a massage. After a few days I find I have more movement and less pain for a while and it generally lasts for weeks and sometimes it has stayed improved in some joints. I had the most painful ankles from PSA and the massages were very painful and I came out in bruises. Massage was the only thing that helped. My ankles will probably never get back to completely normal function again but they move more freely now and are less painful and they have stayed that way for over a year now. Just an occasional day where they seem to flare up more.

My adult son who only visits for a few days a couple times a year gives me the best massages and he can feel where there are differences in the tissue and hones in on those areas. I can hardly put up with the pain when he massages those very sensitive spots. He uses very strong smelling linament and creams, I am left with bruises the next day, but a few days later I start to feel the improvement. I had a massage three weeks ago from my son and I have got more movement in my hands. For the first time in a couple of years I can close my hands into more of a fist. I can grip things a little better and just that makes my life better.

The next best person I use is an Osteopath who massages me also stretches me out. He has a good understanding of PSA.

Swimming or exercising in a heated pool is also so good . Even if you just get a foam noodle and just hang in the deep end this will help your lower back.

Lesley said:

I have too many tender points. My daughter and my boyfriend tease me that I'm not a huggy person. lol I'd never live through a massage.

I am facinated by your cat. Does it actually use the toilet as a toilet and if so how did you train it to do that? It would sure beat having to clean through kitty litter!

This is all very helpful. I realize that for each the solutions can vary and by having lots of input, it helps everyone pick and choose solutions.

I've been covering my back with ice packs all day and feeling better. So odd when for weeks I've been under a heated blanket for joint pain. Surprises galore!

Lorrie

My massages never really hurt except for now and then. I never bruise. The closest I can describe is like sliding into a hot bath- It hurts soooo good!

When I had my first flare, I went for my usual deep tissue massage. Oh. Dear. God. Horrible, horrible, very bad, no good idea. It was literally 2 days before I could get out of bed. I have had massages since, but I have learned A LOT more about my body. I let the therapist do my shoulders, scalp, back, glutes, and thighs with medium pressure. She avoids all joints, my arms, hands, feet with any real pressure. She does a very gentle pass over these areas with her hands, but only with the flat of her hands with about as much pressure as you would give a friendly rub when hugging someone. The medium pressure is only used in my muscular areas that typically get tight. Problem areas are gently passed over. I use the same person (also a RN) every time.

Lamb is right ( as usual, grrrr lol!) I don’t think that your typical massage therapist has a clue what to do with a PsA patient. Mine has been willing to work with me, so that I can get rid of some of that muscle tightness that I got from tensing up with severe pain from my joints. We have a rule, “If it’s near a bone, leave it alone.” Hokey, but it works.

Again, like Lamb says (grrrrr lol!) those pressure points do sound a lot like enthesitis. I had that massaged during the first try. Again, the pain was terrible afterward. I dropped the therapy school massage therapist and went to find one who had more experience with treating patients with conditions like ours, and knew more details about anatomy and dysfunction.

Sorry your experience was rough. I know how you must be feeling: frustrated, in pain, and out $50-$100!

I go to a massage place once a month. My therapist knows that I have PsA. She always asks me before we start if I have any problem areas and any areas to avoid. Bottom line is that I communicate to her what hurts and what helps. It only took one session for us to get on the same page. Just like with your Drs., communication is key. I also hydrate really well before and after my massage to get the toxins out of my system quickly. This seems to help.

My therapist really pushes the water too. Maybe that is related to the “intoxicated” feeling someone mentioned earlier? I don’t ever drink water, I have a Diet Coke problem, but I got that sort of “off” feeling after a few massages and water really helped. The therapist said the same thing about toxins. Do you know any more about that?

BP said:

I go to a massage place once a month. My therapist knows that I have PsA. She always asks me before we start if I have any problem areas and any areas to avoid. Bottom line is that I communicate to her what hurts and what helps. It only took one session for us to get on the same page. Just like with your Drs., communication is key. I also hydrate really well before and after my massage to get the toxins out of my system quickly. This seems to help.

Only from what my therapist said and from what I've read before when I could workout like a normal person, lol. A deep tissue massage releases toxins into the bloodstream and water helps to carry them out of your system. Even normally healthy people should drink water daily for this purpose alone.

GrumpyCat said:

My therapist really pushes the water too. Maybe that is related to the "intoxicated" feeling someone mentioned earlier? I don't ever drink water, I have a Diet Coke problem, but I got that sort of "off" feeling after a few massages and water really helped. The therapist said the same thing about toxins. Do you know any more about that?

BP said:

Question.

The arch of my lrft foot is painful, makes it hard to walk. I'm assuming it's from PsA. My massage therapist told me to use a golf ball under my arch and apply pressure, as much as I can take to break up the scar tissue...

Is this doing more damage to my PsA? Or does anyone think it might not be PsA in my arch? It's been there for months.