First time with a Massage Therapist for PSA - ideas?

Hi tb,

This is how my PsA started, with pain in the arch of my feet that was misdiagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis for 18 months. I used a lacrosse ball and a reflex roller - I send you the link later. Also, iced my feet in a large bucket, kept them raised at work and at home. I'm off to work now, but will send more tips later.

tb said:

Question.

The arch of my lrft foot is painful, makes it hard to walk. I'm assuming it's from PsA. My massage therapist told me to use a golf ball under my arch and apply pressure, as much as I can take to break up the scar tissue...

Is this doing more damage to my PsA? Or does anyone think it might not be PsA in my arch? It's been there for months.

Excellent info TNTlamb!! Thanks a ton!!

tntlamb said:

Find a new massage therapist both of you.

There is very LITTLE about PsA that is remotely compatible with massage and a whole BUNCH that can be aggravated by it. Those "pressure points" sounds most likley like Enthesis (plural: entheses) massage wil create HUGE problems They are the attachment points for tendons and ligaments. One of the primary types of pain in PsA in called Enthesitis. massage will aggravate it. the same thing with S'Is they have less than 5 degrees of flexion in the first place, forcing movement will dramatically increase the pain levels and inflammation not to mention possibly cause permanent nerve damage. A "REAL" massage therapist (under the supervision of a PT or Physiatris MD - not a graduate of "massage school") will not normally touch a PsA patient because of the high possibility of spondylitis with PsA.

Muscle tension (spa massage) is one thing but anything deeper is asking for trouble.