Eye issues

Ok, does anyone have issues with their eyes with PsA? I woke up this morning with my left eye burning and running. Has been burning and running all day. This after two days of fatigue, swollen fingers, and painful joints. Waiting for a referral from my primary doctor to a Rheumie.

1 Like

That sounds like dry eye, but I would go get your eye checked. Sudden and just one eye, I would want to get it looked at.

My husband just had this happen recently. The final diagnosis was infection and inflammation, but they also found elevated pressure, the high end of normal. Iā€™m a firm believer in not messing around with my eyes.

1 Like

Call IMMEDIATLY (even if you donā€™t have a DX yet.) Uveitis is indeed one of less common things that happen, but is very serious when it does.

5 Likes

Ok Iā€™ll do that, thx!

Any news on that referral? I reckon thereā€™s quite a few of us waiting eagerly to see you getting the help you need.

Waiting for my doctors office to send my records over. The Rheumatologist will look at them and decide if she will see me. Going to call my primary care doc today about my burning eye.

2 Likes

You need to get to an optometrist or opthamologist - they can see whether there is inflammation in your eye or not with their special gear (your GP canā€™t). Here in Aus, if you just explain you have had recent onset of an inflammatory arthritis and you have / have a family history of Psoriasis and you are worried about uveitis they will fit you in that day. Not sure about where you are but definitely try.

As Lamb says, itā€™s uncommon but serious so needs to be ruled out ASAP.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll do that. I had burning this morning but then it stopped. Iā€™m in need of a new prescription anyway. Thx!

1 Like

Are you able to self refer to an eye doctor? You need to have a full eye exam, with the special equipment. This shouldnā€™t have to wait to see a rheumatologist. You can also contact your GP and ask them to get you in with an eye doctor fast. The point is, if you are diagnosed with Psa (or awaiting diagnosis) donā€™t mess around.

1 Like

Not sure about an ophthalmologist, Iā€™ve never been to one. I was thinking of starting with my optometrist and then going from there.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan. My optometrist can do it, I just wasnā€™t sure how each are categorised in different countries.

1 Like

The optometrist is the starting place if there is no ER type of facility.

1 Like

Iā€™m calling the optometrist as soon as they open this morning. Left eye is burning and watering this morning. But it doesnā€™t look as bad as some uveitis photos I have seen.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that.

1 Like

Just got home from the ophthalmologist, lots of inflammation in my left eye, Dx with Uveitis, Dr is sending a referral to the Rhumie. Glad I went, Dr is Rx anti inflammatory to reduce the inflammation. Did I mention that this crap sucks!?

1 Like

You have now. And you are correct.

Glad to hear that thereā€™s a clear dx, treatment and the referral. Hang on in there (I always say this & it sounds so feeble ā€¦ but it is hanging-on-in-there time).

1 Like

Iā€™m so glad you got your eyes seen to. Yes sadly ā€˜this crap can suckā€™ pretty horribly sometimes. And yes itā€™s ā€˜the hang on in there timeā€™ too. Honestly it does eventually get less sort of dramatic - really it does.

Now push on with that rheumy and get seen and start treatment. Thatā€™s the only sensible way forward.

And just have a big cyber hug from me. The last day or so has been more than enough for you Iā€™m guessing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so glad that you got seeing. Not glad that you have uveitis, but I am glad that you were seeing and diagnosed and started treatment.

I completely hear you on the comments that this sucks. As you have already learned, this is not just a joint disease. The good news is that once you get on treatment this type of thing should be minimized.

2 Likes

Eye issues are always scary and your getting in for examination was a very good move for you AND part of the this ā€œfamilyā€™sā€ education. Thanks for involving us. I woke up last Friday with distorted vision in one eye and was in to the optometrist in a few hours. Diagnosed with Vitreous Detachment. Its healing well on its own. I think it is just an unrelated happening rather than PsA symptom. Unless someone knows more about this.

1 Like

It definitely got my attention. Iā€™ve never experienced my eyes swelling and hurting like that. I got up this morning to a very painful and stiff right Achilles heel. Then my hands swelled so fast I had to really work to get my wedding band off before my circulation was cut off. My eye drops are helping to keep the inflammation down but my hands and feet are another story.