Educating doctors, medical staff about what your Psa

Three weeks ago I had to have my gall bladder removed, never experienced anything so painful in my life. Any way I was amazed that when I was in the ER, almost none of the staff knew what PsA was. My PsA has made my recuperation so much more difficult. Instead of a few days to a week, I had operation pain for 3 weeks, had to stay in the hospital for 3.5 days, instead of overnight. During my stay I had to explain to a lot of nurses about it, so they knew how to deal with my pains. Last year I got a new primary care doctor, and am still trying to educate him. There is not enough out there outside of rheumatologist.

Yup. That’s about the size of it. When I had my hip replaced, I was in the “holding tank” before they wheeled me in for the surgery. It was a bit of a slow time, and there was a lovely nurse who sat with me. Looking at my chart, she said “Psoriatic arthritis? What’s that?” So I explained. Then it got really interesting: she got a strange look on her face and said “I have psoriasis, and lately I’ve been so achy and tired and my feet are killing me …” Very interesting conversation that we had, and then they took me away.

As you said, outside of rheumatologists, there’s not much awareness out there. And (sorry to say)I even wonder about some rheumatologists.

You’re feeling a bit better now, Baklu? Hope the recovery goes well. My gallbladder was a spare part that I’ve never missed.

Interestingly I have not really run into this issue. Feel better soon

I just had cancer surgery. I stayed in the hospital for a week. I had to educate all the staff that took care of me. Two nurses have the symptoms and immediately contacted a Rhumy. There are a lot of uneducated professionals. So educate them!

The GP practice I attend is like a revolving door at the UN headquarters ... they have locums from every part of the world. I've seen doctors from China, Italy, Ukraine, Bulgaria ... and many other places. Even some Brits. On the whole they are very clued-up about PsA. I was in hospital recently (for something not too bad) and all the doctors there knew about it too. Or at least seemed to have a working knowledge and an interest. I think it may have become 'sexy'. Though that is not how I experience it.

It must be quite alienating when you're being cared for by people who know diddley squat about PsA. I hate to think how many times you must have had to repeat the same things.

I hope you're feeling a lot better.

Maybe it’s just become sexy because YOU have it, Sybil.

Oh my days. If only.

Seenie said:

Maybe it's just become sexy because YOU have it, Sybil.

So tell me about the Gall bladder......

After a couple of weeks several ER Visits and two hospitalizations my Grandaughts Grandpa had a Come to Jesus meeting with his Grandaughters care team (including her rheumy) To make a long story short they went back a few years in medical "practice" and ran a HIDA scan. After explaining why they didn't need to because their liver panels and CT scans were negative grandpa did some explaining.

Anyway her Bile ducts were inflamed (no stones) likely as a result of PsA imitating Crohn symptoms. In any event she was right as rain in a few hours after THE RIGHT TREATMENT. The gall bladder remains (for now)

Good heavens. Gallbladders too …

I'm revising my view of how well-informed doctors are. Some of the stuff tntlamb comes out with .... (which I do not take as gospel: I check it, double-check it, let it stand the test of time and again and again it is validated) ... makes me realise that many rheumys probably don't know enough.