Down on bended knee

I can't straighten out my leg without horrible, stabbing pain between my shin and the bottom of my knee. I have had a lot more inflammation in my knees for the past month, but this is insane. I can hardly walk and none of my usual tricks are working (ice, gradual stretching, heat). Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do to get moving again?

Owwwwiiiiieeee! I’m so sorry…that sounds really painful. You could try an Epsom salts soak in warm water to get it moving, but maybe a trip to the doctor, before the weekend, would be a good idea. At least see your PCP If you can’t see your rheumatologist. They can help you with pain, an exam, and any testing. Maybe someone else has better ideas?

You don't need to cowboy this one. See the doc.

Its highly possible that due to some inflammation your knee cap is "dislocated" for lack of a better term. There is a tendon that runs from the bottom of the kness cap to the top of your tibia if is off to the side it irritates the iliotibial band and the muscles tendons to the top of the fibula. If the tendons snap back into the little groove they live in on their own You could have a knee the size of a watermelon over night, bakers cysts.

Of course it could be "nothing" Normally you shouldn't try to DIY this area. Sports medicine guy if you can. Most orthopods groups have a walk in clinic these days if you don't have a regular

Ouch. Sorry you're in so much pain. Maybe the orthopedic doctors should start "limp-in" hours.

tntlamb said:

Most orthopods groups have a walk in clinic these days if you don't have a regular

I saw the rheumatologist today. He gave me a cortisone/lidocaine shot in the knee, told me not to kneel on hard surfaces, to ice 3x day, switched my diclofenac to piroxicam, and declared the Enbrel a failure (it's been almost 4 months) because I still have synovitis/dactylitis in my index fingers and my right fifth finger, and my feet are a mess. He said the knee is probably a combination patellofemoral disease and PsA in my knees, and tntlamb, you were right on about that tendon.

Thanks for all the advice- I wouldn't have gone in, ordinarily. I appreciate it.

Glad you were able to be seen and should see some relief soon.

Thanks, Stoney. I'll either be starting on Cimzia or Humira in the next week or two, hoping like anything that I won't have to do too many several month long med trials to get this really under control.

Stoney said:

Glad you were able to be seen and should see some relief soon.