Does Psoriasis always itch?

Forgive this possibly silly question, but I am still new to all this.

I was diagnosed with PsA without psoriasis in July. I noticed this morning some nastiness between my toes which looks a lot like psoriasis to me. But, it doesn't itch or bother me at all. I always thought psoriasis was itchy or burned and was generally uncomfortable. These areas are very thick dry patches with an almost yellow appearance. I am currently tapering off Prednisone and have been feeling bad, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is actually psoriasis. If it is, I am grateful that it doesn't hurt or itch!

Luckily, I have a rheumatologist appointment on Wednesday, so I will know for sure what it is very soon.

Miz Que

Occasionally, but not always.

I would see a derm about it. Most psoriasis I have seen is white and scaly, sometimes with a red ring around the edge. My psoriasis only hurt or was itchy in the wintertime, and I’ve heard the same from some other folks. I don’t think it’s that unusual.

Skin stuff can be anything. It’s always best to see the dermatologist to confirm, and maybe get some topical meds to help clear it. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Also, there are no “silly questions”. Never be afraid to ask!

I've had plaque P almost my whole life, and it has been itchy only a handful of times. Generally I have thickened skin, which becomes a thick white plaque, which then peels off like a scab leaving raw red behind, which then thickens in a matter of days to a plaque, repeat. My P becomes painful after it peels, and I need to cover it, until some of the plaque builds back up (usually within 1/2 a day). While the plaque is building back up, the plaques look almost flesh colored (my skin is pinkish). More detail than you wanted :)

Miz Que, Your rheumys most likley response will be to dhrug her shoulders or give you a definite maybe. The fact you are on a predi taper makes it pretty likley that it is P. FWIW mine has reduced to a fidt sized patch on one knee. It burns like crazy for 2 hours every week exactly 6 hours after I take my MTX I could set the clock......

Even people without P will get it with predi.........

I have non-plaque forming Inverse and Guttate Psoriasis. There are at least five different kinds of psoriasis and some are really well hidden. I am a nurse and my dermatologist (I use to work with her husband-also a doctor) loves for me to play "find the psoriasis" with her med students. I sit on the table in a little paper sheet while they peek here and there. They invariably find me "clear". She than asks me to show them. My p is hidden under my breasts, between my buttocks, on my scalp, my nails and tiny red dots on my right calf that look like I dripped hot tea there. They rarely itch (except my scalp) and never flake. I have gotten it between my toes too. I use clobetasol on it when it flares, probably less than once a month. When my p flares it is almost always due to injury; ski boot chaff, wedding ring chaff, etc

When the color is yellowish you might want to think about fungus or athletes foot. You can always google to see pics of the things mentioned on here to see if any resemble what you have. I hope that helps.

My scalp always itches, but elsewhere it's only occasional. I've worked in a lot of mine camps with shared showers, and I can verify for a fact that there's all sorts of things that you can get between your toes that aren't psoriasis, so I'd get it checked out by a derm if you can.