Disability Claims

Just wanted to update my status. Diagnosed in January 2014…PsA & RA…continued working…started on meds with rheumatologist. Followed treatment protocol…zero results. Remained in flare status. Pain in arms and hands and extreme fatigue. Health declined and was unable to function at level to maintain requirements of my sales/marketing position. Went on short term disability March 2015…transitioned to Long Term disability. (Paid 60% of monthly income thru disability insurance that I paid by payroll deduction the result of my corporate benefit plan)
When I transitioned to LTD I was required to apply for social security disability benefit program. Applied August 2015. Just notified that my claim has been approved by the social security administration and I’ll be drawing a monthly social security check.
I just wanted to let everyone know that although you’ll hear how difficult it is to apply and be approved…that was not my experience. I had good blood work to establish my diagnosis…followed closely by rheumatologist who was very supportive.
So when I got notified by social security of my approval…it was a good/bad news impact. Now my challenge is to live my life within the parameters set by the desease and pace myself accordingly. Find the positives each day and be forever mindful for both the health that I do have and for that which is lost.
Hope someone finds value in this post as we’re all in this together although I know we often feel very alone.
Cheers,
Tg

1 Like

Definitely good news/bad news. But clearly you need it, so I'm glad to hear that not only were you approved, but that the process was reasonably painless for you.

You did well Tg, you did what you had to do & you won through. I'd see it as a new start I think .... although I know such changes require adjustment. Without the daily job v. disease battle life might just open up in new ways.

May I ask, is your entitlement to social security now open-ended, or do you have to reapply at intervals? Just interested in how the system compares with that in the UK.