A Little advice please

Sooo......just started a FT job in Aug....had to go PT in Sept because I was in so much pain from PsA....just went back FT in October and now Psoriasis is out of control and the PsA has really kicked in with unbelievable fatigue.

Am having to take a hard look at the possibility of SSDI in the future. Should I ask them if I can go back PT or is it better to just stay FT and do what I can until they fire me? I cannot use FMLA because I haven't been there long enough....

Trying to do things right so as not to Jack myself up in the future..

Any experience, suggestions are gratefully accepted! :)

It is really hard to say without knowing more about your individual health picture. SSDI is a long and frustrating journey for many. Many people who would seem to qualify for SSDI are denied. Your best shot at qualifying for SSDI is to have tried many different medications and failed by measurable results such as MRI, PT, OT and physician's notes. It is not enough to have stopped medications due to s/e or "not working" per patient report. It is a last resort only.

I would never advise someone "to do what you can until you are fired". SSDI may view that as something different than disability. It is really important that you have documentation of adapting equipment and working in adaptive ways to fulfill the job requirements.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as work and PsA can be a long and frustrating journey.

This is a tough situation to be in, and I’m sorry you find yourself in this briar patch. Michael in VT’s advice makes sense to me. But there are so many other factors which might influence your decision making or your long-term strategy: what stage are you in with treatment? What therapies have you tried? Have you discussed this with your rheumatologist, and what is the treatment plan now that you find your work is severely impacted by the PsA?
I think you need to look at the bigger picture, and what you want to achieve.
Wishing you strength and a restful weekend!

Thanks for the replies.....in re-reading my post, it sounds like I am giving up and looking for a way out.....please understand I am doing neither! I am new to this disease process and just want to be smart about things. I am having a hard time just trying to wrap my mind around how expensive the meds are! Can't imagine not being able to work to pay for them....

Thanks again for all the input. :)

Do everything you can to be a model employee until you pass your year mark. You only have 6 months to go until you are eligible for FMLA. I know how hard that is when your PsA is out of control, trust me I have been there and it sucks. Find something or someone who motivates you and makes you want to keep on going. Find a way to make yourself get out of bed in the morning. Simplify the rest of your life as much as you can, and devote your energy to keeping your job.

Call your rheumatologist and try to see if there is anything they can do to keep you going for the time being. Maybe it’s time to change drugs? You would be amazed at how much better simply exercising or going to PT can make you feel and it can positively impact your energy levels as well. It’s a matter of making yourself do it.

I don’t say any of that lightly. I know it’s hard and this disease is way more than mind over matter, but I would not have a job at this point if I hadn’t made the decision that I would keep going each day. It’s a constant battle, and some days are easier than others, but I’m making it one day at a time. So can you. :wink:

Is there any way that you can modify your job to better suit your needs? Like if you type a lot, there is dictation software, or telecommuting a day or two out of each week?

Actually I am VERY blessed to have the job I have! I do Customer Support in part of the medical field so it is a sit down job and they have been really terrific about working with me thus far. I just need to get plugged in with a good Rheum and get my energy level back up.

I am learning a lot from everyone on this site and am so grateful! :)