De-stressing/unwinding

So, being that stress is bad for everyone and especially bad for those of us with PsA, I was wondering what others do to unwind and relieve stress.

In the past I would go to the range and spend a couple of hours shooting my pistols and rifles. That’s not really an option at the moment. I’m not one hundred percent certain I would be able to hang on to my 9mm, to say nothing of the powerful calibers. I’m guessing the next day wouldn’t be a lot of fun either.

Some evenings I will pour myself a small glass of wine (usually moscato or port) and SIP it over a half hour or so with no tv/phone/internet/talking or other interruptions. That’s pretty relaxing but I have to be very careful combining alcohol with some of the medications I’m on. I did discuss with a pharmacist and the said to just keep it away from the tramadol and the meds that help me sleep.

Obviously, snuggling up with my little boy is very relaxing but he’s usually asleep by the time I get home.

A hike in the woods(when my feet are up to it) is also great for relaxing.

What do you guys do to relax?

What do I do to relax?

I write. I read. I do wacky creative things (like giving my wheelchair armrests a makeover with duct and electrical tape, which I did this evening, or drawing on things decoratively with sharpies). I lay down, close my eyes, and listen to music ... or podcasts like Wait Wait Don't' Tell Me, TED Talks and This American Life. I take a long, hot shower, then climb into bed with a heating pad and try to sleep. I go outside and look at the clouds, the trees, the sky. I read to my kids.

This Summer, we're going to explore "rails to trails" trails so I can wheel myself instead of walking....and hopefully I'll work my way up to "normal" trials and be able to do some short hikes in the fall. There's a specific rock that juts out onto a lake that I'd really like to be able to hike to and sit on with my family and watch the bald eagles and other wildlife. It's one of my favorite, most relaxing places to be.

Great question!

I love to listen to music. Usually Loreena McKennitt and Sarah Mclachlan (sp?) are my go-to artists for relaxation. There are a great deal of classical composers as well. My absolute favorite is when my wife sings to our son. She had nine years of voice training when she was younger and has a voice like an angel. She sang the Ave Maria at her sister’s wedding and everybody absolutely wept; it was that beautiful.

Hey Bumble,

I like to take a walk around my yard to visit the vegetable patches, flowers and birds. I am fortunate to have such beauties as Blue jays, Mockingbirds, Colorful finches, and at certain times during the summer we can hear a pair of Owls near by.

Though the day has come that we can no longer dig holes in this clay and sandstone soil to plant flowering bushes, we already have lilacs, crepe myrtles, butterfly bushes, hydrangeas, azaleas, roses, bleeding heart, and several other beauties, but I can no longer recall their names!

My husband created a small Strawberry patch for the kids, he made a few raised beds and we have onions, radishes, zucchini and yellow squash, pole green beans, sweet red peppers, tomatoes, the cherry and grape for the kids. He made a great grape arbor, and has added two other varieties. He used these landscape timbers to also enhance the front of our little cottage with beautiful, big flower and shrub beds. My little 9 year old grandson selected and planted these for me again this year, and the tiny little great grandson 27 months helped! This will be our most beautiful flower garden of all times! We also have a little kitchen herb garden out the back door. The boys love the chives for their baked potatoes, and I love the fresh basil for the spaghetti and ziti.

We have planted Mimosa trees, crab apple, my favorite is an Eastern Redwood, similar to a Hemlock, magnolias...

So this is my favorite way to relax, get out of the house, and to get moving. When the boys come to visit we walk around together and visit them all, I try to teach them their names and how to take care of them, when and how to pick them, and we cut fresh flowers for the table when they are here, I let them choose the flowers and the vase.

Some of the little creatures we have that also enjoy the yard are chipmunks, squirrels, groundhogs, racoons, moles, voles, skunks, deer, and a myriad of cats from the neighbor... some are a real challenge!!

It has stopped raining for a moment, time to go take a walk!

SK

I don't know what a mimosa tree is, but a mimosa on Caribbean Island sounds good. Ideally Seenies leg would be all better, her Psa in remission.., one of us would win the lottery and would get us all to a spa Hotel near seenies house so she could do a wine tasting for us.

You are such an illustruous character, lamb! OBTW, I was a bartender in a past life, I know how to make a Mimosa, a Mai Tai, Singapore Sling, Sex on the Beach, even a Suffering Bastard!! Yes, those are really drinks!

tntlamb said:

I don't know what a mimosa tree is, but a mimosa on Caribbean Island sounds good. Ideally Seenies leg would be all better, her Psa in remission.., one of us would win the lottery and would get us all to a spa Hotel near seenies house so she could do a wine tasting for us.

As a Christian, going to church, reading my Bible and Christian music is my stress- reliefer. Personally I do not know where I would be without my faith.

I’m at church almost every Sunday. It is very relaxing and uplifting. My only issue with it is shaking hands is really painful. I suppose I could avoid shaking everyone’s hand but that’s just not like me. The local contemporary Christian music station is about all we ever listen to in the car. My son loves to sing along both at church and in the car. My faith is often what gets me through as well.

SK said:

Hey Bumble,

I like to take a walk around my yard to visit the vegetable patches, flowers and birds. I am fortunate to have such beauties as Blue jays, Mockingbirds, Colorful finches, and at certain times during the summer we can hear a pair of Owls near by.

Though the day has come that we can no longer dig holes in this clay and sandstone soil to plant flowering bushes, we already have lilacs, crepe myrtles, butterfly bushes, hydrangeas, azaleas, roses, bleeding heart, and several other beauties, but I can no longer recall their names!

My husband created a small Strawberry patch for the kids, he made a few raised beds and we have onions, radishes, zucchini and yellow squash, pole green beans, sweet red peppers, tomatoes, the cherry and grape for the kids. He made a great grape arbor, and has added two other varieties. He used these landscape timbers to also enhance the front of our little cottage with beautiful, big flower and shrub beds. My little 9 year old grandson selected and planted these for me again this year, and the tiny little great grandson 27 months helped! This will be our most beautiful flower garden of all times! We also have a little kitchen herb garden out the back door. The boys love the chives for their baked potatoes, and I love the fresh basil for the spaghetti and ziti.

We have planted Mimosa trees, crab apple, my favorite is an Eastern Redwood, similar to a Hemlock, magnolias...

So this is my favorite way to relax, get out of the house, and to get moving. When the boys come to visit we walk around together and visit them all, I try to teach them their names and how to take care of them, when and how to pick them, and we cut fresh flowers for the table when they are here, I let them choose the flowers and the vase.

Some of the little creatures we have that also enjoy the yard are chipmunks, squirrels, groundhogs, racoons, moles, voles, skunks, deer, and a myriad of cats from the neighbor... some are a real challenge!!

SK

Your house sounds amazing :slight_smile: My dad and I have a bit in the way of flower gardens at our house but nothing on par with you. Yet…

Thanks Bumble, we love it here! I mean there are always things you would like to change, and when we bought it we were well, so we had big plans.

We wanted to name it, never decided on one, I wanted to call it 'Tulip Hill', but the squirrels, and who knows what, else dig them up, so that's out. My husband was teasing me the other day after I had layed around for days, perhaps weeks and told me he decided to name our little place 'Slug Hill'!!! Ha!! That's an affiliation that I want no part of, but it comes with the territory, especially if the grandsons have been here!

We have to have the roof replaced on one side of the house, so I have a big mess, and lots of stress to look forward to, but the contractor is a very jovial, likable young man, so that is a big plus! We also suffer from what I call kid clutter, toys, games, books, balls everywhere!

Oh, hubby also built a sand box for the boys! They love it!

This is a nice idea, something besides the usual whining! ha!

Be well, be happy,

SK

bumble said:

SK said:

Hey Bumble,

SK

Your house sounds amazing :) My dad and I have a bit in the way of flower gardens at our house but nothing on par with you. Yet...

I have a six year old…I know kid clutter :slight_smile:

Hi Bumble,

Yes, and danger, those little cars are so dangerous, I always think of how they were used as self defense weapons in 'Home Alone'!!!

What you may have to do someday is ask your Minister to address the congregation about your inability to shake hands, unless you have a bandage on your hands, people just don't think that a hand shake could hurt you!

My minister and his little Church, that I adore, are too far away for me to travel, riding in the car is torture for me, It was not a problem when I was well, so I pray when I am out in our yard, I have made that 'my church'!

SK

I eat cake and until I started taking mtx I liked a couple of glasses of Rioja to unwind. Now I just have one glass… And still eat cake. I also unwind by sleeping. If in doubt, have a nap is my life motto.

TNT, you're a tease and a blast! I was just surfin' around the site and came across this. Are you baiting me? ROFL -- owee, that hurts, and now how am I going to get up?????

FYI, there is no Spa Hotel near Seenie's house in the Canadian bush. But I know of a lovely little Caribbean Island where I used to live, and if you win the lottery we could all go there. And yes, I'd do a wine tasting for sure, as long as I'm not on MTX and Arava.

Have you bought your lottery ticket? LOL

Seenie

PS Sorry, Bumble, this is your thread, and I kind of detoured. TNT's fault. :-) Glad to hear you are feeling so much better.

tntlamb said:

I did a bit of baiting too, Seenie, not sure you have come across it yet! Lamb misses you when you are gone too long, you know? Hope you are having a good day, and Bumble, so glad the infusion has you out playing with your little boy! That is just the best of news!

You're right, SK, I haven't come across it yet ... sorry, I don't read every single thread here! But I've decided that if I ever get to the point of being allowed a small amount of alcohol, I'm coming to your house for cocktails! :-)

Wouldn't it be great to have a big BASH, with all of us? MG we would have to have parametics, physical therapists, handicap sanipots, infusions stations, wheel chair parking, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan... LOL!! It would be a great time!

Surely my bartending skills are rusty, but would probably come back quickly, about the only blender drinks I make anymore are smooties and virgin Pina Coladas for the kids. They surely do lick 'em up! LOL!!

The 'in drinks' when I was tending, back in the 80's, were the shooters, delicious little things that you gulp down, that go straight to your liver!! Still popular too!

If not in too much discomfort, I clean. Otherw

ise, I snuggle with my pug dogs, Snickers and Baby. I also like to sit on my front porch and birdwatch. Of course, I also spend time on the Livingwithpsoriaticarthritis group to get the support from those "in the know". This group is saving my life!

Hijack the thread all you want :). Laughter is the ultimate for destressing. SK, I am actually feeling enough better that the family is heading to the shooting range in about ten minutes :):):):):slight_smile:

DMaraJade: dogs are great therapy, we have a Corgi at our house who is very lovable :slight_smile: