Need ideas - Not able to go out & Going Stir Crazy

Hi all,

There's only so much Netflix I can watch:-) I'm not feeling well enough to go out, stuck at home and feel like I'm solitary confinement. Any ideas on how I can past the time? I like to do puzzles but my hips are hurting too much to sit in a chair at a table for any length of time. And my energy level is still very, very low.

All ideas welcome !

Frances

Phone calls, books, videogames (simple flash games on the computer or something with a plot on X-box or Wii....Endless Ocean is a wonderfully relaxing Wii game), more phone calls, ordering food for delivery, making a list of something, spending some time researching something new online (one time when I was stuck mostly in bed I spent days learning about hatmaking), finding blogs and reading back posts, spending time reading humorous sites like dogshaming.com, notalwaysright.com, unnecessaryquotes.com. Listening to podcasts on your phone, computer, MP3 player, or tablet (snapjudgement.org has some great involving stories). Peruse books on amazon, then put the ones that sound interesting on hold at your library. You'll have something to look forward to. Browse clothes and shoes online. Did I mention phone calls?!

The above are ALL things I do. I spent most of the past year spending about 6 hrs a day not moving much. I got really good at not being bored.

Thanks Marietta. How are the bunnies?

Marietta said:

Phone calls, books, videogames (simple flash games on the computer or something with a plot on X-box or Wii....Endless Ocean is a wonderfully relaxing Wii game), more phone calls, ordering food for delivery, making a list of something, spending some time researching something new online (one time when I was stuck mostly in bed I spent days learning about hatmaking), finding blogs and reading back posts, spending time reading humorous sites like dogshaming.com, notalwaysright.com, unnecessaryquotes.com. Listening to podcasts on your phone, computer, MP3 player, or tablet (snapjudgement.org has some great involving stories). Peruse books on amazon, then put the ones that sound interesting on hold at your library. You'll have something to look forward to. Browse clothes and shoes online. Did I mention phone calls?!

The above are ALL things I do. I spent most of the past year spending about 6 hrs a day not moving much. I got really good at not being bored.

I love reading books and blogs, and catching up on older blog posts of newly discovered blogs. I love watching videos on welcomehomeblog.com, godvine.com and youtube (I searched youtube for "surprise" the other day and laughed and cried happy tears at all the wonderful videos!). I started blogging when PsA had me pretty much out of commission, and it has been very therapeutic.

Thanks for the ideas nym - much appreciated !

nym said:

I love reading books and blogs, and catching up on older blog posts of newly discovered blogs. I love watching videos on welcomehomeblog.com, godvine.com and youtube (I searched youtube for "surprise" the other day and laughed and cried happy tears at all the wonderful videos!). I started blogging when PsA had me pretty much out of commission, and it has been very therapeutic.

I just wish I had bunnies to play with - that would helpful me spend my time with a smile :-)

Frances said:

Marietta said:

How are your fingers and hands? If they are ok, I can bring up some embroidery that is really easy to learn. Don’t mind teaching you, and it’s so pretty, and has the added benefit of looking very hard and time consuming when it isn’t!

I signed up for Amazon Prime. It’s about $80 a year and has free movie, tv series and books. I love it. There are quite a few documentaries and Downton Abbey is on there along with other movie and tv genres. You could try writing; I do it every day. I use my iPad because its so much easier on my hands. I also have the NY Times crossword on the iPad. There are hundreds to do, so that keeps me very occupied. I read cook books, hunt for new recipes and convert them to gluten and dairy free. There are audio books available from audible.com that are interesting to listen to, especially when the narrator does each character’s voice differently.

If it is sunny, make sure that you pull a chair up to the window and sit for a while. If it even remotely comfortable outside, wrap up in a big blanket, stick a couple of hearing pads in it and go sit outside for a little while. I do this all winter long because I tend to get a case of the winter blues.

Have visitors. We all have those friends who have known us long enough not to care about the shape our house is in. Get someone to bring you carry out and have dinner together.

MAKE yourself bathe and dress every day. Do your best with your hair and put a little makeup on. This has really helped me feel better when I am having shut-in episodes. Try to get into a routine every day and then write it out and stick to it. This includes remembering to eat and eat well…protein, fruits, veggies. When you get really run down feeling, try eating a snack with protein like good cheese and crackers. Sometimes this helps me stave off a nap.

I am thinking about you!

Claire

Chinchillas are wonderful!

Frances said:

I just wish I had bunnies to play with - that would helpful me spend my time with a smile :slight_smile:

Frances said:

Marietta said:

Phone calls, books, videogames (simple flash games on the computer or something with a plot on X-box or Wii…Endless Ocean is a wonderfully relaxing Wii game), more phone calls, ordering food for delivery, making a list of something, spending some time researching something new online (one time when I was stuck mostly in bed I spent days learning about hatmaking), finding blogs and reading back posts, spending time reading humorous sites like dogshaming.com, notalwaysright.com, unnecessaryquotes.com. Listening to podcasts on your phone, computer, MP3 player, or tablet (snapjudgement.org has some great involving stories). Peruse books on amazon, then put the ones that sound interesting on hold at your library. You’ll have something to look forward to. Browse clothes and shoes online. Did I mention phone calls?!

Thanks for asking, my bunnies are SO fluffy and fat from winter, but starting to change to spring coats (no big shedding yet, but a few changes). I wish I could pass on their calming "nibbling an apple" or "nibbling some dandelion greens" cuteness to everyone here. On Monday I was really tired and all I could do was sit on a stool in the bunny pen, soaking up the sun while they nibbled bits out of my fingers and hopped around me.

My son's school is getting some backyard chickens and I've been the lead on that project, as we raised backyard chickens a few years ago, plus my sister has had backyard chickens for over a decade. So excited. The coop is being delivered to the school on Friday (to be put together by the upper grade kids sometime in the next month or two), and we're picking up 5 chicks from the feed store April 5th (when our preferred breeds come in).

Every year his school has a fundraiser to improve something specific at the school. This year the money is going to all improvements the kids wanted in their playground / greenspace: chickens, vegetable beds, and a swingset (last year is was improving technology... a TV, more computers, wifi).

It's a small infant-high school Montessori school, lots of flexibility for doing things like this.

Frances said:

Thanks Claire - is all good ideas. I have no problems with my hands. I did invite a good friend for dinner tonight - first time in a couple months. I was going to order delivery. She has already made dinner plans, but going to re-schedule with her this week. I need to make more of an effort to do that as my friends have offered to come to my house. I like your idea about embroidery. Is that like needle point?- I did needle point years ago and it was relaxing. There's an A.C. Moore very close to my house so I can get the supplies and maybe find another project as well. My sister has amazon prime and I sent my book order to her tonight. I hadn't thought about sitting in the Sun - I'll make an effort to do that also. I do feel yucky about my appearance - so overdue for a hair cut and color - just haven't felt well enough to sit at the salon for a hair cut, color and highlights. And I've been watching the BBC Doc Martin series - love those British shows!

thanks for all the suggestions !

GrumpyCat said:

How are your fingers and hands? If they are ok, I can bring up some embroidery that is really easy to learn. Don't mind teaching you, and it's so pretty, and has the added benefit of looking very hard and time consuming when it isn't!

I signed up for Amazon Prime. It's about $80 a year and has free movie, tv series and books. I love it. There are quite a few documentaries and Downton Abbey is on there along with other movie and tv genres. You could try writing; I do it every day. I use my iPad because its so much easier on my hands. I also have the NY Times crossword on the iPad. There are hundreds to do, so that keeps me very occupied. I read cook books, hunt for new recipes and convert them to gluten and dairy free. There are audio books available from audible.com that are interesting to listen to, especially when the narrator does each character's voice differently.

If it is sunny, make sure that you pull a chair up to the window and sit for a while. If it even remotely comfortable outside, wrap up in a big blanket, stick a couple of hearing pads in it and go sit outside for a little while. I do this all winter long because I tend to get a case of the winter blues.

Have visitors. We all have those friends who have known us long enough not to care about the shape our house is in. Get someone to bring you carry out and have dinner together.

MAKE yourself bathe and dress every day. Do your best with your hair and put a little makeup on. This has really helped me feel better when I am having shut-in episodes. Try to get into a routine every day and then write it out and stick to it. This includes remembering to eat and eat well....protein, fruits, veggies. When you get really run down feeling, try eating a snack with protein like good cheese and crackers. Sometimes this helps me stave off a nap.

I am thinking about you!

Claire

I say make yourself go out tomorrow. Don't let this disease turn you into a hermit. Go to the mall, or the grocery, or Walmart, or to the movies, go somewhere. Get a wheelchair when you go if ya need one. You may think you don't feel like it, but I bet once your out here you'll feel much better.

Also, I've started making whey shakes in the morning and eating more protein throughout the day. I'm researching juicers to get more veggies and fruit in my body.

Frances said:

Thanks Claire - is all good ideas. I have no problems with my hands. I did invite a good friend for dinner tonight - first time in a couple months. I was going to order delivery. She has already made dinner plans, but going to re-schedule with her this week. I need to make more of an effort to do that as my friends have offered to come to my house. I like your idea about embroidery. Is that like needle point?- I did needle point years ago and it was relaxing. There's an A.C. Moore very close to my house so I can get the supplies and maybe find another project as well. My sister has amazon prime and I sent my book order to her tonight. I hadn't thought about sitting in the Sun - I'll make an effort to do that also.

GrumpyCat said:

How are your fingers and hands? If they are ok, I can bring up some embroidery that is really easy to learn. Don't mind teaching you, and it's so pretty, and has the added benefit of looking very hard and time consuming when it isn't!

I signed up for Amazon Prime. It's about $80 a year and has free movie, tv series and books. I love it. There are quite a few documentaries and Downton Abbey is on there along with other movie and tv genres. You could try writing; I do it every day. I use my iPad because its so much easier on my hands. I also have the NY Times crossword on the iPad. There are hundreds to do, so that keeps me very occupied. I read cook books, hunt for new recipes and convert them to gluten and dairy free. There are audio books available from audible.com that are interesting to listen to, especially when the narrator does each character's voice differently.

MAKE yourself bathe and dress every day. Do your best with your hair and put a little makeup on. This has really helped me feel better when I am having shut-in episodes. Try to get into a routine every day and then write it out and stick to it. This includes remembering to eat and eat well....protein, fruits, veggies. When you get really run down feeling, try eating a snack with protein like good cheese and crackers. Sometimes this helps me stave off a nap.

I am thinking about you!

Claire

Good idea. I've just become so afraid to get stuck out somewhere and in pain. I guess I could go for a short trip somewhere, just to get out of the house.

Chris said:

I say make yourself go out tomorrow. Don't let this disease turn you into a hermit. Go to the mall, or the grocery, or Walmart, or to the movies, go somewhere. Get a wheelchair when you go if ya need one. You may think you don't feel like it, but I bet once your out here you'll feel much better.

You should post more pics of you bunnies - I'd love to see them !

Marietta said:

Thanks for asking, my bunnies are SO fluffy and fat from winter, but starting to change to spring coats (no big shedding yet, but a few changes). I wish I could pass on their calming "nibbling an apple" or "nibbling some dandelion greens" cuteness to everyone here. On Monday I was really tired and all I could do was sit on a stool in the bunny pen, soaking up the sun while they nibbled bits out of my fingers and hopped around me.

My son's school is getting some backyard chickens and I've been the lead on that project, as we raised backyard chickens a few years ago, plus my sister has had backyard chickens for over a decade. So excited. The coop is being delivered to the school on Friday (to be put together by the upper grade kids sometime in the next month or two), and we're picking up 5 chicks from the feed store April 5th (when our preferred breeds come in).

Every year his school has a fundraiser to improve something specific at the school. This year the money is going to all improvements the kids wanted in their playground / greenspace: chickens, vegetable beds, and a swingset (last year is was improving technology... a TV, more computers, wifi).

It's a small infant-high school Montessori school, lots of flexibility for doing things like this.

Frances said:

The embroidery is actually called Swedish Weaving. You can google images of it to see some finished products. I use it to make hand towels and throw blankets. I can finish several towels in a day if I am really motivated. That’s one of the reasons that I really like it, because I can have a finished, beautiful product without a ton of time invested. Like I said before, it LOOKS really complicated, but it isn’t. It’s also becoming a lost art. There aren’t many people who do it anymore, so I think keeping the tradition alive and passing it to others is kind of cool.

Chris is right about trying to get out. I would keep it simple and short. Go to the grocery closest to you and ride in the scooter cart. The berries are ripe in Florida, so the produce section is my favorite place right now! The blackberries that I have gotten from Florida are perfectly ripe and sweet this year.

I know for sure that Giant, Safeway, Target, and Wal-Mart all have scooter carts that you can use. Don’t be embarrassed either, I used one last week at Target and got to stay a lot longer than usual.

I don’t know if you’ve given in and gotten a mobility aid yet, but they really help your confidence to get out of the house. I use a cane, but I wouldn’t mind a walker that has a seat on it. They are really nice and easy to move. They run about $110 and are well worth it. Also, see if you can get the primary doc to fill out the form for a disabled parking permit. I got mine and I use it when I feel bad. If I’m doing ok, I don’t mind the walk.

My friends do come see me when I’m having a rough time and they are so good to me. They always ask if I need anything, and they just come to spend time with me. I don’t feel like I am under any pressure to be hostess. I have known them since forever, and having company makes me feel more with it.

I feel like part of the fatigue is definitely your body or the PsA playing tricks on you, but after you spend time stuck in that rut, it’s so hard to get going. If you push through and try do an activity a day that is out of your home, you might find that your energy goes up a little. Don’t try to do too much, just one outing.

Frances said:

Thanks Claire - is all good ideas. I have no problems with my hands. I did invite a good friend for dinner tonight - first time in a couple months. I was going to order delivery. She has already made dinner plans, but going to re-schedule with her this week. I need to make more of an effort to do that as my friends have offered to come to my house. I like your idea about embroidery. Is that like needle point?- I did needle point years ago and it was relaxing. There's an A.C. Moore very close to my house so I can get the supplies and maybe find another project as well. My sister has amazon prime and I sent my book order to her tonight. I hadn't thought about sitting in the Sun - I'll make an effort to do that also. I do feel yucky about my appearance - so overdue for a hair cut and color - just haven't felt well enough to sit at the salon for a hair cut, color and highlights. And I've been watching the BBC Doc Martin series - love those British shows!

GrumpyCat said:

I am thinking about you!

Claire

Yes, I agree. I think I do need to get out and that may help my energy level. Gonna google Swedish weaving now ! You're so sweet - thanks !

GrumpyCat said:

The embroidery is actually called Swedish Weaving. You can google images of it to see some finished products. I use it to make hand towels and throw blankets. I can finish several towels in a day if I am really motivated. That's one of the reasons that I really like it, because I can have a finished, beautiful product without a ton of time invested. Like I said before, it LOOKS really complicated, but it isn't. It's also becoming a lost art. There aren't many people who do it anymore, so I think keeping the tradition alive and passing it to others is kind of cool.

Chris is right about trying to get out. I would keep it simple and short. Go to the grocery closest to you and ride in the scooter cart. The berries are ripe in Florida, so the produce section is my favorite place right now! The blackberries that I have gotten from Florida are perfectly ripe and sweet this year.

I know for sure that Giant, Safeway, Target, and Wal-Mart all have scooter carts that you can use. Don't be embarrassed either, I used one last week at Target and got to stay a lot longer than usual.

I don't know if you've given in and gotten a mobility aid yet, but they really help your confidence to get out of the house. I use a cane, but I wouldn't mind a walker that has a seat on it. They are really nice and easy to move. They run about $110 and are well worth it. Also, see if you can get the primary doc to fill out the form for a disabled parking permit. I got mine and I use it when I feel bad. If I'm doing ok, I don't mind the walk.

My friends do come see me when I'm having a rough time and they are so good to me. They always ask if I need anything, and they just come to spend time with me. I don't feel like I am under any pressure to be hostess. I have known them since forever, and having company makes me feel more with it.

I feel like part of the fatigue is definitely your body or the PsA playing tricks on you, but after you spend time stuck in that rut, it's so hard to get going. If you push through and try do an activity a day that is out of your home, you might find that your energy goes up a little. Don't try to do too much, just one outing.

Frances said:

GrumpyCat said:

I am thinking about you!

Claire

Hey getting caught out somewhere in pain would be the same as being stuck at home in pain right?? Pain is pain. It don't care where you are at. Might as well be someplace fun! :)

Yes and no Chris. The pain is easier for me to deal with sometimes when I'm out, because I'm more distracted. But the fatigue can be really hard to push through. There are days when I can easily lay down by 10 am, but have no choice but to push through until noon when my son goes to school. If I'm home he can at least entertain himself, or I can sit down with him.

Chris said:

Hey getting caught out somewhere in pain would be the same as being stuck at home in pain right?? Pain is pain. It don't care where you are at. Might as well be someplace fun! :)

Go to the movies. If you are going to sit around sit down there.

Use a scooter at Walmart or Target and ride around the store.

Word games.

One thing my therapist wanted to make sure I had was a small pet. Taking care of a pet would force me to get up and move. An animal depends on us to survive whereas our children can fend for themselves.

Thanks Rebel Mom, I have a cat and he's very cute. My fatigue is so bad and my hips hurt when I sit and walk, that I don't think I can get to the movies. But I will try to get out of the house and do something as you said, Target, Walmart etc.