Need ideas - Not able to go out & Going Stir Crazy

Frances,

I found the more I am immobile, the more depressed and weak I get. My doctor suggested that I get a walking cd or go on demand and do 5 minutes every other day (every week increase a minute). Doing anything but dwelling on this disease is better. I found myself in bed, broken not just from PsA but from depression as well. I now, make myself get up in the morning, take care of my animals (3 dogs and a pig), my kids and get ready for work. I CAN NOT ever be home for long periods of time, this will make me crazy. The more mobile I am the better I feel. Currently, I take Humira, MTX and still taking steroids (though the doctor wants to wean me and increase MTX). I am also taking supplements (Omega 3,6,9, Vitamin D, Muti-vitamin and others).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions ! I did get out today - my 77 year old Mother took me to the store today, I'm going to start an exercise DVD and I ordered a book on Swedish weaving ( GrumpyCat, I may be asking for help with this) and invited a friend to my house for take out dinner this weekend.

appreciatively,

Frances

Good for you Frances!

Yeah Frances! Sometimes to get myself moving I go to Walmart and buy something inexpensive, new make up or lipstick for spring, an Easter basket fixing for somebody, I look at books for new ideas, spring clothing at the mall and my favorite a Garden Center. Some days I promise myself a treat from a bakery or a coffee shop just to get myself out the door. Once I get going I usually feel better. I also try to do something for somebody in need anonymously. I keep it to myself, I don't even tell my husband or son. I make a meal or take flowers to someone who might need it. I cook and serve soup at a soup kitchen. At Christmas time I turned around at the register to a young couple behind me in line. They didn't have much money but had picked out toys for their four kids. I handed them a $20 and wished them Merry Christmas. I am not sure it made much difference to them but I felt good the whole day (I hope I haven't ruined it by telling you!) We keep so many secrets that make us feel bad about ourselves and leads us to believe we are less nice than most people think. By doing this I can believe I am nicer than most people think!

Anyway, good for you Frances. One step at a time!

Thanks Michael ! I'm so overwhelmed and grateful for everyone's response and ideas. I did go to the dollar store today and finished up shopping for my daughter's Easter package I'm sending her at college - it was fun. I bought some silly things and it made me feel good. I know she loves my silly packages. I like your idea about helping someone anonymously - think it will help me not think about my health problems if I focus on helping someone else. I do volunteer for a cat rescue group - transporting cats from vets or shelters to various locations. It makes me feel good. I can't always help if I'm not feeling well, but they are so grateful for anytime I can help.

michael in vermont said:

Yeah Frances! Sometimes to get myself moving I go to Walmart and buy something inexpensive, new make up or lipstick for spring, an Easter basket fixing for somebody, I look at books for new ideas, spring clothing at the mall and my favorite a Garden Center. Some days I promise myself a treat from a bakery or a coffee shop just to get myself out the door. Once I get going I usually feel better. I also try to do something for somebody in need anonymously. I keep it to myself, I don't even tell my husband or son. I make a meal or take flowers to someone who might need it. I cook and serve soup at a soup kitchen. At Christmas time I turned around at the register to a young couple behind me in line. They didn't have much money but had picked out toys for their four kids. I handed them a $20 and wished them Merry Christmas. I am not sure it made much difference to them but I felt good the whole day (I hope I haven't ruined it by telling you!) We keep so many secrets that make us feel bad about ourselves and leads us to believe we are less nice than most people think. By doing this I can believe I am nicer than most people think!

Anyway, good for you Frances. One step at a time!

So glad that you escaped for a while today! It was chilly, but at least you got some sunshine. I think it’s supposed to be in the 50’s and sunny on Saturday, so maybe you can get a little outdoor time in.

I would LOVE to help you learn! It is one of my favorite crafts and like most, it is more fun with company. I’m going to drag out the blanket I have been working on and get some stitches in this weekend. I have a few samples I can show you as well. Once you do a towel or napkin or two, you’ll be whipping out throws before you know it. :slight_smile:

Frances said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions ! I did get out today - my 77 year old Mother took me to the store today, I’m going to start an exercise DVD and I ordered a book on Swedish weaving ( GrumpyCat, I may be asking for help with this) and invited a friend to my house for take out dinner this weekend.

appreciatively,

Frances